Double Fine's Kickstarter revolution: Why it won't get our d

Your comments on our articles.

Fan affection can easily turn into spite, warns John Dean

One of the most exciting things about gaming is watching how rapidly the industry evolves. Erratically adapting to new technology and ideas, it's this unpredictability that makes games so exciting - with another new shocker always just around the corner.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Double Fine's Kickstarter revolution: Why it won't get our d

Postby KMakawa » 14 Feb 2012, 12:39

I pledged in hopes that they make something along the lines of Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Discworld Noir and whatnot.. true point & click games.. I miss those days.

I highly doubt they will, and they'll come up with something like Stacking(which I really dont like. :D) But its only £9 to pledge so you get the game, which isnt that big of a deal.

Best of luck to them.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic

Re: Double Fine's Kickstarter revolution: Why it won't get o

Postby c3dpo » 14 Feb 2012, 13:16

TLDR: sorry!

when you start a article about games and innovation moving so quickly???

Really, who other than Nintendo are leading innovation and are actually innovating anything???

Answer is not many, a few kinect games / move. Nothing using the apparently robust Voice recognition of Kinect?????

So better GFX are classed as innovation? Not in my oppinion sorry.

The one thing you do have right is that companies wont take a chance on new IP's or innovating something existing.
c3dpo 35

Postby nathar » 14 Feb 2012, 13:21

Games budgets tend to be a lot larger that the relatively small amount DF asked for, so i suspect thats the reason we wont see many games being crowdsourced ike this - the budgets for most are way beyond the goodwill we have towards companies.

I think the really interesting thing here is the prospect that one of the larger devs/publishers will do the same for a popular IP, only beginning development when they recieve a set amount. It may be that double fine have actually shown some of the larger companies that this is another way they can take our money. We already pay for content that should be in game in the first place or created by the community, so I fear that someone like Kotick is paying attention to this story..

KMakawa wrote:I pledged in hopes that they make something along the lines of Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Discworld Noir and whatnot.. true point & click games.. I miss those days.

I pledged specifcially because this is a point and click, and if youve seen their pitch video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSteVDn78s
..they make it clear that this is specifically for P&C so i can't imagine they can back out of that now. Apparently the extra cash they recieved will go on more versions, languages, voice acting etc. And of course as backers we get input into the game as its made so we will all get the chance to flame Tim Shaffer if he starts going in a different direction :)
nathar 47

Postby 10699 » 14 Feb 2012, 13:32

c3dpo wrote:TLDR: sorry!

when you start a article about games and innovation moving so quickly???

Really, who other than Nintendo are leading innovation and are actually innovating anything???

Answer is not many, a few kinect games / move. Nothing using the apparently robust Voice recognition of Kinect?????

So better GFX are classed as innovation? Not in my oppinion sorry.

The one thing you do have right is that companies wont take a chance on new IP's or innovating something existing.

Maybe if you'd have read the article your comment would be worthwhile to read to then.
10699 56

Postby KMakawa » 14 Feb 2012, 19:13

I pledged specifcially because this is a point and click, and if youve seen their pitch video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSteVDn78s
..they make it clear that this is specifically for P&C so i can't imagine they can back out of that now. Apparently the extra cash they recieved will go on more versions, languages, voice acting etc. And of course as backers we get input into the game as its made so we will all get the chance to flame Tim Shaffer if he starts going in a different direction

Yep it was the video and the whole idea of bypassing a publisher, and giving a developer more independance -- is what made me pledge. Point & Click have fast died out, all but left are some stupid games like"So Blonde"

So here is hoping that this is the first step to reviving the Point & Click genre. Do you remember Dreamfall / The Longest Journey?? I mean oh my god.. such an awesome series.. All but dead now due to everyone looking towards shooters all day.

I miss those days.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 15 Feb 2012, 10:24

KMakawa wrote:So here is hoping that this is the first step to reviving the Point & Click genre. Do you remember Dreamfall / The Longest Journey?? I mean oh my god.. such an awesome series.. All but dead now due to everyone looking towards shooters all day.

I miss those days.

Me too. The end to that game was bloody heartbreaking. Least you can get it off live on xbox originals well ou used to be able to not sure they're still up.

Back on topic proper. Sure this kind of funding isn't going to work for everyone, but as far as this project goes its a bloody dream come true for so many and how any publisher wouldn't bite shaefers hand off for it is insane. Just look at how well the monkey island remakes did or how well Telltale are doing and you can see that point and clicks definately aren't dead.

Still if Double Fine decide to find more games this way i'll put up the cash for every last one of em. They've never made a bad game and if this is successful hopefully it'll see more smaller or experimental projects funded this way.

As gaming journalists CVG should be encouraging this and showing us whats on offer not decrying it, then again It's publishers ad space that pays the bills so it'd not be in your best interests to.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Barca Azul » 15 Feb 2012, 18:05

Me too, great idea.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/667 ... -adventure

They have over 1.7M now!
Barca Azul 63

Postby jdkoke » 16 Feb 2012, 11:56

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:
As gaming journalists CVG should be encouraging this and showing us whats on offer not decrying it, then again It's publishers ad space that pays the bills so it'd not be in your best interests to.

Nae that I'm in the habit o sticking up for CVG but where did they decry it? I thought it was a balanced article and one of the better things written on CVG, just my opinion
jdkoke 43

Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Postby AvatarIII » 17 Feb 2012, 10:57

I've upped my pledge to $30 (about £19) because I want them to make it to $2 million (5 times their original request) I'd quite like to see them make it to $4m, so we've got a nice round 10x original request :D they still have 25 days to do it!

my guess is that at some point they literally won't be able to put any more money into the game though,

PSN ID: AvatarIII
Steam: AvatarIII

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 17 Feb 2012, 12:42

AvatarIII wrote:I've upped my pledge to $30 (about £19) because I want them to make it to $2 million (5 times their original request) I'd quite like to see them make it to $4m, so we've got a nice round 10x original request :D they still have 25 days to do it!

my guess is that at some point they literally won't be able to put any more money into the game though,

I think they reached that point about 3 days ago. They could always just rename it. Double fine adventure series. They've already got enough cash to turn the single adventure game into a trilogy. I'm sure if some of the funding went on to help out with psychonauts 2 nobody would mind either.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Barca Azul » 17 Feb 2012, 14:27

Made my pledge too, I think its fantastic the way its going. 1.9M now and lots of platforms.

I bet there are a few Publishers that were dubious, are now losing the wry smile from their faces and thinking WTF?

Question is, how many people could have done this? Is it just the Schaffer/Double fine connection, the genre, ect..

How many would pledge for a Bobby Kotick Kickstart for example? Not many im guessing and certainly not the 58K that have already for this!

I find it all quite exciting.
Barca Azul 63

Postby dwhlufc » 17 Feb 2012, 14:40

I'm going to come across dumb but if I make the donation will I get a copy on ps3 for free?
dwhlufc 76