£57 for a PS3 game: Why PSN's pricing structure is bro

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: Sony has to fix the bizarre prices - before it's too late, argues PSM3...

Say I were to develop an urge to play Red Faction Armageddon. The cheapest option would be to borrow it from a friend. But friends don't let friends play the poor-selling, 5.5-in-PSM3-scoring Red Faction Armageddon, so I could pick it up used for seven or eight quid.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby jim2wheels » 16 Nov 2011, 14:25

RRP prices are the culprits. Even if [insert any retailer or online shop] has, for example, Dead Island is up for £24 but the RRP is still set at £44.99 (or higher in some cases). Even ancient games that are going for £9.99 still display the RRP price as it was upon release. A quick look on Amazon will show you what I mean, 70-80% discounts on 4 year old games - ridiculous.

I suspect Sony (and any other console maker) cannot undercut the RRP price, which for whatever reason remains static at all times. The question is this: Who sets these RRP's, and why don't they come down accordingly?
Last edited by jim2wheels on 16 Nov 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
jim2wheels 69

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby monkeyd_93 » 16 Nov 2011, 14:32

its not only sony but nintendo and microsoft. The main problem i think that's causing the prices is the amount of publisher influence they have on pricing their products and also regional distribution. For instance with Payday which came out recently, it was about $20 USD, which with our high dollar in Australia, would be about $19, yet instead we pay $28 for it. On comparison, it's on steam right now for $20 but the thing is i don't know who's adding the little bit extra to it if it's Sony or the publisher, but seeing how a lot of other products are in the same situation (retail), im more inclined to say publishers are doing it . It's really hard to think of a model they could use to be more competitive, but as the only provider for games on the ps3 and vita, would they even need to try?
monkeyd_93 35

Re: £57 for a PS3 game: Why PSN's pricing structure is

Postby dazzauk06 » 16 Nov 2011, 14:50

The pricing of full retail games on PSN truly is ridiculous. I normally check the PS blog each week to see what's on the store and see other's comments on the content. The response each time a new retail game is put on there for £57 or some other unsuitably high price is ridicule. The response from Sony's representative on the blog is just as predictable - "The publishers set the prices, we do not". Would like to know just how many people actually buy the games at these truly daft prices. Surely there must be someone out there buying at these prices otherwise the publishers would be getting the message. I vote we hunt down these people and give them a good seeing to! :lol: :lol:
dazzauk06 19

Postby TheLastDodo » 16 Nov 2011, 15:12

dazzauk06 wrote:The pricing of full retail games on PSN truly is ridiculous. I normally check the PS blog each week to see what's on the store and see other's comments on the content. The response each time a new retail game is put on there for £57 or some other unsuitably high price is ridicule. The response from Sony's representative on the blog is just as predictable - "The publishers set the prices, we do not". Would like to know just how many people actually buy the games at these truly daft prices. Surely there must be someone out there buying at these prices otherwise the publishers would be getting the message. I vote we hunt down these people and give them a good seeing to! :lol: :lol:

Go check out how many ratings BF3 and FIFA 12 have, that will answer your question and give you a good giggle.

I'll get my knuckle dusters ready while you're doing that :D
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Obscure_Metaphor » 16 Nov 2011, 15:17

id always wondered why i turn my ps3 on everyday, yet ive never felt the urge to spend money through it....
Obscure_Metaphor 40

Postby squatch » 16 Nov 2011, 16:03

Yeah, when i can get a game in the shops for 10 quid, and its 20-30 online i know where im gonna go.
PSN is ridiculous for its prices.
squatch 49

Postby StonecoldMC » 16 Nov 2011, 16:05

Ive never bought anything off of the PSN :shock: :wink: .

In saying that, Ive only ever bought Arcade Games off of Live, never bought anthing off of GOD (Ooh controversial). Until there comes a point where the prices start to compare to what you pay elsewhere, then the only people who will be buying them from the networks are

Or

"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby wrightandrewjame » 16 Nov 2011, 16:21

Publishers set the prices. Sony can't change the prices without publisher permission. It's not like a bricks and mortar store where a retailer buys the stock at a price and then it's up to them what price they then sell it on to the customer. Sony essentially have an infinite stock and while they could sell it at a low price and just take their percentage of the sale the publisher wouldn't exactly be happy. The publishers haven't sold the game to Sony to sell on (I assume) and so their money comes whatever price it sells at on the Store.

Remember Sony charge publishers for bandwidth, for demos, games, DLC, you name it. If you download it, the publisher gets charged. Who do think picks the bill up really? That's more money onto the cost of the game.

As the article says publishers can't annoy other retailers (like GAME, HMV etc.) by undercutting them for fear of losing trade and while digital sales are still the minority this is the way it will remain. Brand new full sized games will cost an arm and a leg. Old full sized games will be cheaper, but probably still more than you have to pay in a shop (although there are the odd exceptions). PSN exclusive titles (i.e. not at retail) will be reasonable value for money. That's the way it will remain for now until digital sales match or move past those at retail.

PC games are different though because I assume that most retail stores don't see them as their main money spinner (no pre-owned and a smaller profit margin) and with the massive increase in digital stores (more competition) and sales from downloads, digital copies are cheaper as a result. It's a similar thing that happened with the music industry with the mp3 v CD. Originally digital was more expensive, but as people paid for convenience it became cheaper and now its cheaper than in shops. PC games have done the same and in a few years console games could well be the same. Remember we're always about 5-8 years behind PC gaming...
wrightandrewjame 53

PSN ID: Solid_Snake1987

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 16 Nov 2011, 16:24

The prices on the store are utterly barmy. Id never consider paying £57 for a brand new release boxed version of a game, so paying that much for a download version is madness. I simply fail to see how anyone can even think for a moment that this will sell. Its as if they put the titles online and then forget about them forever, hence why old titles are still up for daft prices. Its a shame really because sony does a great job with the smaller arcade titles, the sales often inspiring me to download games I wouldnt otherwise try. Why do they care so little for the mainstream game download market?
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 75

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Postby jonbwfc » 16 Nov 2011, 16:30

Er... for Infamous 2, Sony is the publisher. Yet their prices are nearly as out of whack as everybody else's. This is also true for most PSP games, since hardly anyone else bothers to publish them any more.

The reason the prices are as they are is because they think people will pay for them. And I'm sure some people do. But it's a pitiful fraction of the people who would if the prices even roughly matched the high street, let alone anything appropriate to the actual costs.

It's just another example of how the EU PSN is run by blithering idiots.

Jon
jonbwfc 58

Postby CraigoCorleone » 16 Nov 2011, 17:17

Costs! Whatever. If people are going to buy these games at these 'ridiculous' prices then they are going to continue to sell them. I've just looked at what The LastDodo said to do and my god! There must be a lot of rich people who live on an island somewhere that can't receive mail but have broadband.

Stop paying these prices and they will come tumbling down.
CraigoCorleone 18

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 16 Nov 2011, 17:47

'' Costs! Whatever. If people are going to buy these games at these 'ridiculous' prices then they are going to continue to sell them. I've just looked at what The LastDodo said to do and my god! There must be a lot of rich people who live on an island somewhere that can't receive mail but have broadband.''

Funny thing is people are actually buying the expensive games over £50 on PSN as the games will only let you rate them if you have bought it and it tells you how many people have bought them.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby buckleboff94 » 16 Nov 2011, 18:39

some great points.
as mentioned, microsoft (I dont know about ninty) are bad, maybe not 57 quid.
But for microsoft in particular, who seem to be fixated on digital downloads rather than blu-ray, they need to have a constantly updating catalogue with FAR better prices for me to even consider buying it..
i havent bought anything off my ps3, and will only use those £20 cards to buy joe danger and maybe infamous 2 festival of blood. On the other hand, ive bought a ton of stuff of my xbox on deals etc.
buckleboff94 27

Xbox Live: buckleboff94
PSN ID: buckleboff94

Postby 03b2wgm » 16 Nov 2011, 19:22

£49.99 for Halo Reach on Games on Demand? No way.
03b2wgm 39

Postby voodoo341 » 16 Nov 2011, 19:59

wrightandrewjame wrote:PC games are different though because I assume that most retail stores don't see them as their main money spinner (no pre-owned and a smaller profit margin) and with the massive increase in digital stores (more competition) and sales from downloads, digital copies are cheaper as a result. It's a similar thing that happened with the music industry with the mp3 v CD. Originally digital was more expensive, but as people paid for convenience it became cheaper and now its cheaper than in shops. PC games have done the same and in a few years console games could well be the same. Remember we're always about 5-8 years behind PC gaming...

That isn't strictly true. MW3 is £39.99 on Steam, £34.99 on Tescos online. Battlefield 3 is £40 on Origin, £28 on Tescos for the limited edition. Football Manager 2011, Skyrim etc can all be picked up cheaper than on Steam. New releases are in general more expensive. Steam do drop their price quicker than other providers but that only encourages me to wait a month when buying PC games.
voodoo341 75

Next