to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Capcom: 'There's no difference between DLC and locked disc c

Your comments on our articles.

On-disc DLC enables "more flexible and efficient gameplay"

Responding to consumer complaints about its business practices that were lodged with the Better Business Bureau, Capcom has said it doesn't believe there's a distinction between content locked on a disc and DLC.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Drusus » 02 Apr 2012, 10:56

Douchebags
Drusus 57

Postby shogunreaper » 02 Apr 2012, 10:58

Oh well thanks for clearing that up, god forbid anyone think that downloadable content would actually mean downloading the content.
shogunreaper 47

Re: Capcom: 'There's no difference between DLC and locked di

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 02 Apr 2012, 11:05

I hope Capcom see a sharp decline in sales this year to teach them they can't just keep treating their customers like walking dumb wallets.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby G00N3R » 02 Apr 2012, 11:15

The difference is that if its finished in time to go on the disc, it should be included in the original purchase price. Not held back to get more money from customers at a later date.

I mean I feel like its so obvious that I don't even need to post that here ... how can that idiot not realise why its wrong?
G00N3R 48

Postby TheLastDodo » 02 Apr 2012, 11:17

Shameful Capcom, shameful.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Dralel » 02 Apr 2012, 11:18

Hopefully Capcom gets hacked by Anonymous with "dlc means downloadable content" as an after-message.
Dralel 36

Steam: Dralel

Postby c3dpo » 02 Apr 2012, 11:21

More BS from greedy peeps.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but surely the devs / publishers only pay the hardware companies certification fees for the disc once, where as if it was DLC they have another full certification pass.

The 800kb unlock file, if subject to certification is less likely to fail and therefore cost less.

The big rage from me as a consumer, is this is a money saving excercise yet we see no benefit from it!
c3dpo 35

Postby kirankara » 02 Apr 2012, 11:22

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:I hope Capcom see a sharp decline in sales this year to teach them they can't just keep treating their customers like walking dumb wallets.

Judging by comments like found in these forums they are walking dumb wallets.

I understand people feel like they should have right to the content as it's on the disk, for some irrational and illogical reason, but they dont. Developers can charge for whatever they want, the simple fact that you dont have to download it, doesnt give people a right to the content. Whether it wasafter the original game, before original game etc etc , it doesnt matter.

Dont want the content, don't feel it's sufficient to pay the amount they're asking, fine, I have no arguments with that. Just the dumb ass approach that people are somehow entitled to content.

Articles like these show that Japanese devs cant compete with western companies anymore financially or technically, and dlc is a way of making money for devs that would otherwise have to be placed on original cost of game. We're talking minimum of almost £40 million to make a AAA game these days, money has to be made somehwere , and games like Streetfighter are small fry compared to COD etc, as they still are comparatively niche market. You may have your wish sooner than you want in regards to capcom etc , as these companies are fighting for their lives in some respects. Western devs are destroying them , so soon people might not have Streetfighter full stop, let alone dlc to moan about.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/japanese-ga ... ne-6276630
kirankara 57

Postby fatherofthenoo » 02 Apr 2012, 11:24

I don't really need to say anything. All the above comments sum up the thoughts of 99% of gamers.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 02 Apr 2012, 11:28

Keep digging that hole Capcom.

It doesn't provide more fleibility as you still need an internet connection to access the so content. There's no reason that it had to be on the disc. Every other maker of fighting games out there has managed cross compatibility between stuff on the disc and extra content via patches and clever and tweaks to the code.

All this is, is a cash grab and you've been found out. Either reduce the cost of SFXT or give us content we already technically as in physcially own for free.

I don't blame the hackers for doing what they did. All you've amanged to do capcom is p**s people off and promote piracy. BRAVO!
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby TheDragonDoji » 02 Apr 2012, 11:34

Um no Capcom there IS a glaring distinction between content already developed & included with the title you purchase but locked for future PURCHASE on top of the game price, than DLC released after the game 'goes gold' in order to maintain the community/lifespan of the title. Yes some DLC is utterly worthless, but then some is excellent and down to personal taste.

If you wanted to convince me your business practices weren't corporate greed personified you WOULD NOT release 3 to 4 versions of the SAME f**king GAME in the SAME f**king YEAR, all sporting more content than the last one. If you WEREN'T vampiric rip-off merchants you wouldn't produce 3x the amount of purchasable DLC as ANY OTHER COMPANY. Seriously the amount of packs available for Street Fighter is sick...and I love Street Fighter.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Postby ChrisIW » 02 Apr 2012, 11:36

The stupid thing is I'd snap this game up for £30 - £35 easily if I knew for a fact that this was the only version I'd ever need with everything included from the start. Because I have to factor in extra DLC cost and the fact that the game will have poor resale value (due to the inevitable Super Duper Ultimate Edition making this one obsolete) I'd be stupid to pay more than £20 for it.

In conclusion nobody really wins with this pricing model, all that happens is that people get seriously p'd off with Capcom for using such tactics, and fans like me who are in dreamland at a SF / Tekken crossover end up not even buying the damn thing on day one. Capcom don't get my money and I don't get a shiny new game to play. It's madness!
ChrisIW 42

Postby general-gaming » 02 Apr 2012, 11:36

kirankara wrote:
Mmmmgrolsch wrote:I hope Capcom see a sharp decline in sales this year to teach them they can't just keep treating their customers like walking dumb wallets.

Judging by comments like found in these forums they are walking dumb wallets.

I understand people feel like they should have right to the content as it's on the disk, for some irrational and illogical reason, but they dont. Developers can charge for whatever they want, the simple fact that you dont have to download it, doesnt give people a right to the content. Whether it wasafter the original game, before original game etc etc , it doesnt matter.

Dont want the content, don't feel it's sufficient to pay the amount they're asking, fine, I have no arguments with that. Just the dumb ass approach that people are somehow entitled to content.

Articles like these show that Japanese devs cant compete with western companies anymore financially or technically, and dlc is a way of making money for devs that would otherwise have to be placed on original cost of game. We're talking minimum of almost £40 million to make a AAA game these days, money has to be made somehwere , and games like Streetfighter are small fry compared to COD etc, as they still are comparatively niche market. You may have your wish sooner than you want in regards to capcom etc , as these companies are fighting for their lives in some respects. Western devs are destroying them , so soon people might not have Streetfighter full stop, let alone dlc to moan about.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/japanese-ga ... ne-6276630

what publisher do you work for?
general-gaming 22

Postby Mobius01 » 02 Apr 2012, 11:37

general-gaming wrote:what publisher do you work for?

lol, THIS!
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby Currychips » 02 Apr 2012, 11:49

I didn't buy the game purely because of this locked content situation.
If the characters are ready and on the disc they should be available.

I'm from an era where you were rewarded with extra characters for completing a game - a bonus incentive to see all the game has to offer.

I have spoken in the only manner these companies listen. I won't buy the game or any of the DLC.

2 of my friends have followed suit. It's the only way these practices will change.
Do you want Chilli on that?
Currychips 48

Xbox Live: Mr Cheesefinger
PSN ID: westypie

Next