Retrospective: Philips CD-i

Your comments on our articles.

We cast a look back at one of the forgotten victims of the late 90s console war...

Amongst other words, 'unlucky' is a fair way to describe the whole Compact Disc-Interactive incident.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Retrospective: Philips CD-i

Postby Scarlet_Spider » 06 May 2012, 16:36

Those pictures need sorting out. Not one is in the right place....
Xbox Live Gamertag:Alpha Ryu
PSN ID: Alpha Ryu
Scarlet_Spider 57

Re: Retrospective: Philips CD-i

Postby Soviet1918 » 06 May 2012, 16:52

I think i saw the Philips CD-i working in a shop once playing MJ moonwalker & i wasnt impressed.
Советский Союз
Soviet1918 45

PSN ID: Soviet1918

Postby Paul_Boland2 » 06 May 2012, 17:08

Aww... The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, what brilliant games!!! These definitely need a re-release :)...
Paul_Boland2 49

Postby kirankara » 06 May 2012, 17:11

unlucky? it was awful console, nothing but barely interactive movies
kirankara 57

Postby liquidphantom » 06 May 2012, 17:38

A friend of mine had the CD-i and a sega CD neither of which were played very much, however 7th Guest was one game we did play on occasion and the real stand out part of that game for me was the absolutely awesome sound track. Go look it up on youtube very 80's/90's style horror film rock.
liquidphantom 46

Postby chunkyboymania » 06 May 2012, 18:43

Paul_Boland2 wrote:Aww... The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, what brilliant games!!! These definitely need a re-release :)...

May I point you this way my good man....

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_7th_guest

Also available for iphone... good times.
Sho Ryu Ken and that!!
chunkyboymania 55

Postby Windowlicker79 » 06 May 2012, 20:26

The Angry Video Game Nerd did a pretty funny review of the CDi and some of its games.

Angry Video Game Nerd - CDi (Youtube)
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby Sangor » 06 May 2012, 23:16

It was a glorified video player and did a better job with Karaoke discs than actual video games.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Postby lordirongut » 07 May 2012, 00:16

I've never once seen one in person and all I really know about it is that it has this on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHw5g55oC4
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 68

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 07 May 2012, 03:24

The CD-I is one of a very small selection of consoles that i never bought day 1 and for very good reasons.

It was a crap machine from the minute it was launched, much like the 3DO it was the completely wrong thing for the then current market. Unlike the 3DO it did everything poorly especially games, the 3DO at least had some trully awesome games from capcom and especially EA, the fact the 3DO never took off was a combination of a lull in the games market of that era based on the fact that the initial sales surge from the snes and megadrive era had long since gone and many people who got into games had just given up because it had taken too long for the 32 bit era to arrive and when it did it was so damn expensive, terrible advertising didnt help and the very high price of the technology put most people off.

The CD-I was just poor, it looked like the designers didnt even bother, the controller was filth on the first models, was totally over the top price wise and unless you wanted to watch Star Trek V on video disc there was nothing to do on it, as the badly written article (if you can call it that) points out the zelda and mario games turned out to be trash and apart from maybe 7th guest and burn cycle the years post launch never bore fruit games wise.

I have owned one of these dirty consoles since launch however, got it second hand from ebay a few years back but even that didnt last long, nothing about it made me want to collect for it or keep the stuff i had, it has almost zero legacy in the world of videogames and if it never happened nothing substantial would have been altered to videogame history.

Also the cd-i was released way way way before the playstation was ever announced so it was never harmed by that or the sega saturn etc etc, its competitors were the first pentium pc's and as i mentioned the vastly superior 3DO which to me is the only console even worth mentioning from the 92-94 time, that was a terrible era for games consoles, the awfull sega add-on the 32X, the Atari jaguar (with its even worse cd add on drive), the Amiga CD-32, the CD-I, hell even to a lesser extent the mega cd (although i have a real soft spot for that console).

The problem was that the industry moneymen thought that the future of gaming was interactive video based software ie FMV, it so wasnt and almost every company based their new tech around wowing people with graphics rather than gameplay.

Thank god the Sega Saturn, the Playstation and the Nintendo 64 came along within a 2 year period after otherwise the industry would have died. The Playstation especially showed how you could use FMV all over the place in a game as nothing more than cut scenes and allow the gameplay to be determined by conventional graphics engines to allow the player to do more than just press a button every so often, stuff like colony wars had Digital video all over it but when you came to playing the game itself is was a space shooter like wing commander...... Awesome!!!
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby MrPirtniw » 07 May 2012, 11:45

But at least it had the 2 best Zelda games on it!

...what?
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby Dannyb0yUK » 07 May 2012, 12:02

It's easy to laugh now, but at the time it was amazing!! My friend had one and since his parents bought him everything, he had a tonne of games too. We enjoyed playing the Zelda and Mario games, 7th Quest, Burn Cycle, Defenders of the Crown, some baseball game and a few others. I would've put Space Ace in that list over Dragon's Lair though tbh...
Let's just discuss, not fight.
Dannyb0yUK 37

Postby chip toon » 09 May 2012, 12:10

David Cage's wet dream?
chip toon 20