to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Silicon Knights relishing court battle with Epic

Your comments on our articles.

Looking forward to Gears of War maker's "misconduct finally being aired in the light of day"

Silicon Knights Denis Dyack says the Too Human developer is eagerly anticipating the outcome of its long-running dispute with Epic over Unreal Engine 3 licensing.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Silicon Knights relishing court battle with Epic

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 06 Jan 2012, 13:07

Epics defence is going to be pretty insurmountable really.

'No amount of tweaking to the engine could ever of improved the mismash of ideas that was too human, the problem members of the jury was not the engine. But the laundry list of bad decisions made by Silicon Knights in the execution of gameplay mechanics and control.'

It's a shame really because underneath the clunky controls and the barren slog that was most of the games dungeons there was a solid foundation for a decent series and the reworking of Norse mythology and technology was pretty impressive stuff.

Needless to say it had its flaws but i liked it. However i can definately understand why others didn't.

The fact that Silicon knights last truely decent game was a remake of MGS1 almost a decade ago speaks volumes too.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Re: Silicon Knights relishing court battle with Epic

Postby RichPerry » 06 Jan 2012, 13:19

I was going to say, I don't think the engine was the issue with Too Human...
RichPerry 35

Postby MPH » 06 Jan 2012, 14:27

4 rather massive (main) levels and ridiculous difficulty spikes were the only downsides for me. I remember getting nearly all the way through the ice level without dying... only to come up against a boat load of those Golems/Trolls of differing polarities on a narrow walkway with no way of going back. Cue 200 approx deaths as all of them were aggroed, lengthy death animations and camping of my corpse by said Golems/Trolls. I didn't mind the death animations when it was certainly my fault for dying... but when there was simply no way whatsoever of avoiding death then... meh.
MPH 54

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 06 Jan 2012, 15:13

Hit the nail on the head.

If they had access to Unreal Engine 10, it s**t would have been s**t. Shinier s**t, sure! But still s**t.

Try saying that in a Shaun Connery accent!
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44

Postby liveswired » 08 Jan 2012, 00:08

UNREAL ENGINE IS TRASH - BUT YOU CAN'T BLAME IF FOR PATHETIC GAMEPLAY.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 52

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby Drusus » 08 Jan 2012, 05:38

Dyack's mouth will one day consume Dyack. In a tirade of self love and hate for everything else he'll accidentally chew his own fat face off.

Too Human was awful, awful, awful, clown shoes, awful. A different engine would not have helped it. Scrapping the project giving it to a different studio and allowing them two years to work would've resulted in a good game.

Hell, scrapping it, giving the project to a class of student devs and allowing them a budget of ÂŁ1000 for a years work, would've resulted in a better game.

You reading this Dennis? I know you are, lol.
Drusus 58