to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Epic's Mark Rein: 'Triple-A gaming is what we're about - we

Your comments on our articles.

Gears of War dev on Unreal Engine 4 and the future of gaming...

Epic Games' Mark Rein is one of our all-time favourite interviewees.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic's Mark Rein: 'Triple-A gaming is what we're about - we

Postby SavageEvil » 20 Mar 2012, 17:21

Lol, what? So what about in the past, those systems didn't have quite as much power yet they delivered Triple A gaming experience. So it's all about power now, funny thing is there never seems to be enough of it as they will always claim that it was the best we could do and there just wasn't enough power. Morons how about maximizing creative use of the power you already wield, optimize optimize optimize...sure it's great to have power but at the same time it just makes people lazy and they just throw s**t at it and hope for the best.

With all the power we have come across, I have yet to see a game that doesn't have clipping...and that's saying something. I have yet to see intelligent animation(especially in wrestling and fighting games). No one has created an engine that mimics how the human body reacts within a real world environment, that right there would be a testament to programming. Do that and I will say that you guys have come very far. That would be an EPIC achievement, think about it no more watching characters doing things that look ridiculous, like walking along a ledge but with one leg on solid ground and the other in midair, or fighting games where arms clip through bodies or have a predetermined grapple animation that looks bad when you have a different size character. Get me some reactive animation that changes depending what you set it against.

I remember ragdoll physics was all the rage, but seriously humans only look like that when we are hurled at velocities high enough and we are unconscious or already dead. A live or conscious human will try to regain his bearings and tighten up for the impending impact. I've seen programming that makes skin look lifelike, but I have yet to see it react lifelike.

Until some of those things are met, all that ridiculous power needed is still a point pointless, just create imaginative worlds and make the gameplay fun. I still have fun playing old and pretty ugly games, Beach Spikers on GC is one such game, fun to play but 640 x 480 visuals on a 42" LCD is not the prettiest, lol.
SavageEvil 51

Re: Epic's Mark Rein: 'Triple-A gaming is what we're about -

Postby dicky1993 » 20 Mar 2012, 18:29

i love epic but they need to shut up about next gen consoles, their unreal engine and themselves
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby Padua » 20 Mar 2012, 19:12

I had to remind myself about AAA games that use Unreal :P
I am also simply astounded that the Mark Rein had not seen the David Cage "Kara" Demo :shock:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby stealth » 20 Mar 2012, 20:55

the guy is silly
stealth 47

Postby JPTiger » 20 Mar 2012, 21:12

SavageEvil wrote:With all the power we have come across, I have yet to see a game that doesn't have clipping...and that's saying something. I have yet to see intelligent animation(especially in wrestling and fighting games). No one has created an engine that mimics how the human body reacts within a real world environment, that right there would be a testament to programming. Do that and I will say that you guys have come very far. That would be an EPIC achievement, think about it no more watching characters doing things that look ridiculous, like walking along a ledge but with one leg on solid ground and the other in midair, or fighting games where arms clip through bodies or have a predetermined grapple animation that looks bad when you have a different size character. Get me some reactive animation that changes depending what you set it against.

You do realise that there are engines out there that do some of those things. Reactive animation, for example, look at the Euphoria engine, which was used in GTA4, The Force Unleashed and will be in Max Payne 3.

And the reason why many developers don't have these things is three fold:
1. The games would potentially take longer to make, leading to public complaints.
2. Money. It doesn't grow on trees.
3. Processing Power. Nuff said.
JPTiger 43

Postby Balladeer » 20 Mar 2012, 21:18

"AAA" is the new "hardcore". Bloody stupid term.
Balladeer 78

Postby Cogglesz » 21 Mar 2012, 20:58

f**k Triple A... AAAA games are where its at now a days!
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby SavageEvil » 22 Mar 2012, 06:58

JPTiger wrote:
SavageEvil wrote:With all the power we have come across, I have yet to see a game that doesn't have clipping...and that's saying something. I have yet to see intelligent animation(especially in wrestling and fighting games). No one has created an engine that mimics how the human body reacts within a real world environment, that right there would be a testament to programming. Do that and I will say that you guys have come very far. That would be an EPIC achievement, think about it no more watching characters doing things that look ridiculous, like walking along a ledge but with one leg on solid ground and the other in midair, or fighting games where arms clip through bodies or have a predetermined grapple animation that looks bad when you have a different size character. Get me some reactive animation that changes depending what you set it against.

You do realise that there are engines out there that do some of those things. Reactive animation, for example, look at the Euphoria engine, which was used in GTA4, The Force Unleashed and will be in Max Payne 3.

And the reason why many developers don't have these things is three fold:
1. The games would potentially take longer to make, leading to public complaints.
2. Money. It doesn't grow on trees.
3. Processing Power. Nuff said.

And what is your point basically? Mine was simple incorporate all of these things into the gen we are in now, don't say it can't be done that's a load of BS. Too long the excuse is we need more power and all that does is increase budgets because you need more money to spend on more tools and tech to take advantage of powerful high end visuals(or so they say) I just don't get it. Considering whenever something was created within a generation and things had to be cut for some reason the next gen it costs more all of a sudden to include these things which you couldn't get to work in the last generation? I really don't understand that crazy things that go on at dev houses, with all the creating of new bloody engines to run on hardware that doesn't exist as yet...EPIC these guys are at the forefront of making things that aren't available to anyone but people with money to burn. PC's that's a fine thing as you can scale things to run, but a console is different and we don't need these ridiculous levels of detail...continuing down this road of diminishing returns is going to hurt them and the entire industry. What happens when all the games look super realistic, then what? What will differentiate CoD33 from BF27?

Enjoy this generation for as long as we can, the next one might be the last one that any old school gamer gets any hint of enjoyment out of. All this digital mess and triple A crap talk just beginning to make me sick and yearn for a simpler time when it was about fun and less about trying to make things hyper real. Next stop Star Trek holodeck type games, yay can't wait...sarcasm!
SavageEvil 51