Sony shuts SOCOM developer Zipper Interactive

Your comments on our articles.

"The closure is a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment"

Sony has closed Seattle-based first party studio Zipper Interactive, the developer of tactical third person shooter series SOCOM, as well as MAG for PS3 and most recently Unit 13 for Vita.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony shuts SOCOM developer Zipper Interactive

Postby porkchopz » 31 Mar 2012, 15:10

Noooooooooo! I hope this doesn't spell doom for MAG 2...
Do not underestimate the power of Playstation...
porkchopz 35

Re: Sony shuts SOCOM developer Zipper Interactive

Postby Padua » 31 Mar 2012, 15:32

porkchopz wrote:Noooooooooo! I hope this doesn't spell doom for MAG 2...

+1. Disappointed and hoping there is another Massive Action Game on the horizon - MAG2 or otherwise :cry:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby JBoo » 31 Mar 2012, 15:44

That is a shame :( I want SONY to add 'MORE' first party studio to their list not lose more. Hopefully no more studios will go. I don't want SONY having 1 or 2 like you know who has & having to rely on mainly Multi-format games for their gaming fix every year LoL:D
JBoo 31

Postby TheLastDodo » 31 Mar 2012, 16:42

Not surprised, they've not offered anything great to PS3. MAG could've been that great thing but, for me, nice idea with poor execution.

Not that I want to see people out of jobs but if Sony are going to continue "trimming the fat" out of their first party studio then next on my list would be Guerrilla Games and Team Japan, then I'd sign up Quantic Dream, thatgamecompany and Insomniac.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby chrisw92 » 31 Mar 2012, 16:52

Padua wrote:
porkchopz wrote:Noooooooooo! I hope this doesn't spell doom for MAG 2...

+1. Disappointed and hoping there is another Massive Action Game on the horizon - MAG2 or otherwise :cry:

I agree with both of you.

Games are turning the same way as music, all you get is the same rubbish now... which doesn't bode well for the future.
chrisw92 38

Postby GeneralTechnique » 31 Mar 2012, 17:46

WOW!!............. It's not like this wasn't expected, but it still drops one's jaw to the floor hearing about it.

If I find out that Seth Luisi still has a job at Sony, I'll lose what little respect I still have for them. They (Sony & Seth) took SOCOM into a direction that the fans FLAT-OUT begged/warned them not to, then had the nerve to expect SOCOM 4 to be a blockbuster hit.

If only they (Sony) had given MAG the attention it deserved, and given MAG's playerbase the respect and handling they (we) deserved. It could have become a legendary franchise.
GeneralTechnique 15

Xbox Live: General Techniq
PSN ID: GeneralTechnique
Steam: GeneralTechnique

Postby Paul_27 » 31 Mar 2012, 18:52

zipper made a fantastic MAG game but had its problems and then the same studio tried to do a call of duty style game for the socom franchise and failed badly and unit 13 didnt sell many copys so the colsure is a must

just hope sony re hire slant six games or get a new developer onboard for a new socom game and include the vets as who gives a crap about cod style
Paul_27 29

PSN ID: x_vodka_paul_x

Postby appyday » 31 Mar 2012, 20:54

GeneralTechnique wrote:WOW!!............. It's not like this wasn't expected, but it still drops one's jaw to the floor hearing about it.

If I find out that Seth Luisi still has a job at Sony, I'll lose what little respect I still have for them. They (Sony & Seth) took SOCOM into a direction that the fans FLAT-OUT begged/warned them not to, then had the nerve to expect SOCOM 4 to be a blockbuster hit.

If only they (Sony) had given MAG the attention it deserved, and given MAG's playerbase the respect and handling they (we) deserved. It could have become a legendary franchise.

Agree....
appyday 40

PSN ID: appyday

Postby Padua » 31 Mar 2012, 21:41

I read on the MAG forum, from an ex-lead Zipper developer that Zipper pretty much disintegrated from within and it was unfair to point the finger of blame at Sony. :?

MAG is unique for a console fps game, particularly 256 player domination and they had the tech to allow many more players!
I still hope Sony do more than support it and another studio brings out a sequel.
Maybe ZI had to die so that MAG could live?
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Cogglesz » 01 Apr 2012, 03:07

Hmm not happy about this, i was rather hopping these fellas would have a big involvement in the PS4 bringing a MAG2 into the tables for that, that would be nuts playing next gen graphics along side a couple hundred other people, its got so much potiential those games, MAG is awesome but in my opinion a few changes and features added in and it would be twice as nice, hence looking forward to MAG2, however i hope everyone manages ok and perhaps these good titles will be ok since they are sony exclusive, i don't know.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby gobbybobby » 01 Apr 2012, 04:14

Just becuase zipper are dead, does not mean Sony won't get another dev to make new socom/ Mag games.

As a mag player I am looking to the future. Dust and Planet side 2 look good!
gobbybobby 45

Xbox Live: gobbybobby
PSN ID: gobbybobby
Steam: gobbybobby
Battle.net: gobbybobby
xFire: gobbybobby

Postby GeneralTechnique » 01 Apr 2012, 05:44

I 100% expect any "new" developer to ruin the few things that made MAG great.

Think about it. The first things to go would probably be:
--the fact that MAG doesn't have auto-regen health
--the commander/leader control system
--faction locked characters
--skill tree will probably be replaced with something more like COD's perk system
--The tactics-based and progression-based spawn system
--etc.. etc.. etc....

The few things that saved MAG from being a total failure are also the types of things that strongly go against the grain of today's COD-clone market for shooter games.

Sony never appeared to be all that interested in supporting/promoting or taking pride in MAG. I don't feel that they are in any way motivated to preserve it's spiritual integrity, and that any attempts at a sequel without the members of the original dev team would just be a money-grubbing cash grab.
GeneralTechnique 15

Xbox Live: General Techniq
PSN ID: GeneralTechnique
Steam: GeneralTechnique

Postby monkeydan19 » 01 Apr 2012, 09:21

mag only good multiplayer game on ps3 shame if no mag 2
oh well more dust on ps3 thank god for xbox
monkeydan19 35

Postby ted1138 » 01 Apr 2012, 11:00

Sony shuts SOCOM developer Zipper

I do hope they don't feel to much of a pinch! :shock:
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby chunkyboymania » 01 Apr 2012, 22:09

Utterly gutted for Zipper they nailed it with MAG and I fear we will never see a sequel or another FPS of its kind in the future.
Sho Ryu Ken and that!!
chunkyboymania 55

Next