to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The Darkness 2

Your comments on our articles.

Ripping yarn

During the six hours it takes to complete The Darkness II you rip men in half, pop off their heads like a child pulling the lid off a felt-tip, slash off their legs, rip their spines from their bodies, and tear out their hearts as they watch. And these are the tame executions. (There's one horrifying kill called 'Assecution' where your tentacles enter a man through his... look, it's one of the most disgusting things. Ever.)... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Darkness 2

Postby feeg86 » 07 Feb 2012, 14:54

Disappointing. What appealed so much with the first one was it's atmosphere and pacing. There was a real feel for the world you were in. It sounds like this has lost that in an attempt to pick up some some sales from the CoD audience.
feeg86 43

Re: The Darkness 2

Postby ensabahnur » 07 Feb 2012, 14:57

Still sounds like a delightful little romp to me, my pre-order can just go ahead.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby dicky1993 » 07 Feb 2012, 15:06

is there new game + (i skim read sorry if they mention it)
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby The_KFD_Case » 07 Feb 2012, 16:07

"Digital Extremes have a decent stab at the heart-warming tale of demon-infested mob-boss Jackie Estacado and his dead girlfriend Jenny,..."

One of the single best and emotionally touching sets of scenes in all of the computer and video games I've played over the past 27 years. More of this, please.

I've been anticipating Darkness II and I suspect I'll enjoy it (though I do hope that I'll think there's more story and soul left in the game than this review indicates). It will not be a pre-order nor a day one purchase, however. Those days are all but over for me nowadays.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby Earthrod » 07 Feb 2012, 16:18

dicky1993 wrote:is there new game + (i skim read sorry if they mention it)
It doesn't get mentioned in the CVG review but I've read elsewhere that there is New Game + option upon completion.
PSN ID - MageDoomUK
Earthrod 62

PSN ID: MageDoomUK

Postby clifton » 07 Feb 2012, 17:03

But can you watch To Kill A Mockingbird with your girlfriend though?
clifton 41

Postby moogiesboy » 07 Feb 2012, 17:34

feeg86 wrote:Disappointing. What appealed so much with the first one was it's atmosphere and pacing. There was a real feel for the world you were in. It sounds like this has lost that in an attempt to pick up some some sales from the CoD audience.

Hmmm... you might be right. But have to say, the demo still had that origanal Darkness vibe, to me anyhow. Going to hedge my bets and get this in on rental.
moogiesboy 51

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby eastldn » 07 Feb 2012, 19:15

cvg use http://wistia.com/ please :)
eastldn 43

Postby silent moose » 08 Feb 2012, 00:36

since when was resistance 3 a genre great :roll:
silent moose 44

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 08 Feb 2012, 10:31

silent moose wrote:since when was resistance 3 a genre great :roll:

Since it had one of the best single Player campains in this gen of gaming.

Back on topic though. I'm going to guess that the reviewer hasn't read any of the darkness because the whole part about the sect trying to steal the darkness is taken right out of it, they're pretty integral to the whole. Sometimes the apparent good guys ar far worse than the bad guys theme that runs through the books.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 08 Feb 2012, 19:38

PSM3 review again.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 08 Feb 2012, 21:32

I thought the demo for this was pretty decent. I loved the art style. Very fancy. I will definitely get this game when the price drops as the reviews say its really short.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby IbanezLewis » 11 Feb 2012, 19:25

Just a quick one guys, completed this today, it's hands down one of the best storytelling games I've ever played. The connection that is created between yourself, Jackie and his love for Jenny really captured me in a way no other game really has before. I'll be honest, I shed a tear at the end. If that makes me gay, so be it! I really do advise anyone who wants a great game to play to go out and get this asap.

P.S: In no way has it lost it's atmospheric edge and feel. It's been tweaked and tightened. It's nothing like COD.
IbanezLewis 56

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 13 Feb 2012, 14:48

This does look very good but 6 hours to complete the campaign?

Come on, where are the days that a good FPS has a campaign that lasts at least 10 hours?

Again, another FPS with a short capmiagn with tacked on mindless and pointless MP.

Will definately wait for this to drop heavily in price before I pick it up.

Such a shame, but I cannot defend spending £40 on a game that I'll probably complete in a week or less.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby ensabahnur » 13 Feb 2012, 15:21

MANYOO4EVA wrote:
Again, another FPS with a short capmiagn with tacked on mindless and pointless MP.

Aye it may be a short campaign but i wouldn't say the MP is a tacked on or pointless. Its a full co-op campaign that'll add another good few hours onto the running time. I'd rather developers did this than just tack on deathmatch modes or just let you play the main game co-op where the other characters don't exist in cut-scenes.
Yes i'd much rather have a longer campaign but when they've taken time to stick in a co-op one as well at least they've tried to add longevity by doing this instead of just creating 8 maps and letting us play team deathmatch. It also means the MP should last for a bit longer instead of people getting bored and going back to CoD/BF3.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Next