to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

CVG's Heroes of 2011

Your comments on our articles.

Join us in celebrating our champions of the year

In just a few hours time we'll be closing the book on 2011. With hopes and dreams in one hand and in all likelihood a strong alcoholic beverage in the other we'll be taking our first precarious steps into the new year. Start as you mean to go on, right?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

CVG's Heroes of 2011

Postby Imaduck » 30 Dec 2011, 16:58

Nice list but to my mind it lacks 343. They remade one of the most beloved FPS ever made. I was sitting watching my 12 year old little bro play a game I played 10 years ago, and having a blast, him realising for the first time WHY Halo was so huge and why no sequel had ever made a dent on the orginal. Then my older brother who also played it on original PC came home for Christmas and spent a day glued to it :lol:

Special present. Thanks 343
Imaduck 58

Re: CVG's Heroes of 2011

Postby Lady Gagagged » 30 Dec 2011, 18:14

No love for Microsoft's Kinect enabled Minesweeper HD?

Nices choices, in all seriousness.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby TheLastDodo » 30 Dec 2011, 19:26

Thank you Grasshopper for Shadows of the Damned. Thank you Valve for Portal 2.
Thank you Rocksteady for Arkham City. Thank you Media Molecule for LBP2.
Thank you Evolution for MS Apocalypse. Thank you Insomniac for Resistance 3.
Thank you Sucker Punch for InFamous 2. Thank you Playdead for Limbo.
Thank you Housemarque for Outland. Thank you Naughty Dog for Uncharted 3.
Thank you Epic/People Can Fly for Bulletstorm. Thank you Bioware for Mass Effect 2.
Thank you IW/Sledgehammer for MW3. Thank you Sega for Sonic Generations.
Thank you Eidos for Deus Ex HR. Thank you Volition for Saints Row The Third.
Thank you Avalanche for Renegade Ops. Thank you Ubisoft for From Dust.
Thank you Q Entertainment for Child of Eden.

F**k you Bethesda for Skyrim.

Celebrate an experienced developer for releasing a broken product? Good one CVG.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby koimaster » 31 Dec 2011, 03:27

^ lol
koimaster 35

Postby wishface » 31 Dec 2011, 14:07

True though, skyrim is broken and buggy to the point of absurdity.
wishface 41

Postby wishface » 31 Dec 2011, 14:30

What a poor list.

IW are heroes? In an article that wants to praise originality by not shoehorning in multiplayer components for example, you priase IW for taking Activisions coin to do precisely what? Another wretched broken copy and paste job for the 3rd game in a row? No originality, a 5 hour campaign, appalling map design, and a half hearted reskin of MW2 - with the same graphics.
Duke Nukem Forever fell flat on its face and quite rightly. How does that deserve praise? A game delayed by a decade that came out as a steaming turd.
W.R.O.N.G? Yeah, great idea - for the most part (some games really do deserve the criticism) except it has made precisely zero difference and had zero impact. I suspect a lot of people have a lot invested in the status quo, on both sides.
Dark Souls? Challenging? Yes it's a difficult game. But not because it's challenging. Instead it's the most poorly designed frustrating experience i've seen in a long time. A game intended to appeal to the most hardened of nerd attitudes that it makes a total mockery of everything gaming has worked to achieve in gaingin credibility. it's not difficult, it's tedious. It's not rewarding - except in that it's rewarding to stop being smacked in the balls repeatedly kind of way. Frustration doesn't equal fun and the game's totally esoteric approach, lack of explanation, deliberate frustration just made it tedious and boring. I cannot justify the existence of any game in that way.
No heroes there.

Then we come to Skyrim...in a year dominated by corporate greed and s**t game design this was destined to stand out. It's not a bad game, but it certainly doesn't succeed. It's just a big game. None of it's elements are particularly well conceived. It has a lot of inexcusable technical problems as well as some horrendous balance misfires. It looks good, but the voice acting is dire and the plot/setting are just meh. It wants to be taken seriously as a fantasy setting with Tolkienesque language/phrases (bosmer, dovahkin, etc), but it comes off as facile. The range of opponents is deeply limited as well: druagh, bandits, mages, spiders, and of course dragons. The dragons sum up the game: impressive looking, but tedious to fight.
wishface 41

Postby TheLastDodo » 31 Dec 2011, 14:36

Criticising Skyrim AND Dark Souls on the internet? You must have a deathwish :lol:.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby wishface » 31 Dec 2011, 19:00

people would be a lot more critical of Skyrim had the rest of the year not been such a disappointment.

DS is just not a game experience i consider enjoyable. it has nothing to do with difficulty despite what all the masochists think.
wishface 41

Postby Lady Gagagged » 31 Dec 2011, 20:22

@WF I agree with all of your points apart from Duke Nukem. CnVG weren't celebrating the game but a group of devs, fans of the series, for having the brass to finish and release the game just to get it out there. So many potentially great games get me stoked then disappear, Sadness for the Wii anyone? DN turned out to be average at best but at least they took the risk. That should be applauded.

Skyrim deserves nothing but scorn, from the PS3 fiasco, to the largely unreported problem on the 360 and attempts to hinder the PC modding community. What a way to say f**k you to supporters of a series.
Lady Gagagged 66

Postby wishface » 31 Dec 2011, 21:00

Lady Gagagged wrote:@WF I agree with all of your points apart from Duke Nukem. CnVG weren't celebrating the game but a group of devs, fans of the series, for having the brass to finish and release the game just to get it out there. So many potentially great games get me stoked then disappear, Sadness for the Wii anyone? DN turned out to be average at best but at least they took the risk. That should be applauded.

Skyrim deserves nothing but scorn, from the PS3 fiasco, to the largely unreported problem on the 360 and attempts to hinder the PC modding community. What a way to say f**k you to supporters of a series.

That last sums up the entire year as far as I'm concerned, just look at how Capcom treated MvC3 fans. Appalling. They should go out of business for that (and not blame it on the tsunami either!).
I'm not sure of a largely unreported problem on the 360, but the entire thieves guyild questline didn't work at all. It's sloppy overall with gameplay mechanisms that stick two fingers up at the progress you make improving your character. Total lack of variety in the gameplay as well.
Should they be applaued for releasing DNF? I'm not entirely sure. If they can't get it right after ten years I don't think respect is the word.
Unfortunately the gaming media is too afraid to criticise the industry for fear of biting the hand that feeds, but it's players that suffer.
wishface 41

Postby Lady Gagagged » 31 Dec 2011, 22:15

DNF could have been built from the ground up and never satisfied. Let's be honest here its cult following is not due to the original being a great game, but the juvenile treatment of humour. But to put your own money and reputations on the line, can you not see why that is applaudable?
Lady Gagagged 66

Postby wishface » 31 Dec 2011, 23:41

Not necessarily. They no more put their money on the line any more than anyone else (though not this year, but omission of decent competition doesn't justify this decision IMO).

Frankly, as an xbox gamer (can't speak for pc or 3), I think it's the beginning of the end. This has been cemented in my view by that godawful new dashboard. The whole thing has sunk into a mire of corporate greed and that's where console gaming is headed: it's been a year of lazy game design, outright lies from publishers (MK's broken online mode was never fixed despite the repeated promises, even before hand, about not only how great it was going to be, but how it was going to get fixed), and of course the ever popular online pass code debacle. With next to nothing on the horizon (ME3 is hobbled with a pointless online coop mode, SC5 will be unplayable online like every other fighter) and who knows how long until the next overpriced console generation, I don't see a future that interests me for the 360 at all. I'm sure fans of CoD will have something to look forward to as they throw their money down the toilet that is Elite. That and any other number of tedious sequels and overpriced cack that the magazines will bust a nut over. My only regret is that I can't afford a gaming pc, because I'd much rather go back to WoW than play games as flawed and buggy as Skyrim (that and I still reaaaaally want to play Dawn of War 2!)
wishface 41

Postby gypsygib » 02 Jan 2012, 19:28

Thank you SP devs!!!!

And by that I don't mean developers of 'SP campaign', those are more often just tech demos or worse.
gypsygib 24