to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

There's too much choice. It's killing games

Your comments on our articles.

Richard Cobbett complains about choice and says humbug to the lot of it...

Cristmas is a time for games. Lots of games. It's the point in the year where the steady patter of new boxes hitting shelves turns into a hammering sleet of high-profile sequels and gun-waving action heroes.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

There's too much choice. It's killing games

Postby altitude2k » 28 Dec 2011, 12:48

Two words. LoveFilm.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Re: There's too much choice. It's killing games

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 28 Dec 2011, 13:59

Totally agree with this article. I'm currently playing 3 games, got 6 new ones on the shelf and have 7 waiting to be bought. I'm playing fallout new Vegas and I've been doing everything on it but only done 31hrs so far but because of the back log I'm trying to quickly rush through it. This will be the same for the other games, I'm going to pretty much speed run them all.

But this is a good thing IMO. Most of the games I've bought out of the last 10 have all been a Tenner and patched up. It also means I don't have to worry about getting ripped off like the people who bought Skyim for the PS3 because Bethesda forgot to tell them that they couldn't be bothered to finish it.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Balladeer » 28 Dec 2011, 14:28

Not sure I've ever bothered playing games "properly", but then I'm a generally impatient person. But there are definitely too many games released in the Christmas run-up and not enough time to enjoy them. The hype surrounding a new release, thwarted though it may later be, is all part of playing the game, and you just can't do that if you have to save some money because you can't buy all the games you want now.

I can quote from personal experience. I've just got Mario Kart 7 and it's fantastic, but all the discussion in the NGamer fora has died orf because it was released a while ago and, seemingly, nobody else got it for Christmas.
Balladeer 78

Postby gmcb007 » 28 Dec 2011, 15:06

What I didn't like about this winter was that most of the games are sequels that didn't really strike me as something I must play. Then we had the media whoring out constant drivel of childish fighting between the two big FPS publishers (well mostly EA). There wasn't that much choice if you didn't fancy shooting to be honest.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby dav1ek » 28 Dec 2011, 16:39

most gamers these days are young adults with jobs earning cash so games are easily attainable and its easy to build up a backlog of games, but most kids aged 10 to 16 years old only get a few games as gifts on special occassions therefore they appreciate their games a lot more, i remember getting tomb raider and spending nearly 3 months trying to finish it which seemed like ages, the same goes for the ps one final fantasy's and even resident evil which took me no more than 7 hours to finish but seemed to last months. When I was younger I appreciated games a whole lot more but as I get older I am constantly chasing the buzz but as I can afford more games I barely pay attention as I play through most games (batman, uncharted) and because of this I'm desensitising myself from the awesomeness of gaming.. the only game in the last year I'v played that i never wanted to end and was depressed when it did was dark souls. I agree there are too many games but only if you can afford to buy them.
dav1ek 3
New user

Postby stealth » 28 Dec 2011, 17:44

"Next year, the pressure will balloon. Both Sony and Microsoft are gearing up for PC-style free-to-play gaming"

FALSE

"while our phones belch evermore polished games at pocket-money prices. The instant transactions of digital distribution and streaming will also become more established, meaning new games at the prod of a button."

Even falser. Phones produce nothing but non polished games. There isnt a single original one. And is a worse gaming option than the original gameboy
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 28 Dec 2011, 17:46

Games also have less value than ever before/

60 hours of game is a chore? How about thats value

I dont feel like being ripped off by a s**tty 10 hour story.

Which is why skyrim is worth more than most games on that alone
stealth 47

Postby wuntuwuntu » 28 Dec 2011, 21:30

I agree to some extent but am very happy for the choice of great games. I remember a time when I would be waiting for the next great game to come out and just be replaying games I had to complete them on the highest difficulty and finding all the secrets and stuff. I think the DLC for games will become pointless. If there are so many games on the market who can be bothered to wait and add things to a game you hardly play anymore to extend its lifespan. Also I am happy for the variety in my collection because sometimes I wanna play Fifa or COD or SSIV online. Then I have 1 or 2 single player games like Skyrim or Batman AC or Uncharted 3 that suit a different a mood. All those games are generically different and serve my moods for that gaming fix. Its no bad thing to have this much choice as especially with the single player games you can wait and play them later, you don't have to pick them up day 1 and they will invariably be cheaper.
wuntuwuntu 37

Postby stealth » 28 Dec 2011, 21:54

@wuntuwuntu

This year has been one of the worst ever in terms of generic games.

All the games you mentioned prove the end of originality is here
stealth 47

Postby The Bossman » 29 Dec 2011, 02:57

stealth wrote:@wuntuwuntu

Really? I don't understand how you can say that. Most big brand sequels are out every year, doesn't mean you have to get annoyed or angry by them. We all have a choice in what we play or don't play. Let's list some of these generic games then.

LittleBigPlanet 2
Dead Space 2
Killzone 3
Homefront
Okamiden
Crysis 2
Portal 2
LA Noire
Infamous 2
Shadows Of The Damned
From Dust
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Resistance 3
Child Of Eden
Dark Souls
Rage
Batman Arkham City
Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception
Skyrim
Assassins Creed Revelations
Saints Row The Third

Those 21 games came out this year, you should be grateful you got half of those to chose from. Yes there's lots of sequels there but they're doing new things with each new game, I didn't mention FIFA or COD because they're recycled, the ones I mentioned up there are all worth playing. You're probably burnt out on COD, that's why you're moaning. Shut up and try those choices instead.
The Bossman 47

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 29 Dec 2011, 14:12

stealth wrote:@wuntuwuntu

There's no such thing as originality in the entertainment industry. The big guys who have most influence in the industry just give more of the same to those who have bought the same ideas over and over.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby TheLastDodo » 29 Dec 2011, 15:01

and the little guys that do create something original are always "influenced" by something that came before so might aswell get out of gaming now if you only look for originality in your games.
TheLastDodo 77