Sonic 4: Episode 2 accidentally released on Steam

Your comments on our articles.

Unfinished version yanked off service - but not before fans could grab screenshots

An unfinished version of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 was accidentally made available for download on Steam this weekend.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sonic 4: Episode 2 accidentally released on Steam

Postby TheDragonDoji » 23 Apr 2012, 11:07

The guy's comment is so true; the jumping in Ep1 was atrocious for a Sonic game....so much so I gave up after level 4. May get this but only on sale.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Re: Sonic 4: Episode 2 accidentally released on Steam

Postby discokingz » 23 Apr 2012, 11:31

This game looks fantastic! Everything from the graphics to the level design to the physics. Day one on PSN & iOS iPad3.
Watched the complete. Walk through of every level, special stage & episode Metal on YouTube yesterday. Three weeks to go! :D
discokingz 33

Postby MrPirtniw » 23 Apr 2012, 12:16

Although he says the jumping is better the comment "you can still tell its Sonic 4" brings a pang of worry. I'll definately give the demo a whirl but I'm not expecting much- not after the slap in the face with a wet fish that was episode 1. And I'm certainly not going to buy it for 1200 points. That's just borderline retarded.

A 2d Sonic game in the style of the megadrive games should be utterly sublime.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby Robjduk » 23 Apr 2012, 12:21

£12.99 for half a game? Swines
Robjduk 25

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 23 Apr 2012, 13:11

I'll wit for the inevitable boxed version with episode 1 &2 together at least then i could probably buy it at a reasonable price. Already have episode 1 on the wii. thanks sega you bunch of.....
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Zabba 2 » 23 Apr 2012, 14:34

Even though this looks like a massive improvement over the original, I still might wait a bit before I get it.

I think I bought Episode I at full price and instantly regretted it. It's not a horrendous game, but it took me two years to find the patience to finish it and wasn't worth that price. Episode Metal is a nice bonus though! With 4 levels (I think?) it sounds more like a standalone game rather than an add-on, considering Episode I only had like 5 levels.
Zabba 2 65

Postby discokingz » 23 Apr 2012, 15:59

I agree episode one wasn't great but this one looks way better and the levels are far bigger.

So, for a tenner you get...

Episode metal levels:1,2,3 & boss
Sylvania castle levels: 1,2,3 & boss
White park levels 1,2,3 & boss
Oil desert zones 1,2,3 & boss
Sky fortress zones 1,2,3 & boss
Death egg zone 1 & boss

16 massive levels & six bosses that's 22 stages, I don't think ten pounds is unreasonable for that at all, some DLC costs way more and provides way less.
And what can you get for ten quid these days? Two pints of lager with a few pence change. Half a pizza? C'mon, get real.
discokingz 33

Postby MrPirtniw » 23 Apr 2012, 21:17

When you say massive levels, how long are they supposed to be? I completed episode 1 in about an hour (not with all the emeralds though- I got bored of having to replay the entire stage to get to the special zones. Think I managed to get 4 or 5 of them though).
Then again the length of the levels won't mean squat if they're dull or the physics still suck. Hopefully the demo will offer some insight into that. But it's definately a case of 'wait until its half price' before I buy- I have a whole list of things that ruined episode 1.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby FoxMcCloud » 23 Apr 2012, 22:21

Whoops! Somebody in SEGA and/or Steam is so...soo...soooo FIRED! I mean Back to the Future 2, every room in the house printing out something to tell that guy he's fired, levels of firedness :lol: I played the demo for Sonic 4 and hated it, it angered me beyond believe, the feeling of controlling Sonic was just wrong! :x Why the bloody hell can't Sega just make a new old Sonic, if that makes any sense :D What I mean is; just make a new Sonic game using the old sprites(Sonic 2 era FTW) and physics, just all new awesome levels and more crazy contraptions for Dr.Robotnik(None of that Eggman nonsense thank you very much) to get his ass handed to him in. That would be Sonic 4. This...well this mess is just an insult to the memory of Sonic 1 - & Knuckles :(
FoxMcCloud 53

Postby Lady Gagagged » 23 Apr 2012, 22:29

I can't remember the last time a Sonic game didn't feel accidentally released.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot