to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Kingdoms of Amalur: 'Skyrim and Oblivion are the same game.

Your comments on our articles.

Big Huge Games on why it's about to take the RPG world by storm...

Kingdoms of Amalur: Recknoning might be flying under the radar for most people, but those in the know have kept a keen eye on its development.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Kingdoms of Amalur: 'Skyrim and Oblivion are the same game.

Postby sonic_uk » 27 Jan 2012, 14:14

I'd never even heard of Kingdoms of Amalur until last night when I played the demo and was completely taken by surprise by just how good this unknown-to-me-at-the-time game was. I now intend to preorder a copy. Brilliant rpg game.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: 'Skyrim and Oblivion are the same ga

Postby TheLastDodo » 27 Jan 2012, 14:26

I'm far from the biggest Skyrim fan and I think Amalur absolutely destroys Skyrim as far as combat is concerned...........

HOWEVER

@Ian Frazier, if you're reading this (which you'd better not be), fix your own game before pointing out the massive flaws of others, the demo, once you go to talk to Hughes or whatever he's called, has a bug that automatically skips through an entire conversation.

Fix that then you can talk all the poop that you want about Skyrim.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Dewin » 27 Jan 2012, 15:10

Skyrim and Oblivion are the same game. We want to take RPGs in a new direction'

I played the demo. Looked to me like WoW meets Fable. The direction wasn't that "new" to be honest.
Dewin 49

Postby EddieNES » 27 Jan 2012, 15:24

Well, since we are all playing Elder Scrolls 5, I guess most people enjoy that kind of game. Let me know when Kingdoms of Amalur 5 comes out. Id be shocked to see 3.
EddieNES 27

Xbox Live: EddieNES
PSN ID: EddieNES

Postby radiocat » 27 Jan 2012, 15:30

"We want to take RPGs in a new direction?"

So here's another open-world Orcs and Elves RPG just like all the others. Hmmm?

I'd love to see RPGs being taken in a new direction... no orcs, no elves, no dragons. How about someone tries using a bit of imagination for once? How about an RPG set in ancient Greece, or 16th century China?
radiocat 34

Postby delmariachi » 27 Jan 2012, 15:37

Downed the demo and in general i wasn't that overawed by it. I know its not the 'be all and end all' til the full code is released but I found myself reminded of Fable and one or two older (albeit 2-d) Megadrive adventure games, so the something new and different is all well and good but its not quite the epoch making peice they are talking up so far (again going by the demo).

I have never been massively into adventure games, just a few here and there, The JRPG's and even Oblivion bored me, but Skyrim does something right. I couldn't tell you what it is, but i'm up to level 13-14 and can't get off it... And thats good enough for me

If i can play Amalur's finished code at a mates or something and its better than the demo, i may well seek a longer look but Skyrim's enough for me at the moment and for quite a few months to come.. That in turn could be Amalurs problem, especially with well timed "specials" on Skyrim of late and no need for codes if bought second hand.

I hope it does well, as new franchises are always welcome, but it's got some stiff competition.
delmariachi 47

Xbox Live: delmariachi
Steam: delmariachi

Postby stealth » 27 Jan 2012, 15:42

all western rpgs are generic. I played the demo of this and it was so bad

but he is right, elder scrolls are all the same lord of the rings rip off games
stealth 47

Postby budge » 27 Jan 2012, 16:31

Dewin wrote:

I played the demo. Looked to me like WoW meets Fable. The direction wasn't that "new" to be honest.

That's exactly what it reminded me of but it had a certain charm to it, the music was good and the voice acting was distinctively British. I'll be getting this game as soon as i'm done with FFXIII-2.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby TheCleip » 27 Jan 2012, 17:15

Dewin wrote:

Agreeeeeeeeed
TheCleip 26

Postby HarryJack » 27 Jan 2012, 17:39

I hate cocky developers they really p**s me off, thinking that they are the best at making games when in actual fact they have made a game that is a huge clone of Fable!! The signs are everywhere, the whirlpool's in the river to show that there was treasure, combat had Strength, Skill and Will and that everybody was British!! This is a totally unoriginal game! But I'm still getting it day of release! :D
HarryJack 23

Postby solamon77 » 27 Jan 2012, 18:00

This interview makes it seem like there was a lot of conflicting forces working on KoA: Reckoning. I hope the game doesn't suffer because of this. Guess I'll get to find out in a couple weeks since I have already preordered the game.
solamon77 43

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby Sammy_bham » 27 Jan 2012, 18:00

Demo was terrible.

"shrugs"

got mass effect 3 armour, thats all i care about.
"Life is a negotiation... we all WANT. So we give, to get what we want..." - Mordin Solus
Sammy_bham 38

Xbox Live: bale1986
PSN ID: sam4sonia

Postby Channel4 » 27 Jan 2012, 18:09

PC demo was completely unplayable for me. It let me play but the screen was black and when i paused it the pause screen just stayed up even when i unpaused it. I could only see what i was doing by looking at the map lol
Channel4 38

Postby MeanwhileGuy » 27 Jan 2012, 18:48

I'm all for more original RPGs, but going after Bethesda's audience i just going to fail. I didn't mind the demo, but it just felt so generic. That tends to happen when your game that supposedly takes the RPG "in a new direction" plays like Fable and looks like Dragon Age with more colours.

Good luck lads, you're going to need it.
MeanwhileGuy 6
New user

Postby vitorfernandes83 » 27 Jan 2012, 20:14

You want to play a good RPG for a change? Try Xenoblade on the Wii, I'm hooked, skyrim and a few other games are gathering dust for now, hope I find time to play them maybe in the summer.
vitorfernandes83 26

Next