to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sniper Elite V2 review: It's got guts - but fails as a shoot

Your comments on our articles.

Gory X-ray deaths can't mask dumb AI...

Turns out there's only so many times you can watch a man's skull get cracked open by a sniper bullet in lavish slow-motion. Only so many times you'll tolerate Sniper Elite V2's glorification of pinpoint murder. Only so many times you can observe the grisly effects of your aiming and clicking before you tire of arterial spray and gobs of brain matter. In one sitting of Sniper Elite V2, that limit is about 20.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby monkeyd_93 » 01 May 2012, 17:13

I had the same thoughts from the demo. WAY too linear, for what is supposed to be a tactical sniping game, enemy AI know where you are from half a mile away, yet sit wide in the open to be shot at and other little quirks that made me saddened it wasn't as good as i hoped it to be. Oh well there is still hope for Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
monkeyd_93 35

Postby JOHNKARA » 01 May 2012, 17:17

I have this game on pre-order, and admittedly am a little disappointed by the review.
Not too concerned on the need to exercise patience throughout this game, in fact that is the very reason why I would enjoy playing this game, but was also hoping that the AI would be more capable, considering that it was "spot-on" in the original Sniper Elite.
Well, I will give it a go as have only Max Payne 3 to look forward to going into June and July, so can take my jolly time on this game.
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 46

Re: Sniper Elite V2 review: It's got guts - but fails as a s

Postby JD_Method » 01 May 2012, 17:17

Already pre-ordered it. Played the demo more times than I care to remember.
JD_Method 58

Postby Currambo » 01 May 2012, 17:22

Seems like a bit of a rushed review...
Didnt even mention Co-op which is one of the main reasons me and my friend are both getting it.
Think this is a bit of a niche game to be honest, like the first one. It will have its loyal followers, me included!
Currambo 54

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 01 May 2012, 17:24

JOHNKARA wrote:I have this game on pre-order, and admittedly am a little disappointed by the review.

+1
if it turns out seriously cack i'll get as many achievements as i can be bothered to and trade it as a deposit for sniper GW2
Joe90_Remy700 47

Xbox Live: heart attak joe
PSN ID: heart_attak_joe

Postby Davies2983 » 01 May 2012, 17:57

Loved the demo and have it pre ordered. Shame the review didn't mention anything about the multiplayer modes.
Davies2983 16
New user

Postby Drukqs » 01 May 2012, 18:06

Sceptical about this review, seems forcefully harsh.
Drukqs 22
New user

Postby azz72 » 01 May 2012, 18:19

I'll still get it,better then playing another CoD clone :roll: ,will certainly do me until Max Payne comes out
Currently Playing
Xbox One:,Forza 5,Madden 25,PvZ,Titanfall
Xbox 360:GTA V
PS3:Uncharted 2
WiiU:WW HD,DK
PC:Asseto corsa,MXGP
3DS:Pokemon Y
azz72 51

Xbox Live: timson72

Postby Dralel » 01 May 2012, 18:38

To all the sheep saying "derp, gonna cancel my pre-order nao!!!111!", you should NEVER take anybody else's opinion as universal truth about anything, ever. If you got the game on pre-order, keep it on pre-order, play it and enjoy it. Don't let the opinion of somebody else effect your own. Have a mind of your own.
Dralel 36

Steam: Dralel

Postby Mobius01 » 01 May 2012, 19:08

The truly patient may find satisfaction in meticulous planning

Just what I like.

I've played the demo to death and look forward to the full game.

trade it as a deposit for sniper GW2

No, no, you mustn't do that. You'll be hurting the industry :wink:
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 01 May 2012, 20:30

It was never going to get high scores when it's approached with the mindset of someone who likes shooters. On a technical level (judging from the demo at least) I can see why it would get a low score. The game is clearly not designed to have you rushing through levels but some people prefer a game that lets you use skill and patience. If I was the developer, I probably would have done a little more work on the third person shooter combat and the AI because if one spots you, it just turns into a game of dodgy assault rifle aiming and zippy enemy soldiers but again, the game's a sniper experience and that's the way I'll be playing. Reloading the demo time and time again to perfect shots was fun to me and something that I haven't experienced in many other shooters (Max Payne 2 I would reload over and over again just to watch the fun of the havok physics engine) and the AI didn't seem too bothersome with me. The AI seemed more panicky than problematic for me.

I think I would have notched the score up slightly (but again, that's just from the fun I had with the demo) and have the review made by someone who at least enjoyed the game. Less patient people will want to go with Ghost Warrior 2. This may not be as open as the first game but I find it to be a very, very decent sequel to an underrated classic.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Jensonjet » 01 May 2012, 23:20

So the usual problem that most games suffer from; AI and physics!

I think it's time we stopped expecting AI to improve. It's clearly impossible for the gaming industry to move beyond the AI quality of the 90s. On the hardest difficulty all the industry knows how to do is make the AI aim perfectly and have the capacity for taking bullets like a Terminator!

Ok, so some games mask horrendously old fashioned, dumb AI better than others, but it's an issue a whole industry, a billion pound industry, using state of the art computers, can't resolve in 2012, so I can't imagine it'll ever change. Probably time reviews stopped mentioning AI issues now. Let's just concentrate on all that seems to matter to the industry and sadly the consumer... how were the graphics?
Jensonjet 47

Postby Soviet1918 » 01 May 2012, 23:26

Drop the gory killcam crap and i may get this..

Please please can we have a good tank sim game & dont dumb it down if you do.
Советский Союз
Soviet1918 45

PSN ID: Soviet1918

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 02 May 2012, 00:19

I'm not really surprised by the review, if you play the demo (as I have extensively) it is very linear, looks like crap (for this gen) becomes tiresome with the slo-mo death and most importantly it is very random; spend an age being stealthy only to find you have to break cover or have to take a shot which will alert half of Berlin. However it's a nice pace, sit back and take your time, the sniping is precise and I love WW2 settings so I'll likely pick up 2nd hand.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby billysastard » 02 May 2012, 00:24

Soviet1918 wrote:Drop the gory killcam crap and i may get this..

Please please can we have a good tank sim game & dont dumb it down if you do.

have you tried world of tanks?

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Next