to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Starhawk: We've had land and air - now it's time for outer s

Your comments on our articles.

Warhawk's multiplayer action goes up a level

Now it goes against every instinct in our kill-happy thumbs, but the key to a long life in Starhawk's roiling sea of plasma, space and death is building stuff. From simple defensive walls to supply bunkers stuffed with rocket launchers, cobbling together impenetrable bases to blunt enemy attacks is every bit as satisfying as zapping them with lasers.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby iloveoldtech » 15 Apr 2012, 13:18

"We'd like to call Starhawk Battlefield in space; it's every bit as strategic, but at present the core shooting lacks punch and the game is visually flaky. Lightbox have two months to add polish and iron out any issues however."

I played the beta way back a few months ago, and I am a regular player of BF3, and played the hell out of BFBC2, so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about here...

The game is "visually flaky"? What? Either they downgraded the graphics since I played it or you people are blind, the game ran like I dream (I'd say 35-45 fps on average) and felt a lot smoother than BF3, which struggles to reach even 30fps. The games graphics are amazing also, the lighting from the sun and radioactive goo being funnelled through pipes, for instance, is amazing and very atmospheric. The game felt extremely polished 5 months ago and I'd be surprised if they have downgraded the game since then.

And "The core shooting lack punch"? It is bloody AMAZING! It requires alot more skill than BF3, in that it's very similar to BFBC2. That is to say that the longer you hold the trigger, the less accurate and more spread out your shots become - it encourages burst firing and strategic thinking at long range just like BC2, whereas BF3's shooting mechanics consist of a slight need to burstfire, but for the most part the random deviation does all the work for you.

Overall? I myself would definitely call this game "Battlefield in space" it was addictive as hell when I played it, and the "build and battle" mechanic is absolutely brilliant for teamwork and for just messing about with. I had many a epic battle of territory where my team would build bases and forts way up to the middle of the battlefield, only to be met with enemies trying to fortify their way up too. The battles that followed were epic, needless to say. And the epic escapes out of enemy bases when having stolen their flag was brilliant fun. Rolling away from the base with all your mates in a humvee hysterical at the fact that you are being chased by an entire army. It was absolutely amazing fun.

I would encourage everyone to keep an eye on this game, the beta surprised alot of people, including myself, who thought the game would be a mere cash in on it's epic predecessor; Warhawk. It's definitely, without a doubt, a contender for Multiplayer of the year if it's as great as the beta was, and the beta alone had me questioning my love for Battlefield! :lol:
iloveoldtech 12

Postby iloveoldtech » 15 Apr 2012, 13:20

"We'd like to call Starhawk Battlefield in space; it's every bit as strategic, but at present the core shooting lacks punch and the game is visually flaky. Lightbox have two months to add polish and iron out any issues however."

I played the beta way back a few months ago, and I am a regular player of BF3, and played the hell out of BFBC2, so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about here...

The game is "visually flaky"? What? Either they downgraded the graphics since I played it or you people are blind, the game ran like I dream (I'd say 35-45 fps on average) and felt a lot smoother than BF3, which struggles to reach even 30fps. The games graphics are amazing also, the lighting from the sun and radioactive goo being funnelled through pipes, for instance, is amazing and very atmospheric. The game felt extremely polished 5 months ago and I'd be surprised if they have downgraded the game since then.

And "The core shooting lack punch"? It is bloody AMAZING! It requires alot more skill than BF3, in that it's very similar to BFBC2. That is to say that the longer you hold the trigger, the less accurate and more spread out your shots become - it encourages burst firing and strategic thinking at long range just like BC2, whereas BF3's shooting mechanics consist of a slight need to burstfire, but for the most part the random deviation does all the work for you.

Overall? I myself would definitely call this game "Battlefield in space" it was addictive as hell when I played it, and the "build and battle" mechanic is absolutely brilliant for teamwork and for just messing about with. I had many a epic battle of territory where my team would build bases and forts way up to the middle of the battlefield, only to be met with enemies trying to fortify their way up too. The battles that followed were epic, needless to say. And the epic escapes out of enemy bases when having stolen their flag was brilliant fun. Rolling away from the base with all your mates in a humvee hysterical at the fact that you are being chased by an entire army. It was absolutely amazing fun.

I would encourage everyone to keep an eye on this game, the beta surprised alot of people, including myself, who thought the game would be a mere cash in on it's epic predecessor; Warhawk. It's definitely, without a doubt, a contender for Multiplayer of the year if it's as great as the beta was, and the beta alone had me questioning my love for Battlefield!
iloveoldtech 12

Re: Starhawk: We've had land and air - now it's time for out

Postby JBoo » 15 Apr 2012, 15:41

"the game is visually flaky"? WTF?! The last beta update i played it looked AMAZING! ! !:P
You must be playing it on a 10" SD TV then LoL:D
JBoo 31

Postby kirankara » 15 Apr 2012, 15:56

JBoo wrote:"the game is visually flaky"? WTF?! The last beta update i played it looked AMAZING! ! !:P

Clearly it isn't sub HD enough like cod or doesn't have enough screen tear and frame rate issues like bf3 to be considered graphically acceptable for cvg's liking.
Article is full of crap
kirankara 57

Postby TheLastDodo » 15 Apr 2012, 23:09

kirankara wrote:
JBoo wrote:"the game is visually flaky"? WTF?! The last beta update i played it looked AMAZING! ! !:P

Clearly it isn't sub HD enough like cod or doesn't have enough screen tear and frame rate issues like bf3 to be considered graphically acceptable for cvg's liking.
Article is full of crap

Too right kiran.

Played the beta months ago, zero screen tear, zero noticeable framerate drop, ran like a dream for me.

Either this article is full of crap or somethings gone majorly wrong in the last three months.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 16 Apr 2012, 01:31

As others have said, have they downgraded the graphics loads? I played it 6 months ago at Playstation Access and it looked bloody amazing! Still not sure about this game though, I want others I know to buy it as I feel it won't be as fun on your own online.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Padua » 19 Apr 2012, 16:33

I found it utterly addictive - even when it crashed my PS3 countless times during beta.
It puts a lot of released games to shame. It is definitely a must-by for me.

C'mon it is 2012.
I think reviewers should engage more with commenters and explain themselves :-D
It is not like the old days where CVG was printed on paper and stuffed in school bags!

Also - I thought Starhawk was coming out in May - is it really two months until release? :-O
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306