Soul Calibur V

Your comments on our articles.

Ivy league

The title Soul Calibur V implies succession: more of the same, bigger and better. No real difference. But Soul Calibur V is a surprise, and a radical change for Namco Bandai's venerable fighting series. Everything's as lavish and over-the-top as usual, but the fighting system has been thoroughly reworked. Its biggest influence? Street Fighter IV... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Soul Calibur V

Postby slimify d » 31 Jan 2012, 10:30

genuinely pleased to read that its turned out well, i had a quick go on it at gamefest and i did enjoy it im glad to hear there is a bit of depth there
currently playing
360 - Halo 4/black ops 2/Tekken tag 2/NFS-MW
ps3 - fifa 13/WWE 13
pc - BF3/Trine
Wii U - Zombi U,

currently wanting Pikmin 3. DMC
slimify d 30

Xbox Live: slimify d
PSN ID: slimify-d
Steam: slimifyd
Battle.net: mcslimifyd@aol.com

Re: Soul Calibur V

Postby photoboy » 31 Jan 2012, 11:16

I can't decide whether to give this a try or not. I missed SC2, but I felt SC3 and SC4 couldn't hold a candle to Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. The story mode sounds suspiciously like that awful story mode from Tekken 6 so that's a bit off-putting too.
photoboy 49

Postby Niknak106 » 31 Jan 2012, 11:36

Only a CVG reviewer can review a one on one fighting game and make absolutely no mention of the multiplayer. You know, the whole reason people buy fighting games with the exception of maybe the latest Mortal Kombat. No mention of the netcode, the available game modes, the ranking sytem....nothing.

Not to worry, I still love you.
....needless to say, I had the last laugh!
Niknak106 58

Xbox Live: Combichrist
Steam: Artimus_Clydefrog
Battle.net: Combichrist#2276

Postby ensabahnur » 31 Jan 2012, 12:55

Niknak106 wrote:Only a CVG reviewer can review a one on one fighting game and make absolutely no mention of the multiplayer. You know, the whole reason people buy fighting games with the exception of maybe the latest Mortal Kombat. No mention of the netcode, the available game modes, the ranking sytem....nothing.

Not to worry, I still love you.
Beat me to it, seriously though how can they completely forget to tell us about the MP, its what games like this are built for!

I'd like to know about the netcode and whether or not they put Battle mode back in, its omission in SC4 was the worst thing about the game for me (well maybe not as bad as the cheap Star Wars characters).
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby Cogglesz » 31 Jan 2012, 14:55

Good to hear this is going to be decent, SC has a place in my heart, was the first fighting game i was actually decent at never got pwned from my big brother in and waving blades about, that was awesome at first instead of just fists.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby Budly Moore » 31 Jan 2012, 15:05

I never buy games based on online MP, I buy them if they're fun. Besides which, I get my spanked arse handed to me everytime in MP.
[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/mogwha][img]http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/544/mogwha.png[/img][/url]
Budly Moore 49

Postby Windowlicker79 » 31 Jan 2012, 17:03

As long as its good for local VS and it'll work with my Tekken 6 wireless arcade sticks then I'll be happy, but I'm not sure I'll pay nearly £150 for it.....
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby zinaptik » 31 Jan 2012, 18:34

This (much like your MGS collection review) is word for word the same as the PSM3 magazine from last month, and should have been an opportunity to expand on it/offer a follow up opinion, or talk about the multilayer like the above readers noted.
zinaptik 47

Postby Windowlicker79 » 01 Feb 2012, 00:22

zinaptik wrote:This (much like your MGS collection review) is word for word the same as the PSM3 magazine from last month, and should have been an opportunity to expand on it/offer a follow up opinion, or talk about the multilayer like the above readers noted.

That's quite worrying considering this is supposed to be a review of the Xbox 360 version...
Windowlicker79 55

Postby zinaptik » 01 Feb 2012, 00:53

Windowlicker79 wrote:
zinaptik wrote:This (much like your MGS collection review) is word for word the same as the PSM3 magazine from last month, and should have been an opportunity to expand on it/offer a follow up opinion, or talk about the multilayer like the above readers noted.

That's quite worrying considering this is supposed to be a review of the Xbox 360 version...

I read both reviews in PSM3 but the summary is here on meta, http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... lcalibur-v

lazy on CVG's part but its not the first time.
zinaptik 47

Postby porkchopz » 02 Feb 2012, 01:36

Hmm, I never thought the SC series was all that complex in the first place. Well certainly not compared to say the Virtua Fighter series - although I suppose VF makes everything look simple.
Do not underestimate the power of Playstation...
porkchopz 35

Postby wishface » 04 Feb 2012, 11:42

Not sure about the critical guage. SC never needed it. Having to use RT (to which you assign a + b +k) to guard impact is particularly awkward. My dpad hates these quarter circle moves as well.
wishface 41

Postby Windowlicker79 » 04 Feb 2012, 17:28

wishface wrote:Not sure about the critical guage. SC never needed it. Having to use RT (to which you assign a + b +k) to guard impact is particularly awkward. My dpad hates these quarter circle moves as well.

Get one of these....

Tekken Wireless Arcade Stick - Amazon

I've got two of them and they make every fighting game about 1000 times better to play. Build quality is good and they're a LOT more affordable than most other sticks. Plus you get a copy of Tekken 6 with them. And a pointless artwork book.
I got mine when they were doing them for £39.99. I think they're about £45 now but still well worth it.
Last edited by Windowlicker79 on 05 Feb 2012, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Windowlicker79 55

Postby wishface » 04 Feb 2012, 22:52

I'm not sure I feel comfortable spending £45+ on a controller just for one game.

I'm not even sure a stick is what you want for SC as most of its inputs are dpad presses. What would be best would be to get M$ to design a decent dpad.
wishface 41

Postby Windowlicker79 » 05 Feb 2012, 02:31

wishface wrote:I'm not sure I feel comfortable spending £45+ on a controller just for one game.

I'm not even sure a stick is what you want for SC as most of its inputs are dpad presses. What would be best would be to get M$ to design a decent dpad.

You can get much more accurate directional controls on a joystick than you can on any d-pad. Much faster double-taps and better diagonal movement recognition too.
If you play any fighting games then its always worth getting a stick. Admittedly me and my housemate play a lot of fighting games. We've got SSF4:AE, Marvel V Capcom 3, Tekken 6, Mortal Kombat, Blaz Blue plus a wireless adaptor to use the sticks on my PC for playing MAME and Neo Geo emulators, so we get quite a lot of use out of them. If the only fighting game you ever intend to play is Soul Calibur 5 then maybe it might not be worth the investment. If you already own SSF4 and are likely to buy other fighting games then a stick is well worth £45.

Plus there's the obvious fact that Soul Calibur is an arcade game. A stick is exactly what you need for it!
Last edited by Windowlicker79 on 05 Feb 2012, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Windowlicker79 55

Next