to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Halo 4: Why the trilogy ends on next-gen

Your comments on our articles.

Michael Gapper makes the case for why it's Microsoft's own Star Wars...

Halo 4 will bring Master Chief back from the dead, see Cortana start to lose the plot, and feature alien worlds the likes of which you've never seen on any console ever - where bitter wars between the Covenant and humanity are still raging.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby AvatarIII » 02 Dec 2011, 12:17

Halo 4.... Trilogy does not compute.

PSN ID: AvatarIII
Steam: AvatarIII

Postby MrPirtniw » 02 Dec 2011, 12:19

I. Can. Not. Wait!

Playing Anniversary has got me pumped for more Halo goodness and what's been said in the article sounds like 343 know exactly what they're doing. Awesome.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Re: Halo 4: Why the trilogy ends on next-gen

Postby StonecoldMC » 02 Dec 2011, 12:29

I said it in another thread already.

Replaying Halo: CE made me realise that it realy is all about The Chief!

Reach and ODST were fine Games in their own right, but stepping back into the shoes of John 117 is what its all about, and the more that Frank and the guys over at 343 talk about what there doing within the Halo universe just makes me know that its going to be a Stonker!!!

As MrPirtniw says: I. Can. Not. Wait!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Eidderf » 02 Dec 2011, 12:33

I don't think the covenant will play that big of a part in 4, I think the whole new trilogy thing will mean the rise of a new enemy, especially if it all takes place inside that crazy forerunner planet where it wouldn't make much sense for the little alien guys to be hanging around.

At least I hope so, fighting the same handful of enemy types has got a little boring by this point even if I'm a big fan of series in general.
Eidderf 38

Postby Flamestrike » 02 Dec 2011, 12:52

Yawn.
Flamestrike 35

Postby StonecoldMC » 02 Dec 2011, 12:54

Flamestrike wrote:Yawn.

Thanks for the input.

Please do digress.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Black Mantis » 02 Dec 2011, 13:02

Reading this (and Halo Cryptum) has got me 100% convinced that Microsoft have done the right thing in giving the franchise to Frankie/343 Industries. Can't wait to find out about the other "stops" MC made before reaching Sigma 7...
Black Mantis 67

Postby Black Mantis » 02 Dec 2011, 13:05

AvatarIII wrote:Halo 4.... Trilogy does not compute.

You have to think of it as a new chapter in MC's story. The original trilogy were about stopping The Covenant/Flood, Halo 4 will kick-start the fight against a new threat (The Didact/Prisoner).
Black Mantis 67

Postby Flamestrike » 02 Dec 2011, 13:12

StonecoldMC wrote:
Flamestrike wrote:Yawn.

Thanks for the input.

Please do digress.

CE was excellent but the series has become more and more tiresome with each passing episode with equally as tiresome fanboys trying to make out the series is the greatest franchise on earth.
Flamestrike 35

Postby AvatarIII » 02 Dec 2011, 13:17

Black Mantis wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:Halo 4.... Trilogy does not compute.

You have to think of it as a new chapter in MC's story. The original trilogy were about stopping The Covenant/Flood, Halo 4 will kick-start the fight against a new threat (The Didact/Prisoner).

That makes sense.

PSN ID: AvatarIII
Steam: AvatarIII

Postby ste hicky » 02 Dec 2011, 13:22

fans of the series would be well served reading cryptum by greg bear.

i'm expecting the didact and the precursors to show up in halo 4.

anyone else think the mk.V armour is a bit too isaac clarke?
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
ste hicky 64

Postby Buddha » 02 Dec 2011, 16:46

Flamestrike wrote:
CE was excellent but the series has become more and more tiresome with each passing episode with equally as tiresome fanboys trying to make out the series is the greatest franchise on earth.

Hush, you‘ll upset Pirtniw! :P

...although I concur that the first was the best. Not keen on friendly aliens personally.
Drake want cake!
Buddha 21

Postby MrPirtniw » 02 Dec 2011, 17:50

Buddha wrote:
Flamestrike wrote:

Hush, you‘ll upset Pirtniw! :P

...although I concur that the first was the best. Not keen on friendly aliens personally.

Ah, it's alright! Everyones entitled to an opinion- even if it is utterly wrong such as Mr Flamestrike here. :wink:
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Flamestrike » 02 Dec 2011, 17:56

Yawn.
Flamestrike 35

Postby Superintendent » 02 Dec 2011, 18:22

Great article, only a handful of misinterpretations. I will chalk these up to you having not yet read Halo: Glasslands, because otherwise your article was great.

For anyone not wanting spoilers of Halo: Glasslands, and somewhat Halo: Cryptum you have been warned.

When you talk about a new ancient threat, you are correct in that the antagonist(s) will be "new" to the games, but probably not new to the universe. The likelihood is that the Precursor "race" will become far more involved this time around, and likely an enemy. Yes, Precursor, not Forerunner. Forerunners will likely make an appearance in some way, but I doubt they will be fully flushed out, at least not in the first game. I expect that the Forerunners will bee explained greatly, but that the Precursors, the equivalent of the Forerunners to the Forerunners, or some aspect of their time in the universe, will be the enemy. We learn in Halo: Cryptum that the Forerunners had captured and imprisoned what was believed to be the last precursor, and that he/she/it is very angry. Though thought of as deities to the Forerunners via their history, the evidence in Cryptum is to the contrary via this imprisonment.
That said, one could also argue that the Forerunners, if they have survived in the sphere this long, have split into factions, and that their is a Forerunner civil war raging on within the sphere. Forerunners could both be ally and enemy. Either way, expect involvement of both the Forerunners, and likely the Precursors, where new "races" may be introduced, but their overall existence falls within established cannon, at least distantly.

Another point to make is against the Covenant being buddy-buddy with humans. Glasslands shows readers the exact opposite, and that, although some are working towards peace, members of both sides are attempting to stage coops and finish the other off. Do not expect to see humans and elites fighting side-by-side. If anything, expect a race against a common enemy, while still fighting each other (similar to the flood). That is not to say that isolated UNSC/Covanant forces unknown to the war ending are not still fighting, but the explanation to this argument in your article is likely false.

Which brings me to the last point. When the warthog appears in Forza 4, it is indeed from the Halo 4 "make and model". This does not directly connect the UNSC to the battle in the sphere. John is on a UNSC ship, or at least half of it, and the vehicle hangar is his half. It is likely a Hog from his ship. It is unlikely that the UNSC is fighting already inside this sphere, because the plan for the sphere in Halo 4 is discovery, mystery and unknowns, much like you have written. If the UNSC is already there, if John meets up with them there won't be much mystery after his briefing, or at least a lot will be flushed out.

I greatly enjoyed the article, but only wanted to make some clarifications from Glasslands and some points derived from Cryptum.
Superintendent 1
New user

Next