to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Kinect is the future of Xbox. Fact

Your comments on our articles.

PSM3's Andy Hartup says we're barely scratching the surface of the revolutionary tech

Kinect is the biggest, most important thing to happen to gaming consoles.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Kinect is the future of Xbox. Fact

Postby Zanasea » 29 Dec 2011, 12:28

Sad future.
Zanasea 24

Re: Kinect is the future of Xbox. Fact

Postby JBoo » 29 Dec 2011, 12:38

LOL
JBoo 31

Postby djreplay » 29 Dec 2011, 13:15

It's a good crack for boxing day with the family but not much good for anything else. As for it eventually projecting stuff around the living room, it will still be far easier with a controller.
djreplay 57

Xbox Live: u crazy fools
PSN ID: djreplay

Postby bamozzy » 29 Dec 2011, 13:38

At the moment, I feel kinect is still in its infancy but can see the incredible potential of it. Games like Dance Central 2 show why it is so much better than any other option as it tracks the whole body. Games of this nature on other consoles only track the position of the remote and therefore can be played sat down and only require you to move the remote in certain directions at the right time - I know this defeats the object but it is possible due to the hardware. At least with kinect you have to move your whole body and therefore so much better for this type of game.

Unfortunately there are still not that many 'good' games for Kinect and I am still waiting to see a Quality release that utilises the hardware but they are getting better. Voice commands are OK but not great if there is a bit of background noise - something I think would need to be worked on. I don't see Kinect replacing a controller in certain games either, I don't know how it would work in games like MW3 and BF3 for example.

Maybe 2012 will show us a little more on how the future of Kinect will shape up.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 66

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby ricflair » 29 Dec 2011, 13:47

Right now I just don't think it works well enough, but I wouldn't be as closed minded to say that in the future, and it may be ten years or more in to the future, this kind of tech could be amazing, if it's accurate enough.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby gmcb007 » 29 Dec 2011, 14:05

It is the start of controller free monitors and such but we'll have to see how it pans out in gaming.

BTW, did anyone see the second episode of Black Mirror? Every TV and game in that was controlled by a kinect like device. I'd say thats where we'll be in 20 years in visual technology.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby voodoo341 » 29 Dec 2011, 14:07

It's always 'in the future' with Kinect.
voodoo341 75

Postby alan666 » 29 Dec 2011, 15:25

its the first proper motion interface out in the real world, that is cheap enough for normal people to buy, of course it's not going to be perfect, its the same for everything, it will get better & MS & the developers will learn from Kinect & make "stuff" better for the next version, in a way MS are just putting Kinect out in the field to test it, gain feedback etc, i think a lot of the development will be fed back from the PC area because people involved with robotics, university people & other tech boffins are all playing about with it.

i have had one since release & i do like it, ok i do not use it as much as i wish i could but thats down to the games, the games i do have work pretty well with it, i haven't had any real problems since i have had it, the only ones i have had have been down to me, i got a bigger TV recently & as i have taught the Kinect (since having it) with setting it up & updating it every couple of weeks to calibrate it, i have had to start over again because the Kinect is now in a different position, but i will just keep on at it, this is i think where most people have problems with it, as they set it up once & then just leave it, but you have to calibrate it in different lights etc.

hate how people who don't have a Kinect moan about how rubbish it is blah blah etc.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby MrPirtniw » 29 Dec 2011, 16:19

alan666 wrote: hate how people who don't have a Kinect moan about how rubbish it is blah blah etc.

That's because rival games companies have told them what to think. And why not? It's not like they have an opinion of their own.
I think my Kinect is going to be getting some extra use in 2012- I may have over indulged over Christmas. God damn trifle. Why must you be so delicious!?
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby fionn1 » 30 Dec 2011, 21:09

MrPirtniw wrote:
alan666 wrote: hate how people who don't have a Kinect moan about how rubbish it is blah blah etc.

That's because rival games companies have told them what to think. And why not? It's not like they have an opinion of their own.
I think my Kinect is going to be getting some extra use in 2012- I may have over indulged over Christmas. God damn trifle. Why must you be so delicious!?

I think its because of the unique combo of jelly cream custard and booze and sponge....whoever thunk it up needs having a word with and having their hand shook at the sametime...in the words of woody "you delicious spongy bastard" :lol:
fionn1 45

Xbox Live: Breenington

Postby fyro11 » 01 Jan 2012, 17:57

Call me back when it can play every game genre as seamlessly as controllers can.

Ah dammit, who am I kidding... my dissertation's on the damn tech.

But point still stands.
fyro11 25

Postby sonic_uk » 02 Jan 2012, 15:34

It is obvious by now that Kinect is Microsofts future...which is exactly why I plan on buying Sony's next console first time round next gen, because even though they have Move at least they see it for what it is - an option and nothing more. Microsoft on the other hand use every available opportunity to push this piece of garbage down my throat, a piece of garbage I have zero interest in, didn't want and didn't ask for. Gaming is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, and it is using a mouse and keyboard or a pad. Even the Wii pointer can be used sitting/lying down comfortably and most Wii games have the option of using a normal controller. Kinect on the other hand is a piece of excrement that only serves as a magnet for shovelware and further alienates the very people who got Microsoft to where they are today - core gamers such as myself who bought a 360 to play core games. I have bought Microsoft console as my primary machine for the past two generations. Seeing where their loyalties now lie I wont be making that mistake again (and its worth noting if Sony pull the same stunt next gen I'll be sticking to my PC instead).

Sorry for the rant but I really had to get that off my chest.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby MrPirtniw » 02 Jan 2012, 21:47

sonic_uk wrote:Gaming is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

I wouldnt say gaming HAS to be relaxing- it can be anything as long as its fun. I've had a laugh with some of the Kinect games- granted they've hardly been hardcore titles but then I'll play anything as long it's fun. I'm a game whore. A dirty great game whore.
I've found the voice/gesture dashboard stuff pretty damn cool- should make the combat in Mass Effect 3 better too, but seriously, where the hell is that Panzer Dragoon-esque game??
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby sonic_uk » 04 Jan 2012, 19:53

MrPirtniw wrote:
sonic_uk wrote:Gaming is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

I wouldnt say gaming HAS to be relaxing- it can be anything as long as its fun. I've had a laugh with some of the Kinect games- granted they've hardly been hardcore titles but then I'll play anything as long it's fun. I'm a game whore. A dirty great game whore.
I've found the voice/gesture dashboard stuff pretty damn cool- should make the combat in Mass Effect 3 better too, but seriously, where the hell is that Panzer Dragoon-esque game??

I can see what you're saying there friend, but consider the popular sports titles. A lot of people I know who play them do so because a)they're rubbish at real sport! and b)because its relaxing and you don't have to excert much energy or get dirty/sweaty or end up with damaged bones/body parts (!).

As far as the voice controls go, that's all well and good, but in my experience with them so far they are unresponsive for the most part and it is also quite impractical when everyone else in the house has gone to bed and you've got headphones on so not to disturb other people.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby bamozzy » 05 Jan 2012, 11:26

I don't know why everyone is being so negative towards the Kinect. On games like Dance Central 2, Your Shape, etc it is absolutely the best way to use kinect and the reason why it is so much better than Move and Wii as it shows up their limitations. The Kinect tracks the whole body and determines if you are making the right moves (feet, body arms head etc all need to be in the right place) not just where a controller is. I also have a Wii and my daughters wanted to get a Wii for dance and fitness games until they tried Kinect. Now they want Kinect as it is so much better!! Also it was very entertaining watching them play and the videos of them afterwards were very funny and we ALL had a lot of fun.

I don't think anyone expects Kinect to replace the controller totally as certain games would not work. In the same way no-one expects PS Move to be the only option for PS owners. Kinect gets better and better and more responsive the more times you go through the set-up (especially if you do it in different lighting conditions too). You don't set it up once and forget about it! I am not saying it perfect or that the games for it are the best ever but they are improving all the time. Graphics are also getting better on Kinect games as they are moving away from cartoon style too. Game like 'Ryse' for example look quite impressive. Also Forza 4 can be played totally by Kinect and that is one of the best (if not the best) looking racer around - although I still prefer to race using a controller, it is still an option.

As we can see from the new dashboard, Kinect works well and is so much easier than using a controller. You can use voice commands, hand gestures or the controller (voice is the quickest way to navigate) but it is NOT kinect only. Games (like ME3) that will use the voice commands can also use the controller to do the same action so if you are worried about playing late at night and disturbing others, you use the controller instead.

It adds a lot to gaming (and also to the xbox itself) and will only get better. I don't agree with Microsoft focussing solely on Kinect though and hope that they continue to work on other exclusives too but it has meant that kinect and kinect games have improved. Developers seem to be getting better at utilising some of its incredible potential. Cost isn't that extortionate either £130 (RRP) is not a lot compared to other options (Wii motes and nunchucks for two people, PS Move for two people (not including any additional attachments) - I say two people as that's the amount of people that Kinect can track. Although if bought in a bundle it makes even more economic sense.

I would recommend Kinect if you are a gamer but not if you are just a CoD, BF3 player
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 66

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne