to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The Legend of Zelda: A series retrospective

Your comments on our articles.

Part one: From NES classic to Ocarina of Time...

With just a few days left until the release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward sword this is the perfect chance indulge in a little nostalgia and celebrate the series' history.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Legend of Zelda: A series retrospective

Postby metallicorphan » 15 Nov 2011, 17:43

I have finished quite a few Zelda's,they are by far the greatest Franchise Nintendo have,i have lost all love for Mario after Galaxy came out

the New Zelda this month would be one of the few reasons i would pick up a Wii again

A link To The past-what a fantastic game,and the first Zelda game i finished,at the time i had never played anything like it,and bought it again for my GBA and play it on my Gamecube via the Gameboy player

Ocarina of Time -i don't think any game has come and i have spent half the time fishing,it was very simple but i loved it
And yes,i got totally lost in the Water Temple,i was in there forever

stand out boss of the game...Dark Link!!
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Re: The Legend of Zelda: A series retrospective

Postby MPH » 15 Nov 2011, 20:09

Zelda 2 is still - to this day - my favourite Zelda game ever. I absolutely adored it. I loved the change in perspective and the quirkiness of it all. Funnily enough I thought of Shadow Link in Zelda 2 when reading this article. What a pain in the ass he was. Anyway, looking forward to getting my LE Skyward Sword tomorrow!

To the previous poster, did you play Galaxy 2? It's miles better than Galaxy IMO. One of my favourite Mario games that. Even went and got all the green stars after completing it. Certainly the best 3D mario since SM64.
MPH 53

Postby Skarfester » 15 Nov 2011, 20:38

My guilty secret as a huge rpg fan has always been i have never played a zelda game, maybe i should break out a S/NES emulator and give some of them a try, after skyrim of course...
Skarfester 34

Postby me4pd » 15 Nov 2011, 21:26

1. I wouldn't call Spirit Tracks a masterpiece. It had loads of character and pretty good ideas but it felt 'lite'.

2. I'm going to just say it. I prefer Galaxy (&2) to 64. Galaxy two has loads more ideas and sometimes felt like an idea was dropped too quickly in case the designers forgot about their next new idea but it really is ace.

3. Where was F-Zero this gen?
me4pd 48

Postby Laughlyn » 16 Nov 2011, 00:26

Skarfester wrote:My guilty secret as a huge rpg fan has always been i have never played a zelda game, maybe i should break out a S/NES emulator and give some of them a try, after skyrim of course...

deffinitly do so, and start with the NES version, go through it and then go trhoughteh second quest too in order to achive both triforce at the end, then move straight onto Link to the past, nowt wrong with Zelda II, just as it says in the article, a bit 'odd' the first n third games have alway sbeen my favorite, i had the original when i was about 10yr old it'd only been out about a year or so and i had a mate stay over and we ende dup staying awake all night to complete the last couple of dungeons n finally defeat Gannon (as he was know then) its one of my greatest gaming memories completing that only matched with completing Zelda 3. when i got my PSP go teh first thing i did wa sstick teh GBA emulator on it and got teh NES classic version of original and LTTP and i also got Minish Cap which i'd always wanted to play, i bought OoT 3D teh same day too and that neve rgot touched for about 3 weeks, Minish Cap is great too but oh-so short but i enjoyed every minute playing it
Laughlyn 55

Postby G_R7 » 16 Nov 2011, 00:49

There is a reason why I have the Triforce tattooed on my arm. Most of the reasons are listed on this article. If it wasn't for The Legend of Zelda and the hope for a new one coming out I would have stopped gaming years ago! And telling Nintendo I had the tattoo got me a free trip to Amsterdam for that 3DS press conference so the tattoo kinda paid for it’s self now!
http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=GRose7 Visit my YouTube page for videos of my drunken fun including me downing a pint of beer in 3.2 seconds.
3DS Friend Code: 3007 8062 6995. Add me for Mario Kart 7 and any upcoming games!
G_R7 55

Xbox Live: G R7
PSN ID: G_R7

Postby kakah » 16 Nov 2011, 10:51

Great article - good source of info for people who may have not played or doubt the greatness of this franchise!
kakah 40

Postby a.d » 17 Nov 2011, 13:19

Brilliant feature CVG, give yourselves a pat on the back!
Proud Gooner!
a.d 36

Xbox Live: alvstar84
PSN ID: alvstar1984

Postby mrlister » 19 Nov 2011, 05:08

I like the two where Link has to wake something to do with wind.
mrlister 45

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Postby sepewrath » 19 Nov 2011, 07:06

Great retrospective, if you can get one person who has never tried the series to take the plunge, its done its job. And I have to agree with the philosophy of BO and AO, I cant think of any other moment in gaming that matches the first steps out into Hyrule Field as just a moment that represents a total shift in game design. Mario 64 comes the closest.
sepewrath 26