to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Mario Kart 7

Your comments on our articles.

Seventh heaven

Six very different roads have led us here to Mario Kart 7. Six roads representing six previous Mario Kart games across six different formats. Six roads that all follow the same highway code (red shells home, green shells roam) and share the same sights (from Mario Circuit to Bowser's Castle). And yet scratch underneath the tarmac and the journeys couldn't be more unlike.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Mario Kart 7

Postby Stryker89 » 25 Nov 2011, 17:43

Oh yes, Christmas Day will be rather special this year. :D
Stryker89 59

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Mario Kart 7

Postby Imaduck » 25 Nov 2011, 17:44

Why not have a "positives" and "negatives" at the end like you do with everything else. Seems odd :shock:
Imaduck 58

Re: Mario Kart 7

Postby bennyt » 25 Nov 2011, 17:52

Great review, looking forward to this immensely.
Only seven more days but i'll have rayman origins to fill my time, so i'll manage.

Xmas and Boxing day races sound like a plan...
bennyt 28

Postby h15c0r3r » 25 Nov 2011, 18:24

I'm really looking forward to playing this, roll on Xmas!
h15c0r3r 4
New user

Postby Taus » 25 Nov 2011, 19:19

Sounds cool, on tue list

Anther old school, fun racer I miss is Micro Machines on PS1

Man that game got fiendishly competitive when racing against mates, the track were brutally fiddly
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby MK7-katana » 25 Nov 2011, 23:54

Knew it would be the best in the series :D
Want to race me...??? Just ask for an add:)
MK7-katana 10
New user

Postby Welsh Jester » 26 Nov 2011, 01:31

Spent many hours on the 64 version esp battle mode, they should've just made it the same as that.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby Dimpee » 26 Nov 2011, 04:48

Any know if it's embargo'd? Ill be picking up as soon as gamestation get them in if not :)
Dimpee 24

Xbox Live: Dimpee
PSN ID: Dimpee
Steam: Dimpee

Postby BOYD1981 » 26 Nov 2011, 13:15

If this makes it's way on to the Wii I may have to dust it off, but Nintendo will probably save it as a launch title for the Wii U.
Seems very silly making it for the handheld just because it's failing, one of the great things about Mario Kart is playing against other people in the same room and I've never really enjoyed the handheld Karts much for that reason.
BOYD1981 47

Postby DoomGuy84 » 26 Nov 2011, 14:06

BOYD1981 wrote:If this makes it's way on to the Wii I may have to dust it off, but Nintendo will probably save it as a launch title for the Wii U.
Seems very silly making it for the handheld just because it's failing, one of the great things about Mario Kart is playing against other people in the same room and I've never really enjoyed the handheld Karts much for that reason.

Mario kart 7 wont be released on the wii. They already have mario kart wii on there and there would be no 3D effects, also they have released other mario karts on handhelds like the GBA and DS.
DoomGuy84 30

Postby BOYD1981 » 26 Nov 2011, 17:00

DoomGuy84 wrote:
BOYD1981 wrote:If this makes it's way on to the Wii I may have to dust it off, but Nintendo will probably save it as a launch title for the Wii U.

Mario kart 7 wont be released on the wii. They already have mario kart wii on there and there would be no 3D effects, also they have released other mario karts on handhelds like the GBA and DS.

In my post, which you quoted in full, I kinda touch on the fact I know that there are other handheld Mario Kart games. What I was trying to get across was that although Mario Kart 7 may be a great game it's a shame it's being released exclusively for the 3DS in an attempt to boost sales of the hardware rather than keep hardware that has already sold in large quantities going strong, which a new Mario Kart title would have done.
BOYD1981 47

Postby KesMonkey » 26 Nov 2011, 23:18

"For all that was good about Mario Kart Wii, you couldn't in a month of shy guys claim that it was much of a competitive racer. Like dogs and their owners, Mario Karts take the form of their host machine, and as such MK: Wii was a party game first and foremost, which every inch of its design crafted to ensure that the odds kept the racing pack bundled in as closely to each other as possible. From there, it was up to the chaos gods to decide who wound up on the podium."

That completely depends on how you play it. When playing local multiplayer, it's possible to customise the race rules. Pick the basic weapons set and you'll find none of the overpowered weapons such as blue shells. This, of course, makes it the competitive racer that it should be by default. If you prefer, you can even turn weapons off altogether, and you're left with a racer where the winner is determined solely by skill.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby KesMonkey » 26 Nov 2011, 23:26

Welsh Jester wrote:Spent many hours on the 64 version esp battle mode, they should've just made it the same as that.

I respectfully disagree. Having played SNES Super Mario Kart to death back in the day (and absolutely mastered it), I was sorely disappointed with MK64. MK64 is definitely the most 'casual' of all the MK games. There was nothing challenging about the handling, and the tight and challenging course design from the original was abandoned in favour of simpler and much more forgiving track layouts. Of course, the fact that anyone from a five year old to your granny could easily pick it up and get to grips with it in a matter of minutes was part of the reason for it's success (that, and the four player support).
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby KesMonkey » 26 Nov 2011, 23:29

Taus wrote:Sounds cool, on tue list

Man that game got fiendishly competitive when racing against mates, the track were brutally fiddly

There's no need to miss it. You can pick up Micro Machines V3 on ebay for next to nothing, and it's playable on every PS console. I still play it from time to time, and it's as great as it ever was. :)
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby corkscru74 » 27 Nov 2011, 01:28

Taus wrote:Sounds cool, on tue list

For the true experience you have to play it 4 player on the mega drive (with two controllers plugged into the cartridge :D )

Ah, retro heaven. Still a million times better than that shoddy version on XBLA - avoid like ebola!
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Next