7 biggest GTA 5 rumors analysed

Your comments on our articles.

With internet 'leaks' rampant, we assess the seven biggest GTAV rumours to sort fact from fiction...

GTAV is rumoured to be a four-player co-op RPG with a full-scale weapon crafting system.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

7 biggest GTA 5 rumors analysed

Postby alan666 » 27 Dec 2011, 13:57

if this is to be more predominantly multi-player then it's going to be rubbish, because all you get in multi-player games like this is idiots running about shooting people :roll:

don't really like the emphasis on the RPG element either, GTA-SA there was just enough, this though sounds more like it's going down the Saints Row way :roll:
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Re: 7 biggest GTA 5 rumors analysed

Postby DemonGhostPirate » 27 Dec 2011, 15:28

Just re-watched the trailer and noticed how often that black character crops up throughout. I also noticed that whenever he does crop up, his face is hidden or covered (almost as if Rockstar are trying to cover his identity up), except from the part where he is shown running. This is especially noticeable when he is shown walking down the street from afar and then the camera changes to a view of him zoomed in, conveniently missing out his head entirely. Coincidence? I think not! :)

I have no doubt that there will be multiple characters to play as in the game and I would like to think that the character is CJ because they do look very similar in comparison to each other. However, we obviously have no way of knowing until more is shown of the game. Hopefully this multiple character thing, if it turns out to be true, could make the narrative a bit more interesting and complex and less of the usual 'rags to riches' storyline.
DemonGhostPirate 12

Postby Spectre » 27 Dec 2011, 16:09

If GTAV takes place in the same continuity as IV, then CJ, Tommy and Claude will not be present.

GTAIV took place in a separate universe from the previous games, meaning that all of the previous protagonists never existed.
Spectre 9

Postby plain_kloz_cop » 27 Dec 2011, 18:43

As long as they have Segways, I'm sold. Imagine a low-speed police chase on one of those bad boys!
plain_kloz_cop 48

Postby Sammy_bham » 27 Dec 2011, 21:09

alan666 wrote:if this is to be more predominantly multi-player then it's going to be rubbish, because all you get in multi-player games like this is idiots running about shooting people :roll:

don't really like the emphasis on the RPG element either, GTA-SA there was just enough, this though sounds more like it's going down the Saints Row way :roll:

this...

i can see it selling "less" if it focuses on multiplayer.

the main enjoyment is the singleplayer element of it. multiplayer was a fun little add on, making it mainly co-op will suck balls.
"Life is a negotiation... we all WANT. So we give, to get what we want..." - Mordin Solus
Sammy_bham 38

Xbox Live: bale1986
PSN ID: sam4sonia

Postby jm3811 » 27 Dec 2011, 22:46

I found the story to be quite decent in GTA4 although the missions were very average. What made the game so popular was the coop missions: everybody was asking for help to get the "Fly the Coop" trophy and all three challenges were nicely designed.

Now for the RPG bit: as long as it's about team death match with rocket-propelled grenade on the airport that sounds good to me. I'm not going back to the gym tho.
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby Cogglesz » 28 Dec 2011, 11:38

So far Rockstar is one of the developers i trust most when it comes to delivering an epic game, i know gta iv wasn't so popular compared to previous series but i thought it was great being a realistic like game showing what they could do with the new console at the time, and the multiplayer with friends was so fun, so i'm not worried about any multiplayer aspect or anything, they wont screw it up.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby jm3811 » 28 Dec 2011, 19:23

I remember that when GTA4 was released the Shockwave was still in Sony's drawers and I simply waited a few months to play it. GTA without the rumble you got to be kidding.
You'll Love It: It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47.
jm3811 37

Postby The Bossman » 29 Dec 2011, 02:38

Multiple characters could be a superb addition to the game, think about The Wire and how that focused typically on 2 very different communities - the police and the criminals, with everyone else in between. That was multi-tiered and hugely interesting and entertaining to watch. So long as it doesn't go down the route of COD with forgettable playable characters, it'll probably be the best addition to the game if true. I just hope that they don't include too many OTT missions, the storyline is what sets it apart from other crap copycats like Saints Row.
The Bossman 47

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby Welsh Jester » 29 Dec 2011, 03:58

They need to use Steam this time, i hear LA noire uses it which is a good sign for GTA V as GFWL is ass.. GTA V (if it has great mp for once) needs to have VAC at least.

Most stuff in SA was awesome so glad if they bring back the keeping fit elements in and expanding it, add it to online modes and allow a high amount of players online to do anything you can do in single player and more.

if it has as many options and potential as SA-MP i will praise R* highly, oh and it needs to be fun.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby Welsh Jester » 29 Dec 2011, 04:37

Sammy_bham wrote:
alan666 wrote:if this is to be more predominantly multi-player then it's going to be rubbish, because all you get in multi-player games like this is idiots running about shooting people :roll:

this...

i can see it selling "less" if it focuses on multiplayer.

the main enjoyment is the singleplayer element of it. multiplayer was a fun little add on, making it mainly co-op will suck balls.

Wrong, SAMP shows tons of players want a great online experience with GTA if done right.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 29 Dec 2011, 14:04

1. Wouldn't mind playing as an older character who actually has it all to begin with. Maybe lose it through illegal/legal (criminal/economy) means and have him rebuild his empire or something. Would be a change from having to start with nothing.

2. As long as the setting is varied, I wouldn't mind it just being set in the one city with surrounding countryside/desert/w.e. Hopefully it just doesn't have sections that look a little too similar to GTA IV like that first trailer seems to show. Oh and make it different enough from the original Los Santos like Liberty City was from III to IV. Just seems odd they have "San Andreas" advertised everywhere in that trailer if they're only going to have the one city. Geography wise that isn't odd but this is gaming so it sets a lot of minds go off on wild imagination.

3. GTA IV gameplay was pretty solid with just a few niggles in combat. The odd car like steering of Niko when walking should have been fixed up and so should have the weird loosely stiff movement. Car control was perfect for me and felt on the right balance of arcade and realistic. Bikes were all over the place though. I imagine the gameplay will remain loosely the same with a few control changes and those niggles removed or ironed out.

4. If it becomes clear that the game is pushing towards multiplayer with the focus, count me out. I think though that the online and offline balance will be kept the same way that IV and Red Dead's was by having multiplayer take place in the single player setting.

5. No, no, no. Multiple protagonists screams lazier story imo. Why make one unoriginal story for one character when you can stretch it out between more than one? Those repeated appearances of those characters in the trailer could easily mean a character within the story, not necessarily the main character, or it could easily be a repeated skin from an npc.

6. Nope. Rockstar said GTA IV was all part of a new canon involving all new characters and would see no cameos or reappearances of old canon GTA, other than Lazlow of course. The hobo looks far too older for Niko, the black guy just looks like a black guy and is not CJ.

7. Would love those RPG parts to make a return, they added a lot of replay value and personal customisation options for San Andreas and in V would make IV's repetition almost go away. They could even allow multiple outcomes and co-occurrences to happen much like San Andreas (brother calling to tell you to lose weight, The Truth refusing you a mission until you lose weight, climbing ability made harder) Bring it on.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby dookiephonic » 29 Dec 2011, 15:57

Looks like CJ, are you CVG, doesn't every coloured chap look like Lenny Henry? :lol:
dookiephonic 55

Postby themadsaint » 30 Dec 2011, 18:48

As long as its better than the last i'll be happy.
themadsaint 31

Xbox Live: The Mad Saint

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 30 Dec 2011, 22:41

As long as its San Andreas HD but better then I'm happy. SA is true classic. Would love a GTA HD collection. They would need to be from the original Xbox versions though as the graphics were really good especially Vice City which looks fantastic.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Next