to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Nintendo..

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: Tech innovation gets people excited, but it's the software that really sells Nintendo consoles, argues John Dean

Murmurs of the next Xbox and PlayStation 4 have only surfaced in the past few months, but Nintendo's next contender has been bubbling away for quite a while.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Nintendo..

Postby Sentinator » 03 Apr 2012, 15:02

The article which claimed it wasn't as powerful then had a spin by their second source claiming it is better because its based around a modern design. The amount of contradictions being thrown around by developers about Wii U is off the wall. It sounds like when they redesigned it they downgraded it but because of some cheating method it isn't going to show. If people had read that part of the article they wouldn't have jumped to conclusions like they did.

Either way this is doing my head in. The best selling console (and even the one most people play each gen) hasn't been determined by specs, but by developer support. In this gen 360. The year head start can benefit Nintendo. All they need is a good price and first party lineup.

One thing this has done is stopped me worrying about pricing a bit. If they've downgraded it, it won't be as expensive. I shall also add that there is still the possibility of late April fools being posted here.
Last edited by Sentinator on 03 Apr 2012, 15:07, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Nintendo..

Postby a.d » 03 Apr 2012, 15:02

You say the Wii annihalated the competition. From a gamers standpoint console sales don't nesecerrily mean it's been a success. Despite huge console sales we can't say the same for Wii software sales.
Every man and his dog owned a Wii as did mum's little sisters even nan's and grandads, simply because it was what the Jones' had and it was a cool gift to give, Software sales proved that most Wii's sat gathering dust.
Proud Gooner!
User avatar
a.d 36
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 21:52
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: alvstar84
PSN ID: alvstar1984

Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Nintendo..

Postby BOBA21FETT » 03 Apr 2012, 15:09

i think the wii u will win the next gen console war
BOBA21FETT 22
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 13:28
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: BOBA21FETT
PSN ID: BOBA21FETT

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby ensabahnur » 03 Apr 2012, 15:10

Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3?



Those rabid fanboy's from both sides who think that graphics are linked to gameplay hence a good looking game must be good because thats what gameplay's all about?



Did i win a prize?
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
User avatar
ensabahnur 68
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: 04 Sep 2006, 13:33
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Nintendo..

Postby Laughlyn » 03 Apr 2012, 15:13

Finally a sensible comment on the issue.
Nintendo have always made a machine that plays games, pure and simple, most machines are as the old saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none" whereas with Nintendo machines your guranteed great games, even if its just first party titles they're usually worth buying the console for just for that. I know many folk who work or own games stores and price of core mario games just dont budge, parents go in and if they buy a DS, 3DS or a Wii then majority of them take one or two mario game with them because they know they're not going to be disappointed.

I've had nintendo consoles sine '89 and even tho i may spend more time on Forza on my 360 or BF on the PS3 these days, i still fired up my trusty old Wii for Skyward Sword, even Pokemon White still takes plenty of time and when i got Mario Kart 7 the 3DS was glue to my hand, where my mates had SKyrim, i was playing Minish Cap on my GBA that i'd just got off flea market and i had more fun.

Gamings different now, Graphics are reaching a peak and its not just all whizz bang visuals that it was in PS2 leading to PS3 era, peopel want fun as much as pretty graphics
User avatar
Laughlyn 55
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: 20 Jan 2008, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby Ali_ » 03 Apr 2012, 15:21

Insert generic Nintendo fans comment: "Gameplay is more important than graphics."
Insert generic PS3/360 fans comment: "LOL"
User avatar
Ali_ 57
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: 09 Jan 2011, 15:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby a.d » 03 Apr 2012, 15:25

I grew up with Nintendo right from the NES and have bought every Nintendo console right up to the Wii and 3DS, but as much as I enjoyed the Galaxy games and Skyward Sword' Nintendo can't keep alienating third party developers. They always make it difficult for developers to make multiformat games. Don't get me wrong I loved the N64 and GC but N64 carts were obviously not developers preferred choice. Gamecube's tiny discs, Why not just have made normal size discs with more space and developer friendly.
Wii? you couldn't port PS3's/360's best game's over for several reasons. Wii U will be in a similar situation.
Proud Gooner!
User avatar
a.d 36
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 10 Sep 2008, 21:52
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: alvstar84
PSN ID: alvstar1984

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby TheLastDodo » 03 Apr 2012, 15:26

Image
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby Sentinator » 03 Apr 2012, 15:28

Ali_ wrote:Insert generic Nintendo fans comment: "Gameplay is more important than graphics."
Insert generic PS3/360 fans comment: "LOL"

Thats the belief because of this gen. It wasn't until Sony came along and said "look graphics" that PS3 fans started saying "LOL".

But people really seem to be overlooking the biggest part of all these rumours today. Not the power. Not the release date. GTA V could be on Wii U after all :D
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby Nanaki » 03 Apr 2012, 15:30

The Wii U's biggest potential flaw so far is this limit of tablet controllers. Yeah you can talk it up as a fun, family, social, machine/toy, but what's the point in that when it's limited to two people? Allowing Wii remotes is not an acceptable solution, because other people will be forced to play a different way, which is a stupid idea.
Nanaki 36
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Jan 2012, 03:25
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby higgins78 » 03 Apr 2012, 15:33

Couldn't agree more! I haven't bought every major Nintendo console - all at launch - for tech reasons...no, rather I continue to put my faith in that when Nintendo get things right, and they do more often than not, then I will be privileged into playing some of the finest, if not THEE finest, videogames available. I have been myself gaming since the ZX Spectrum, my first computer. In that long period which reaches to date it must be 7 out of 10 of my favorite videogames of all time have come from either Nintendo or exclusive to a Nintendo console. Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario World, Mario 64, A Link to the Past, Ocarina, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4...thats 10 I have just taken off the top of my head which EASILY have all been flawless, creative, fun and engaging games, the likes of which 99.9% of "rival" developers must wish they could attain. I'm certainly not saying other consoles which I have owned haven't offered great experiences...Dreamcast and Playstation 2 both had a brilliant selection of games. Neither Sony or even Sega however have been as consistently innovative, polished and epic as Nintendo when on their A-game, which is lets be honest almost always.
higgins78 40
 
Posts: 563
Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 12:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby higgins78 » 03 Apr 2012, 15:39

Sentinator wrote:
Ali_ wrote:Insert generic Nintendo fans comment: "Gameplay is more important than graphics."
Insert generic PS3/360 fans comment: "LOL"

Thats the belief because of this gen. It wasn't until Sony came along and said "look graphics" that PS3 fans started saying "LOL".

But people really seem to be overlooking the biggest part of all these rumours today. Not the power. Not the release date. GTA V could be on Wii U after all :D


Sorry, what? I briefly enjoyed to a point GTAIII, really enjoyed Vice City, loved San Andreas, then came GTAIV...

Once you got past the - now dated - physics and beautiful vistas it showed itself up to be dated franchise, taking itself too seriously and having now become trite and repetitive. I for one will not be buying a WiiU for the possibility of owning GTAIV, rather I will do because as always its the only place I can play the latest in the Mario, Zelda and Metroid franchise...that and the constant and surprising new IP's which always pop up.
higgins78 40
 
Posts: 563
Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 12:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby kirankara » 03 Apr 2012, 15:44

The power of console concerns me, but only because I'm thinking long term how developers will treat it. When the next gen Sony Ms products are out, will they get frustrated setting it's jack of power and just churn out a few party games or whatever is in vogue and cheap at time, as they can't run newer software on it, whilst the onlyother games it will get will be first party and dumbed down FIFA and cod yearly updates.

That's my worry once the core gaming crowd starts migrating to the next gen.
kirankara 57
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 10:31
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby higgins78 » 03 Apr 2012, 15:48

Laughlyn wrote:Finally a sensible comment on the issue.
Nintendo have always made a machine that plays games, pure and simple, most machines are as the old saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none" whereas with Nintendo machines your guranteed great games, even if its just first party titles they're usually worth buying the console for just for that. I know many folk who work or own games stores and price of core mario games just dont budge, parents go in and if they buy a DS, 3DS or a Wii then majority of them take one or two mario game with them because they know they're not going to be disappointed.

I've had nintendo consoles sine '89 and even tho i may spend more time on Forza on my 360 or BF on the PS3 these days, i still fired up my trusty old Wii for Skyward Sword, even Pokemon White still takes plenty of time and when i got Mario Kart 7 the 3DS was glue to my hand, where my mates had SKyrim, i was playing Minish Cap on my GBA that i'd just got off flea market and i had more fun.

Gamings different now, Graphics are reaching a peak and its not just all whizz bang visuals that it was in PS2 leading to PS3 era, peopel want fun as much as pretty graphics


Thank you, thank you, thank you. Somebody like me who has been gaming longer than just - at the maximum - 2 generations and can see what exactly is the reason people - again, like me - keep choosing Nintendo. I think he says it best when he says "jack of all trades, master of none". This above anything else applies perfectly to Sony and Microsoft this gen. I own a PS3 and have played some good/very good games not available on the Wii...Arkham City, Portal 2 and Super Street Fighter (for example). None of these however are fit to tie the boots of Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles. Its true than the Wii has offered - for me - less AAA games than the Gamecube, N64 and particularly the SNES, however...the handful of AAA games the Wii has offered me fit immediately into some of my favorite videogames of all time!
higgins78 40
 
Posts: 563
Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 12:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Who cares if Wii U is less powerful than PS3? Not Ninten

Postby Sentinator » 03 Apr 2012, 15:50

higgins78 wrote:Sorry, what? I briefly enjoyed to a point GTAIII, really enjoyed Vice City, loved San Andreas, then came GTAIV...

Once you got past the - now dated - physics and beautiful vistas it showed itself up to be dated franchise, taking itself too seriously and having now become trite and repetitive. I for one will not be buying a WiiU for the possibility of owning GTAIV, rather I will do because as always its the only place I can play the latest in the Mario, Zelda and Metroid franchise...that and the constant and surprising new IP's which always pop up.

Thats why we all buy Nintendo consoles buddy. But having GTA on it means you don't have to go out of your way to buy a Playstation or Xbox since its on the system you own. Its a big game so having it would convince the N fans that might jump ship to stick around. I'm quite confused about where the specs are now. I really want Nintendo to end all this and talk. But no matter where the specs are I can tell you matter of factly it can run GTA V. But its up to Rockstar if it gets on there.

Its actually when I read that GTA V rumour that I started smelling bs. I think the developers those guys have been talking to are on something. Microsoft can apparently release 360 for as little as £100 next year and make profits so why would it be weaker than 360? TBH I think both these sites made up the three rumours for hits as April fools jokes. Being weaker than PS3 is possible but weaker than 360 seems like a tad of an exaggeration tbh. Either way CVG is right. I don't care. And I'm not getting my hopes up on the release date and GTA V either. It would seem to me people are just toying with the fact that Take 2 didn't announce platforms.
User avatar
Sentinator 38
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 07:44

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drh1976, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]