UEFA Euro 2012 review: FIFA ditches the discs - and much of

Your comments on our articles.

Cheap, but not cheap enough...

The prudent question for sports fans is always the same: "Why don't they just make next year's instalment DLC?" Or: "Why not charge a few quid for a roster update". A naive stance, maybe - name a single company that'll ask for less money when it could get more - but you can't say it's not a sensible one.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

UEFA Euro 2012 review: FIFA ditches the discs - and much of

Postby Welshybhoy91 » 24 Apr 2012, 09:32

Good Review. However, if it was launched without the need of fifa 12 would it gain a higher score?
For a person, like myself, that plays fifa almost every day £15 is a good price. There are only a handful of euro teams in the vanilla game anyway. I want to play Lichtenstein (a nation of 30,000 people) and their team of joiners and electricians :D The only team to lose to San Marino lol
Welshybhoy91 31

Xbox Live: Welshybhoy91

Re: UEFA Euro 2012 review: FIFA ditches the discs - and much

Postby kirankara » 24 Apr 2012, 09:52

Welshybhoy91 wrote:Good Review. However, if it was launched without the need of fifa 12 would it gain a higher score?
For a person, like myself, that plays fifa almost every day £15 is a good price. There are only a handful of euro teams in the vanilla game anyway. I want to play Lichtenstein (a nation of 30,000 people) and their team of joiners and electricians :D The only team to lose to San Marino lol

id say if it was released without need for fifa 12 would be easy worth £15, but that's the point, all the coding for this game, more or less, is fifa 12 code. a few teams, a few stadiums, a new mode, and £15 for pleasure. not for me thanks.

as they say, a fool and his money are easily parted
kirankara 57

Postby Blue Odeyssey » 24 Apr 2012, 10:29

I made comments lambasting EA's decision to take this route in a previous article and I was told I was whining, well my statements have now come true, what is the point of this? If there are no game play tweaks then why would a fan who plays it every week (like myself) spend money just for a new coat of paint. I sincerely hope this bombs, I want my full release back, EA have saved me £40 but I always look forward to the tournament games and this has been my major gaming disappointment of the year so far. I expect a full game for the World Cup.
Blue Odeyssey 30

Postby dwhlufc » 24 Apr 2012, 11:45

I'll stand by original statement that I truly believe this was a good idea by EA.The problem is the price, who in the right mind would pay £16 (on SEN) for a few teams you'll use once (maybe) and alot you'll never touch and a few extra stadiums?
dwhlufc 76

Postby KesMonkey » 24 Apr 2012, 11:46

Blue Odeyssey wrote:I made comments lambasting EA's decision to take this route in a previous article and I was told I was whining, well my statements have now come true, what is the point of this? If there are no game play tweaks then why would a fan who plays it every week (like myself) spend money just for a new coat of paint. I sincerely hope this bombs, I want my full release back, EA have saved me £40 but I always look forward to the tournament games and this has been my major gaming disappointment of the year so far. I expect a full game for the World Cup.

You'd rather pay another £40 for a full price game? A standalone Euro 2012 game would contain less content than FIFA 12 + Euro 2012 DLC combined.
It seems that you'd rather spend £40 than £15, but for your extra £25 you'd want "game play tweaks". Gameplay tweaks are usually something issued in a patch, not an entirely new game within a series (that annual sports games don't follow the rest of the industry in this practice has been by far the biggest complaint leveled at the entire genre). What I see here, is essentially somebody saying they'd be willing to spend £25 on a patch.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 63

Postby Reegeee » 24 Apr 2012, 12:09

The only reason I ever bought the World Cup or Euro games was because they improved the gameplay, it gave you an idea of where they where going with the next FIFA. The World Cup 2010 game is one of the best FIFA games they ever made in terms of pure gameplay. It just worked like it should do.

Paying £16 for this makes no sense to me at all. I was tempted by the expedition mode but reading this review makes it sound quite boring.

Also, I hadn't played FIFA for ages till the other night and so stuck it on and was amazed by how unresponsive it actually is. I've been playing FIFA regularly since 09 and so I guess I've sort of blinded myself to the fact that it is actually not really that good a game. I got used to the shoddy controls just through practice, but having a few months away and then coming back to it has really opened my eyes to how unresponsive it is and how you still have to wait for lengthy animations to be performed rather than having an instant response and control. Weird, I've always championed it this gen but my eyes have been opened! It's really not that good.
Reegeee 75

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby TheLastDodo » 24 Apr 2012, 12:50

dwhlufc wrote:I'll stand by original statement that I truly believe this was a good idea by EA.The problem is the price, who in the right mind would pay £16 (on SEN) for a few teams you'll use once (maybe) and alot you'll never touch and a few extra stadiums?

Agreed, although I guarantee you LOADS WILL, look at how many mugs buy 55 quid games off PSN as proof :lol:.

I bought a 25 quid PSN card for this, looks like I'll be putting my cash towards Walking Dead instead.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby rossltmoss » 24 Apr 2012, 12:54

The trouble is we all hated paying £40 for a game based on a tournament but now we are paying for a news skins and teams. I hated the fact that they added all these gameplay tweaks to a tournament edition only for me to be bored with just the international teams and returning back to the previous fifa which now didn't play as well.

Guess we all wanted gameplay tweaks plus tournament mode for a much cheaper price. Not going to happen in this world unfortunately !!!
rossltmoss 36

Postby kirankara » 24 Apr 2012, 13:05

rossltmoss wrote:The trouble is we all hated paying £40 for a game based on a tournament but now we are paying for a news skins and teams. I hated the fact that they added all these gameplay tweaks to a tournament edition only for me to be bored with just the international teams and returning back to the previous fifa which now didn't play as well.

Guess we all wanted gameplay tweaks plus tournament mode for a much cheaper price. Not going to happen in this world unfortunately !!!

The gameplay tweaks would just been bonus, if they were good tbh. 16 quid for some re-skinned arenas and players , is just joke though. Overall think this is better than a 40 pound full release title tbh, but no way im paying 16 pounds for this, but then id never pay 40 for the euro titles even with gameplay tweaks
kirankara 57

Postby Blue Odeyssey » 24 Apr 2012, 13:08

KesMonkey wrote:It seems that you'd rather spend £40 than £15, but for your extra £25 you'd want "game play tweaks". Gameplay tweaks are usually something issued in a patch, not an entirely new game within a series (that annual sports games don't follow the rest of the industry in this practice has been by far the biggest complaint leveled at the entire genre). What I see here, is essentially somebody saying they'd be willing to spend £25 on a patch.

I'm not referring to fixes like the infamous quick throw in spasms, I'm referring to changes in game play which make it a whole new ball game, its hard to explain with a sports series, but its the slightest of tweaks that changes the fundamentals of how to play. Each Fifa is completely different, try playing two in the same week and the level of change is clear to see, hell play Fifa 10 and Fifa 10 WC. Fifa has never been about the updated rosters or improved graphics but refinement of gameplay, its a new game each year, and that's why the fans keep coming back in droves.
Blue Odeyssey 30

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 24 Apr 2012, 14:16

Over priced and lacking of any content at all, god EA are good at this.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby KillerKing » 24 Apr 2012, 16:25

they've taken out the one mode i liked: captain your country. all it needed was some online functionality, and i was nailed on to buy this pack. disappointed.
KillerKing 40

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 24 Apr 2012, 17:32

I really wanted to buy this as I loved WC 2010 but after playing the trial I just can't justify the purchase. I actually don't mind the fact that no gameplay changes have been made, Fifa 12 is a great game and the new lick of paint gives the atmosphere I was looking for. But £16? too much.

It should have been one of the following

£16-20 with improved gameplay, visual tweaks, new soundtrack and commentry as Fifa 12 DLC
£40 for the above game on a disc
or £10-12 for what's on offer now

If I was EA i'd be very careful, they've built a good reputation again with Fifa this gen and this is the first sign of them being...well, EA again.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby The Bossman » 24 Apr 2012, 18:02

Pleasingly I cancelled my order of this because it hadn't dispatched. I was looking forward to it but no gameplay changes annoyed me, I expected at least a few tweaks but because there's nothing but added teams etc and plays the same as FIFA 12 I'm not buying it. The idea was very good, but because they're too f**king lazy to add gameplay improvements they've lost my sale, and many others I'm presuming. Next time put more effort in and maybe I'll buy your game.
The Bossman 47

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 24 Apr 2012, 19:00

The Bossman wrote:Pleasingly I cancelled my order of this because it hadn't dispatched. I was looking forward to it but no gameplay changes annoyed me, I expected at least a few tweaks but because there's nothing but added teams etc and plays the same as FIFA 12 I'm not buying it. The idea was very good, but because they're too f**king lazy to add gameplay improvements they've lost my sale, and many others I'm presuming. Next time put more effort in and maybe I'll buy your game.

It hadn't dispatched because it's DLC mate.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Next