Syndicate: Light on tactics, big on atmosphere

Your comments on our articles.

Video hands-on with the near-final game...

Whether you've played the original 1993 Syndicate or not, it doesn't matter - the only thing this game has in common with that is the setting; a world run by corporations who control and monitor their citizens with sinister brain implants.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Syndicate: Light on tactics, big on atmosphere

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 08 Feb 2012, 14:36

So lets get this straight. the multiplayer, is very tactical and reminisant of the original in places. But the single player is just a shooter with a bit of a twist in gameplay a decent storyline and very cool setting.

Well thats good enough for me.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Re: Syndicate: Light on tactics, big on atmosphere

Postby shadyMrPatch » 08 Feb 2012, 14:50

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Why call it Syndicate. Why take the name, remove almost any chance that there will ever be another proper Syndicate strategy game and then turn out an average shooter.

"Its pretty but plays like its from the late ninties"...? What the f**k is the point. This is Deus Ex HR, the devolved edition. At least the gameplay in that was mid naughties...

f**k Starbreeze. Bring pack Bullfrog
PSN : <not telling>
shadyMrPatch 44

Postby dicky1993 » 08 Feb 2012, 15:06

so basically changing it from the original, packaging it and selling a re made game for £40? it should at least be £30 if they already had the basis
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby richomack360 » 08 Feb 2012, 15:57

Oh dear, oh dear, oh triple dear

A preview that isn't even a page long - alarm bells ringing ? I should think so, judging by some of the quotes from Andrew "I Am Always Right" Kelly

Here are some choice quotes from him to encourage you to splash £40

"Your bio-engineered agent has powers that make it seem as if there's some tactical depth to the combat, but there really isn't"

"but it's all a gimmick; a clever, and effective, distraction from the fact that it's a really basic shooter at heart."

"There moments that feel cinematic and empowering, like a tense chase through a grimy tenement block full of shrieking civillians, but also moments where there are glaring cracks in the level design."

"An early boss battle sees waves of identical enemies spawning through sealed-off doorways"

"fight with a rival agent who can implausibly soak up hundreds of bullets"

"Despite its futuristic setting, it feels oddly old school"

"The parity between the modern visuals and interface, and the archaic game mechanics, can be distracting, and a is little disappointing"

"Syndicate is not as smart as Deus Ex, despite obvious similarities"

"The combat is good, but doesn't try anything different or especially brave"

"sometimes that's enough"

Doesn't really encourage me.....seems that even CVG now know its a pile of steaming you know what (after hundreds of articles on it)

Please, by all means spend your £40 - I will spend it on a good night out, rather than several bad nights in
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby iucidium » 08 Feb 2012, 16:26

richomack360 wrote:Oh dear, oh dear, oh triple dear

A preview that isn't even a page long - alarm bells ringing ? I should think so, judging by some of the quotes from Andrew "I Am Always Right" Kelly

Here are some choice quotes from him to encourage you to splash £40

"Your bio-engineered agent has powers that make it seem as if there's some tactical depth to the combat, but there really isn't"

"but it's all a gimmick; a clever, and effective, distraction from the fact that it's a really basic shooter at heart."

"There moments that feel cinematic and empowering, like a tense chase through a grimy tenement block full of shrieking civillians, but also moments where there are glaring cracks in the level design."

"An early boss battle sees waves of identical enemies spawning through sealed-off doorways"

"fight with a rival agent who can implausibly soak up hundreds of bullets"

"Despite its futuristic setting, it feels oddly old school"

"The parity between the modern visuals and interface, and the archaic game mechanics, can be distracting, and a is little disappointing"

"Syndicate is not as smart as Deus Ex, despite obvious similarities"

"The combat is good, but doesn't try anything different or especially brave"

"sometimes that's enough"

Doesn't really encourage me.....seems that even CVG now know its a pile of steaming you know what (after hundreds of articles on it)

Please, by all means spend your £40 - I will spend it on a good night out, rather than several bad nights in

+1. Don't buy it.
I got a warning for saying what most people have probably thought.

I predicted the Wii U controllers use.

Pie lesu domine
Dona eis requiem
iucidium 40

Xbox Live: AMOUR DE CHEVAL
PSN ID: Iucidium
Wii Code: CANN OTBE BOTH ERED

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 08 Feb 2012, 17:01

The gunplay in the demo really is just a massive turd sandwich. Enemies can move quicker than you can ADS, and the responsiveness of the controls ranges between twitchy and sluggish, making close encounters with more than one enemy a nightmare. The sniper rifle is gash, with a clip of only 4 bullets, and unless you land a headshot it takes two bullets to down an enemy.

I played it with a mate last night, and after two goes I just wanted it to stop. I managed to get a couple of objectives done, but didn't feel compelled to get to the end.

So there's my preview, s**t gunplay in an FPS. Whoops.
"A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you, but it does seem to be a fact."
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 08 Feb 2012, 20:37

I made the mistake of playing this on the 360 just jumping into a random game............. Oh dear....

Its amazing how dumb people have become from playing certain FPS games, everyone was just rushing in firing away, absolutely no tactics whatsoever, the idea and gameplay itself were fine but as i said in another post on this game this is a title to play with friends only because you absolutely need to be able to talk to each other and formulate plans, especially for when the hard bosses etc come out to play, when i played it for the first few times i was the last one standing all the damn time because everyone else just treated it like COD

It wont sell though, it has zero chance, already people are hating it because of retarded things like.... It's name.... Really guys???? and the fact that its not Deus Ex, why on earth would it want to be???? its fundemental game design is different.

Im looking forward to the full game and its definately getting purchased at some point.
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby TheLastDodo » 08 Feb 2012, 21:41

Megatrons_Fury wrote:I made the mistake of playing this on the 360 just jumping into a random game............. Oh dear....

Its amazing how dumb people have become from playing certain FPS games, everyone was just rushing in firing away, absolutely no tactics whatsoever, the idea and gameplay itself were fine but as i said in another post on this game this is a title to play with friends only because you absolutely need to be able to talk to each other and formulate plans, especially for when the hard bosses etc come out to play, when i played it for the first few times i was the last one standing all the damn time because everyone else just treated it like COD

It wont sell though, it has zero chance, already people are hating it because of retarded things like.... It's name.... Really guys???? and the fact that its not Deus Ex, why on earth would it want to be???? its fundemental game design is different.

Im looking forward to the full game and its definately getting purchased at some point.

If single player is like the multiplayer then it's a purchase for me too.

Couldn't care less about what a few "old school" Syndicate nerds say, things change.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Metatasian » 08 Feb 2012, 22:00

LOL, New Syndicate = FAIL! There's gona be a bazillion of these in the HMV/GAME bargain bin within a month.
Metatasian 41

Postby skabone » 08 Feb 2012, 22:25

wasn't too impressed by the videos of this but I had a go of the demo and wasn't as bad as I expected. Controls don't feel great tho and all games I had were laggy - also by using the xray vision you can literally see your enemies spawning round corners..lame...

did have a few L4D moments with the 4player co-op, a lot like brink in places. And wierdly did remind me of the original syndicate - the sound of guns blazing all the time - wierd design choices. the lighting.
the end level boss is quite interesting to play co-op. Brink didn't do well cos of its art design and crappy missions but L4D1&2 are some of my favorite games. I like team play....

...but

this will probably go the same way as a lot of other loved franchises that have been raped with s****y modern updates.

(I hate you operation flashpoint. I hate you so very much)
skabone 29

Postby dwhlufc » 14 Feb 2012, 01:09

Just tried the co-op demo with two friends and thought it was brilliant,the sound was reminiscent of BF2 (haven't played BF3) and the gunplay was really impressive with the weapons feeling meaty,especially the sniper rifles.

I'll definitely be purchasing this at some point.
dwhlufc 76

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 17 Feb 2012, 21:45

i have to stick up for this too,
played a many few games with 2 mates the last couple of nights and we all liked it alot
its very pacey and enjoyable, we will be buying it soon after release if not on the day. alot of co-op fun to be had until GRFS comes out
Joe90_Remy700 48

Xbox Live: heart attak joe
PSN ID: heart_attak_joe

Postby jnewco81 » 19 Feb 2012, 15:08

Been playing the demo, and although i'd have loved a new Syndicate strategy game, this isn't bad at all. I think i'll be picking it up at some point. I do think it's going to get lost amongst all the other FPS's though.
jnewco81 22