Microsoft bumps Halo 3 to 2007?

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft exec demotes Master Chief from most important game of the year. Plus - more games coming from the Halo universe?

Halo 3 will not be coming to Xbox 360 before the end of 2006, if comments coming from Microsoft Game Studios' General Manager Shane Kim are to be taken literally.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Microsoft bumps Halo 3 to 2007?

Postby Thalanos » 16 Mar 2006, 12:05

I never believed H3 would be out this year. Thinking about Bungie's weekly developer diaries, they were well into Halo 2's development by the time they announced the the November release at E3. The current state of their next project (read Halo 3) is not at that stage yet.

My best guess is a major announcement at E3 about what H3 is, that it will be released to coincide with the Halo movie next Summer and probably an announcement of who is going to direct the movie too.

As for other games in the franchise, they already said that Halo-based games are in development for mobile phones. They may just be refering to those.
Thalanos 45

Postby AlexRat » 16 Mar 2006, 13:38

Ofcourse... no one's confirmed it won't be out this year, but like Thalanos, I've had my doubts.

Personally I'm not worried though. It'd be a it annoying, but aslong as we eventually get something I'll be happy.

I can't see Bungie turning Halo into an RTS though. After all, they were making one in the first place, but decided the mini-game controlling one character was far more fun. Hence we ended up with a complete re-build, turning it into a TPS, and then an FPS.
AlexRat 51

Xbox Live: AlexRat
Steam: AlexRat

Postby theideal » 16 Mar 2006, 13:39

Halo Kart?
Super Halo Tennis?...
theideal 73

Postby rog27 » 16 Mar 2006, 15:47

Halo 3 one of most anticipated games of all time? Most over-rated game of all time would be a more appropriate monicker. While a decent first person shooter...it's not the start-all, end-all it's cracked up to be. And I say this as a person who own the first two titles.

I just don't get it why so many people like this blah game.
rog27 1

Postby AlexRat » 16 Mar 2006, 16:07

Anyone can argue they're opinion that they don't think something is as good as someone else feels.

You can find vast quantities of people who don't like either Half-Life, it doesn't make them any less the revolution in gaming that others believe they've been.
AlexRat 51

Postby squiddy » 16 Mar 2006, 17:32

Well Halo2 has had the LONGEST playability out of any game i ever played..
I just got G.R.A.W (finally..) and tbh i wish i hadnt bought it now.. but at the same time others will say they love it, i loved it when i first played it but now its just repetitive and boring, with the lack of maps and missions and constant booting of players online and no clan support..
squiddy 24

Postby User removed » 16 Mar 2006, 17:37

Thats a misleading headline, Halo 3 was never meant to be launched in 2006. The sequel(prequel/following game) was said come AFTER the movie. We'll probably hear something about what they're working on at E3 I bet.
User removed

Postby draunt » 17 Mar 2006, 00:29

Halo 2 is pretty much one of the most played online games, and it came out 2 years ago. Not to mention the fact that it is the game that has sold the most copies ever (out of any console as well). More than 6.8 million copies sold.

"Halo 2 is the fastest selling product in history of the American entertainment industry."
http://forevergeek.com/games/halo_2_52_ ... r_hour.php

As you can see, if Halo 3 is going to be anything like Halo 2 (most probably better) it will rock. End of story.
draunt 1

Postby 95821 » 19 Mar 2006, 21:14

Well, I look forward to whatever they decide to make. A Halo RTS is most appealing seeing as for one, I love RTS games. 2, the Halo universe is the perfect setting for an RTS. And 3, Halo was ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED to be an RTS... Just seems like sooner of later the original goal should be fulfilled. I hope it comes out in 2007, that way it wont be rushed. I'm guessing it'll probably be coincided with the release of the Halo movie.
95821 1

Postby User removed » 19 Mar 2006, 22:29

Its wierd though. Myth and Marathon, both series were finished up and now theyre on to halo. But what stikes me is that nobody seems to think that same thing will happen to Halo.
The way i figure it is that bungie have a big choice here, to milk the series since it has become so well renowned with each possible sequel being highly anticipated or leave it and move on.
Sometimes i'd kinda hope for the latter, so the game doesnt go s**tty. although some people wern't to happy with halo 2, it still had many good points.
I'm really indifferent on this, since there are so many spin offs already of halo with forthcoming movie and a graphic novel to add to the list. Maybe a few spin off games wouldn't hurt.
User removed

Postby AlexRat » 19 Mar 2006, 23:22

I doubt Microsoft would allow Bungie NOT to make a sequel. Especially with II leaving us on a cliffhanger.

And no that's not an invitation for people to take stabs at the end of Halo 2. There's nothing wrong with a good cliffhanger.
AlexRat 51

Postby andey3 » 20 Mar 2006, 22:27

I am geting this game I have not got the Halo games becuse I have not got a Xbox but on Saturday I got a Xbox360
andey3 18

Postby Speedwolf » 23 Mar 2006, 16:20

My spidey senses are tingling. Something deep in the dark recesses of my mind tell me that we're going to see a Halo universe RTS. I mean Bungie brought us the sublime Myth series, who else could bring the RTS genre up to date and still do the mythos justice?

I'm not a big fan of RTS games (no patience you see) but I would buy it.
Speedwolf 23

first and foremost

Postby taylor_ » 24 Mar 2006, 00:16

first and foremost, halo 3 will maybe most likly be good ...yay :? ... all for that....however there are still things that are left untied when going through the games..... such as forerunner i'd love to see a forerunner in the 3rd game or even a squel specifically dealing with them after the covies or something...

a great Pre_Quil game would be one about chief as a child and then follow
his missions to reight before halo.... being able to kick humans asses...etc.
have it be a splinter cell type thing when there are parts where he's in the dark....

also it'd be cool to see a game with the spartan 1.5's with jane etc. have her go on missions etc... that'd be cool.

but hte best things definetly would be to see what other skelitons the forunner had in there closet maye planetary installations, yeah , it'd be sweet having the chief go around the galaxy in the foruner ship
finding other forunner outposts..with cortana's daughter( because by then she couldve one rampant) or maybe not kill off cortanta and make her unable to go rampant because when she was linked with the forrunner mainframe on halo she was able to save herself or something...

any way thats my tangent....
taylor_ 9

Postby AlexRat » 24 Mar 2006, 18:40

The Forerunners most likely looked/look relatively human.

There are buttons in Halo 2 that are the shape of human hands, just with 6 fingers.
AlexRat 51