to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

CVG Poll: Superhero movie of the year

Your comments on our articles.

Don your mask, cape and let us know

Superhero movies, one of our preferred ways to expend an idle hour or two, your second favourite thing to do apparently (after gaming mind, keep it clean) and the subject of today's CVG random spot poll.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

CVG Poll: Superhero movie of the year

Postby Skarfester » 13 Dec 2011, 15:24

Its a shame Green Lantern was such a flop, that character and universe has so much potential since Geoff Johns rebooot, he's added so much depth to that universe that a GL film done right could be one of the best movies ever made. The problem with the film was it got so many of the things right it was such a crushing dissapointment how bad the acting and plot were that fans couldnt look past them and see how right they got the visual style and effects.
Skarfester 34

Re: CVG Poll: Superhero movie of the year

Postby Johnh420 » 13 Dec 2011, 15:32

Gotta agree with you Skarfester - great looks and a good feel to the GL universe - just god awful acting... couldn't summon up the energy to give a toss about Ryan Reynold's Hal Jordan.

X-Men: First Class on the other hand which I came to with quite low expectations was a delight. Meaty superhero component, great FX but most importantly of all a coherent plot and some proper depth to the characters...

See Hollywood, it can be done...
My first novel [url]http://amzn.to/qvQ8XN[/url]
Johnh420 99

Postby ensabahnur » 13 Dec 2011, 15:49

Johnh420 wrote:Gotta agree with you Skarfester - great looks and a good feel to the GL universe - just god awful acting... couldn't summon up the energy to give a toss about Ryan Reynold's Hal Jordan.

X-Men: First Class on the other hand which I came to with quite low expectations was a delight. Meaty superhero component, great FX but most importantly of all a coherent plot and some proper depth to the characters...

See Hollywood, it can be done...
I'd agree on First Class being the best movie in the list but the depth to the characters was only featured on Prof X, Magneto and Mystique. All the others were kinda just laid out in that scene at the base, maybe barring Beast. Oh and bring back Rebecca Romjin as Mystique, Jennifer Lawrence was good but nowhere near as sexy as the one from the original trilogy.

The 60's setting just suited this movie and could be the only reason for the crazy fashion sense Magneto sported at the end.

Still high hopes for a sequel with a decent baddie, maybe even Mr Sinister with flashbacks showing Shaw as his pupil. I wouldn't go with Maggers being the main big bad this time, have them team up a few times first. Having them as mortal enemies in the second flick would kinda ruin the friendship they had in the first film.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 13 Dec 2011, 15:58

I've been staying away from all of these actually as they all have that cool but overall shallow summer blockbuster vibe about them. Just have to look at the Avengers trailer to see that. It may not be a superhero movie per se but I've been keeping an eye on Boy Wonder and it sounds more like my cup of tea. Could be absolute crap for all I know though.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby c97dem » 13 Dec 2011, 17:28

Slight issue with the poll, why is Iron Man 2 listed as superhero movie of 2011, when it came out at cinema and on DVD in 2010? :?

Have I missed something there?
c97dem 55

Xbox Live: magic mugs
PSN ID: chenzee
Steam: thenephilim79

Postby c97dem » 13 Dec 2011, 17:39

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I've been staying away from all of these actually as they all have that cool but overall shallow summer blockbuster vibe about them. Just have to look at the Avengers trailer to see that. It may not be a superhero movie per se but I've been keeping an eye on Boy Wonder and it sounds more like my cup of tea. Could be absolute crap for all I know though.

Should try Super, brilliant black comedy, would never class it as a super hero movie though, more of someone going nuts and trying to be a hero...albeit a rubbish one :-)
c97dem 55

Xbox Live: magic mugs
PSN ID: chenzee
Steam: thenephilim79

Postby Black Mantis » 13 Dec 2011, 17:39

Yet to see Super from that list, but X-Men was awesome. I had seriously low expectations and it ended up being one of my favourite movies all year.
Black Mantis 67

Postby damoxuk » 13 Dec 2011, 17:45

Super was best on that list by far. A more extreme Kick-Ass. Ultra violent and quirky.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby Sammy_bham » 13 Dec 2011, 18:10

was gonna say

theres a few films there that were out in 2010..

sort it out cvg...
"Life is a negotiation... we all WANT. So we give, to get what we want..." - Mordin Solus
Sammy_bham 38

Xbox Live: bale1986
PSN ID: sam4sonia

Postby mogel94 » 13 Dec 2011, 18:16

One of these is unlike the other......................

Its Iron Man 2 btw, totally didn't come out this year
mogel94 43

Xbox Live: SoggySage
PSN ID: Iski94I

Postby Skarfester » 13 Dec 2011, 18:31

I should probably have actually said that i did indeed enjoy First class, Thor and Cap. They were by no means oscar worthy masterpeices but they all did a great job of establishing those characters and the marvel universe for the avengers which i cant wait for. Between the dark knight rises, amazing spider-man and the avengers 2012 is gonna be one seriously kick ass year to be a comics fan.
Skarfester 34

Postby sevvybgoode » 13 Dec 2011, 19:32

Super was by far and away my favourite of these movies mentioned. As mentioned it's not really a supes movie but more akin to the decentish kickass.

Speaking of kick ass if anyone has read volume 2 so far id love to see how that translates. The original arc was relatively close in a lot of ways but there is no way in hell that 2 can be transferred without huge changes. Just red mists name change would up it to an 18 let alone his spree in #4.

Slightly veering back to topic what would everyone choose as the next big franchise to be given the silver screen treatment?

I'd go for a Joseph Gordon levitt invincible or the boys with possibly ray winstone as butcher... (Simon Pegg as wee hughie is a cert eh?)
There were 11000 gun related homicides in America in 2008, Japan had 6 gun related deaths in the same year. Does anyone know if they play videogames in Japan?
sevvybgoode 53

Xbox Live: sevvy b goode
PSN ID: Sevvybgoode

Postby Lady Gagagged » 13 Dec 2011, 19:40

Rise of the Apes should be in the poll. But of the choices it has to be X-Men. It was staggeringly brilliant.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby TheCleip » 13 Dec 2011, 19:43

Uncharted 3
TheCleip 26

Postby mogel94 » 13 Dec 2011, 21:02

Lady Gagagged wrote:Rise of the Apes should be in the poll. But of the choices it has to be X-Men. It was staggeringly brilliant.

That would be a great idea if ROTPOTA was actually a Superhero movie............
mogel94 43

Xbox Live: SoggySage
PSN ID: Iski94I

Next