Microsoft: Xbox 360 line-up 'about quality, not quantity'

Your comments on our articles.

Phil Spencer defends number of exclusive titles announced for 2012

The lack of announced core releases for Xbox 360 this year has been defended by Xbox corporate VP Phil Spencer, who's claimed that output should be about "quality and impact, not number of releases in a year."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby KMakawa » 23 Jan 2012, 11:46

I don't really care for exclusives that much to be honest, I mean sure they are welcomed.. but the 360 doesn't really need them :S, the only exclusives I really play are Fable on 360 and Uncharted on PS3, so not much a deal for me. Exclusives are a thing of the past and as soon as the two giants understand that all the better really.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic

Postby kirankara » 23 Jan 2012, 11:46

Ok I have two things to say in this topic.
First,i.couldn't agree less with this guy.street a year or do of not owning a 360,I repurchased one about summer last year.so far the only thing to justify it, is Alan wake and dodgy programming by bethseda (skyrim).gears was utter disappointment, and got bored towards middle and with Co.op managed to get near end before calling it a day with the game finally.

Secondly, if posters put up things like this weed get warnings for flame baiting, what's difference???
kirankara 57

Postby Toasted_PSP » 23 Jan 2012, 11:46

When MS had more exclusive then Sony it was all about Quantity and mocking Sony for their lack of exclusives, now they have less its all about Quality.
Toasted_PSP 64

Re: Microsoft: Xbox 360 line-up 'about quality, not quantity

Postby benedictm » 23 Jan 2012, 11:56

Or, you know, all the big exclusives are being hld to launch with new Xbox towards the end of the year

No one else find I were we haven't sen any actual footage of Halo 4? Big reveal at E3 as a launch title fore nextbox

Along with Fable 4 :)

2011 was all about the 3 2012 is the 4
benedictm 40

Postby Villanous » 23 Jan 2012, 11:59

So, basically he's saying Microsoft have run out of quality games in quantity?

I was going to switch my focus from Xbox to PS3 this year as MS seem to be losing interest in gaming and focusing on media hub tat, but having decided that my PS3 died so that plan may be out the window.
Villanous 22

Postby StonecoldMC » 23 Jan 2012, 12:04

Hard to argue with the old adage more quality than quantity, however we Gamers are a funny bunch and we like to now what Games are coming out on our chosen platform.

In saying that, I dont think any of the Big 3 have revealed too much on their line ups for 2012, I could be wrong though?

For me, a few AAA retail exclusives along with the plethroa of fine titles you get on XBLA and PSN along with all the fantastic 3rd party Games should be enough to satify most Gamers out there.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby El Mag » 23 Jan 2012, 12:09

Is it too much to hope for that you've had Rare working on a Conker's 2, Kameo 2 or a Perfect Dark that wasn't just thrown together though Phil?

Phil, stop running.....PHIL!
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Wozzakl » 23 Jan 2012, 12:12

Exclusives are a much rarer beast this gen anyway, not many PS3 ones either.
Wozzakl 54

Postby kirankara » 23 Jan 2012, 12:15

El Mag wrote:Is it too much to hope for that you've had Rare working on a Conker's 2, Kameo 2 or a Perfect Dark that wasn't just thrown together though Phil?

Phil, stop running.....PHIL!

Kameo was underrated IMO. I enjoyed it. Still needed refinement and done more innovative , but was full of promise. Conkers would be cool too, as would a real Banjo and kazooie.

However, i'm with poster who said Ms are obsessed with ramming Kinect down our throats instead.
kirankara 57

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 23 Jan 2012, 12:17

Sony need exclusives to push their failing PS3, Microsoft just doesn't need them for the Xbox 360.

I had both and sold my PS3 recently and I don't regret it one bit. I didn't choose Xbox for Halo, Gears, Fable, or Forza. I chose it for it's controller, interface, Xbox Live, and generally better design. It's also not just a games console to me anymore, I'd buy it for Netflix alone.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 23 Jan 2012, 12:19

and now that Final Fantasy has gone multi-platform the only exclusives I care about are Nintendo's.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby ted1138 » 23 Jan 2012, 12:35

You only need exclusives in the first few years of a consoles life cycle, to establish a strong user base, at this point they're just a waste of money.
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby Gambini » 23 Jan 2012, 12:51

Wozzakl wrote:Exclusives are a much rarer beast this gen anyway, not many PS3 ones either.

What the F*** are you smoking? Oh, I see, you're just trolling... right. As you were then.

I would include the obligatory "List of PS3 Exclusives" here, but I get the feeling I would just be wasting my time with you.
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby starsail » 23 Jan 2012, 12:53

Exclusives are an important key to a healthy industry. Think back to Mario and Sonic of the 16 bit era (if you're old enough - my youth was playing on the commodore 64), and remember this most important fact, were it not for the shining exclusive Mario, we wouldn't have the shining exclusive Sonic. Exclusivity generates competitive business which us gamers can only benifit from. MS are showing a concerning lack of interest in exclusives and this can't be healthy.

If basking in the cash flow from annual online Live matches of Call of Duty is in MS's best interests, kiss goodbye the driving force of quality in quantity from the days of old and bye bye Golden Era of gaming. MS will use Xbox 360 to have a bigger say on games using the platform as they've demonstrated on frustrated indie devs and remember it didn't work out too well for Nintendo with the green blood in Mortal Kombat 1.

We need exclusives such as Halo driving the ever improving quality up on rival exclusives such as Killzone 3 (the best FPS shooter this year). Gears toing it with Uncharted etc. MS can't relex, they need games to counter God of War, Little Big Planet and Metal Gear Solid. I'm not an online gamer (mainly due to actual commitments) but with the PS3 I can get all the best exclusive titles in quantity as well cross platform games. To counter argue the best reason to own a 360 is to get the best versions of cross platform games is silly considering some of the better versions are on PS3 as well (Portal 2, Final Fantasy etc).

For proper hardcore gaming, we need exclusive title's. Sure fanboy arguments stem from these but lets face facts, it's healthy for the industry. For example, look at the shining quality of the exclusive Mario titles today, but look at what has happened to poor old cross platform Sonic. I doubt Sonic would be as horrible as it is if still developed on exclusive hardware rivaling Nintendo.

If MS aren't going to offer exclusive games in quantity then I'm staying put with Sony for the superior offline gaming experience (strike Skyrim from the record lol). Last Guardian here we come!

PS can someone please buy Resistance 3, it's one of the best action survival horrors this generation and a completely different beast from it's 2 older inferior brothers (I was wrong about being unhappy with the removal of the regenerating health, this game throws you fact to the past with medi packs next gen style and is only for the hardcore).

I hope MS have something special planned though, I really do as I'm sick of sounding like a Sony fanboy.
starsail 47

Postby StonecoldMC » 23 Jan 2012, 12:59

The headline and the article are both just asking for trouble, dont fall for the ploy guys, your all better than that :wink: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Next