to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The best and worst DLC on PS3

Your comments on our articles.

From horse armour to Gay Tony: PSM3 on making downloadable content better

Ever since Bethesda threw Oblivion's infamous Horse Armour at us for £1.50, downloadable content has been a disappointment. A few new maps, costume packs that would once have been in-game unlockables, paid-for cheats... Yes, there's a market for it, and no, we have no problem if you want to make Dan Hibiki fight in a hula skirt. But DLC can be better.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The best and worst DLC on PS3

Postby billysastard » 12 Feb 2012, 19:01

the only dlc that was ever worth buying ended up getting a full retail release. pretty much everything else was removed content that we alreadey paid for (ie the complete game)

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Re: The best and worst DLC on PS3

Postby gmcb007 » 12 Feb 2012, 19:41

in favour of five brand new, story-driven experiences that ranged from an arcade-action trip to Canada

Since when was Alsaska in Canada?
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Imaduck » 12 Feb 2012, 19:42

Dead Money was guff, really, pity like but it was. Minerva's Den was the best DLC I've ever played, and I've played a hell of a lot. Better than most games these days.
Imaduck 58

Postby damoxuk » 12 Feb 2012, 19:44

I very rarely buy DLC for games unless it's single player DLC or DLC what add's stuff into the existing world.

LAir of the Shadow Broker for ME2 is prime example of DLC what was absolutely brilliant.
Missing Link for Desu Ex although a touch steep price wise was awesome (but if comparing it to COD mpa packs a bargain).

I would never pay for costumes/map packs/avatars/weapon unlock DLC as they should be in the game or at least be able to be unlocked within the game via some kind of reward for a mission etc.

I miss the big PC Expansion packs.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby dicky1993 » 12 Feb 2012, 19:46

dlc i have bought and enjoyed is mainly rockstar dlc (undead nightmare, both gta4 packs and LA NOIRE cases), i really love Minervas Den it is a great piece and played through it 3 times.
Vietnam for BC2 was pretty decent aswell.

Shame alot of people charge too much for too little, if cod map packs were 500points then i'd buy them, but at 1200 for 2 zombie maps nuh uh
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby DaftTechno » 12 Feb 2012, 20:35

No mention of all the DLC for Borderlands? With all 4 DLC packs (Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, The Secret Armory of General Knox, and Claptrap's New Robot Revolution) you almost double the total amount of game content. You get new enemies, massive new areas to explore, and more of everything that made Borderlands great.
DaftTechno 15
New user

Postby MattyR95 » 12 Feb 2012, 21:21

I rarely buy DLC, even when I hear good things about it and they're cheap (like the ME2 arrival, just forgot about it basically and I can't be bothered going back to it). Only DLCs I get are ones that are on the game like Oblivion GOTY or if theres some special offer (Like when all the FO3 DLC was given away for free for PS+ before new vegas came out). I think the last DLC I properly bought was the undead nightmare for RDR.
MattyR95 54

Postby Reegeee » 13 Feb 2012, 00:17

DaftTechno wrote:No mention of all the DLC for Borderlands? With all 4 DLC packs (Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, The Secret Armory of General Knox, and Claptrap's New Robot Revolution) you almost double the total amount of game content. You get new enemies, massive new areas to explore, and more of everything that made Borderlands great.

Well said and I'm amazed they forgot about it. I see the Borderlands and GTA DLCs as top of the class.
Reegeee 73

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby HBK_nWo33 » 13 Feb 2012, 01:31

Good article.

I think that gaming websites/magazines could help matters by reviewing DLC. Gaming websites generally ignore DLC, they announce it will be released, then we never hear of it again. Gaming websites should review all DLC for big games, and as many downloadable game titles as possible.

If gaming websites and magazines do this, and put an emphasis on it, gaming companies might think twice before churning out the same old crap. Especially if the reviews actually do have an effect on sales. I have always wondered why gaming websites always treat DLC as an afterthought and then complain when developers do.

Fingers crossed games one day actually learn the benefits of DLC, instead of taking things away from our main game experience for a cheap cash in.
HBK_nWo33 12

Postby TheLastDodo » 13 Feb 2012, 01:36

I'd never seen the infamous horse armour before.

It would be great if you took it into battle and were laughed to death.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby rhyfel » 13 Feb 2012, 07:42

DLC is a rip off, nothing more nothing less, nowadays game developers are nothing more than corporate thieves all you ever hear is how badly done to thay are with losing out on the used games market, TUFF take it out on the retailers and not your customers, we all know game publishers are the scum of the earth.
rhyfel 37

Postby YouStoleMyKill » 13 Feb 2012, 08:48

I dont mind paying for dlc if i play a game and enjoy it then why the f**k not :wink: but their is some really how can I put it :?: .. pointless and/or shite like Resistance 2 Black Ops character skin ... who in there right mind would spend money on a dlc they cant even see :lol: besides if I dont spend my spare money on dlc then id end up spending it on drugs or worse .. alcohol :evil:
YouStoleMyKill 37

PSN ID: Connor_mufc_1985

Postby mattdark » 13 Feb 2012, 10:20

Interesting that the article starts off by going on about the Horse Armour, despite the fact that they never released any of the DLC for Oblivion on the PS3 (with the exception of shivering isles I belive)
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 51

PSN ID: MattDark86

Postby superfruit » 13 Feb 2012, 13:25

Imagine if an Assassin's Creed expansion offered a campaign starring anew assassin, where at some point it's casually revealed your character is gay. In a mainline sequel it would be a controversial, even devastating move for stab-happy players

Why do we need any assertation of someone's sexuality in games? So what are we saying, C&VG? Keep the gays for DLC, segregation if you will?

Most action games are full of rampant homo-erotic subtext anyway.
superfruit 48

Postby coldburner » 13 Feb 2012, 13:32

DLC for Castlevania on PS3 is way overpriced. DLC for GTA4 is perfecrtly priced.
coldburner 31

Next