to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The Legend of Zelda: A series retrospective Part 2

Your comments on our articles.

Part Two: From Majora's Mask to Wii's blockbuster

With just a few days left until Legend of Zelda: Skyward sword slashes its way into the shops, we're getting all nostalgic and running through the series' simply golden history.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Legend of Zelda: A series retrospective Part 2

Postby slick loose » 17 Nov 2011, 12:31

Wind Waker>>>The rest of the Zelda games.
slick loose 67

PSN ID: slickloose

Re: The Legend of Zelda: A series retrospective Part 2

Postby Stryker89 » 17 Nov 2011, 19:20

I've tried playing Twilight Princess again recently, and I can't get into it anymore... It's a fine game, but it's too damn gritty. I love the quirky cartoon style of Wind Waker and I'd much rather see that style in the future.
I've also been playing Skyward Sword the past few days... It's good, very good... Perhaps surprisingly linear for a Zelda game though, it's certainly jarring when you first realise there's no massive open field or ocean. The gameplay is perfect though, definitely the hardest Zelda game to date!
Stryker89 60

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby Dalaeck » 17 Nov 2011, 22:13

I've played every zelda, and my opinion is twilight princess is the best. Closely followed by a link to the past. Ocarina is a good game, revolutionary in its time, but it lacks the excellence so many reviewers claim it has. There are a lot of poor design decisions in ocarina that you don't see in TP.
Dalaeck 42

Postby Balladeer » 17 Nov 2011, 22:57

I'm another TP fan, although I'll agree that the style is rubbish. Blame all the American journos cheering the original "hyper-realistic" Zelda GC demo. Too much brown, too much bloom. WW looks much prettier, and Link has so much character.

But it doesn't have Midna or Epona in it. And there's that bleddy Triforce Hunt.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby MysticR » 18 Nov 2011, 12:55

Great article, and one of the best written that I've read here in some time.

I've been a huge fan of the Zelda series ever since Ocarina of Time, and I've never before felt much desire to play the earlier entries - until I read this. It reminded me just what a varied set of games Nintendo (and others) have crafted; few other franchises can boast so many instances of reinvention.

I'm eagerly awaiting playing Skyward Sword, which will be blasting the dust from my Wii just as soon as Assassin's Creed is finished.
MysticR 39

Postby sepewrath » 19 Nov 2011, 07:40

Twilight Princess is a victim of its own hype, peoples inability to separate hype from reality, along with the Zelda audiences habit of hating everything that has been released in the last five year(affectionately known as the Zelda cycle) But yeah I agree with the article, TP is definitely top tier as far as Zelda games goes, I don't know how you could be a Zelda fan and not like that game. It is a love letter to the franchise, with like the article said, spectacular boss fights, locations and Snowpeak Ruins is easily one of my all time favorite dungeons. And the fishing!! Best fishing the series has ever had lol.
sepewrath 26

Postby verynaughtyboy » 19 Nov 2011, 13:15

I remember when I saw the first screenshot of Wind Waker - I was gutted. After Ocarina and the GC demo I was wanting another mature Zelda on what was a cutting edge console of the time. It goes to show that you shouldn't put too much stock in first impressions! Once I saw WW in action my opinion was totally changed. I absolutely loved that game! Was anyone else shocked by the way that Link dispatched with Ganondorf? It was brilliant and brutal and really at odds with the visuals.

I hadn't realised that they had cut so much content out of the game to meet the deadline. Normally Zelda games come out when they are ready and not a moment before. Maybe one day we'll get an uncompromised HD version that fulfils the developers original vision.

Also... Twilight Princess was awesome. If not the best then it's one of them. The problem that T.P. had was that it didn't come out of nowhere and change everything like Ocarina did but I do feel that it did what it did as well and in some cases better. One criticism... it was too easy. I killed every boss on the first attempt without any guides or help and I'm not that great a gamer!
I spend all my money on Games and Consoles. Any left over I just waste.
verynaughtyboy 41