to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

30 great developers: Media Molecule

Your comments on our articles.

A very creative outfit

In 2008 young studio Media Molecule managed to create a stellar platformer and a brand new approach to user generated content in one victorious swoop.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby BoringName » 10 Nov 2011, 18:51

Took LBP as a lego fan and loved it. Watching the play counter on a level tick up to the hunderds or (strike it lucky) thousands was an amazing feeling as people played levels. Above all the art and design, I don't think there's a lot that comes as close to influencing me as that did. Hope this sudio keeps its' creativity and soul in every game.
Last edited by BoringName on 10 Nov 2011, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
BoringName 31

PSN ID: ThWarrior

Postby metallicorphan » 10 Nov 2011, 18:51

I enjoyed Little Big Planet,but not sure these guys would make my list,although TBH that is the only game i have played of theirs(that i know of),except the beta for Modnation Racers
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Re: 30 great developers: Media Molecule

Postby Fr33Kye » 10 Nov 2011, 19:35

Modnation racers is a different studio.

These guys have the best level designers in the industry. I love littlebigplanet and co-op. Littlebigplanet has already affected sony's entire gameplan. Infamous came with ugc, modnation racers came out, sound shapes, etc. Littlebigplanet basically made the whole play create share mantra, and sony are actually extending it to the vita rather than it just being more marketing buzzwords.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby Lady Gagagged » 10 Nov 2011, 22:10

Did any one else buy the 2000ad kit because it promised better level editing features at a future date? Did any one else play hundreds of mindless, barely functional user created levels? Did anyone else experience the joy of a complicated physics system that made four player gaming almost unplayable? I could go on but I won't. Simply a couple of okay games don't make a great studio.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby starvinbull » 10 Nov 2011, 23:59

Lady Gagagged wrote:Did any one else buy the 2000ad kit because it promised better level editing features at a future date? Did any one else play hundreds of mindless, barely functional user created levels? Did anyone else experience the joy of a complicated physics system that made four player gaming almost unplayable? I could go on but I won't. Simply a couple of okay games don't make a great studio.

The fact that people are making better platforming levels than most modern developers in LBP2 sh*ts all over your post.

Perfect recreations of space invaders, defender, pong. Reimaginings of FF7, sonic 2, connect 4. Some of the best community levels are the best multiplayer 2D platformers ever made.

The fact is that what the community can do with LBP2 vindicates who and what they are as a developer.
starvinbull 59

Postby TheLastDodo » 11 Nov 2011, 10:47

Lady Gagagged wrote:Did any one else buy the 2000ad kit because it promised better level editing features at a future date? Did any one else play hundreds of mindless, barely functional user created levels? Did anyone else experience the joy of a complicated physics system that made four player gaming almost unplayable? I could go on but I won't. Simply a couple of okay games don't make a great studio.

Never heard of that with the 2000ad kit.

Nope, I stuck to playing the thousands of top rated/MM Picks levels.

Yes, the physics system made 4 player co-op hilarious.

I think LBP was just the wrong game for you.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts - The Wolf Among Us
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Lady Gagagged » 11 Nov 2011, 17:47

starvinbull wrote:

The fact that people are making better platforming levels than most modern developers in LBP2 sh*ts all over your post.

How does that show that there weren't thousands of s**t levels then?

starvinbull wrote:Perfect recreations of space invaders, defender, pong. Reimaginings of FF7, sonic 2, connect 4. Some of the best community levels are the best multiplayer 2D platformers ever made.

I'm sorry, they copied someone else's ideas and that shows they have created great designs? Maybe you should think before you post? You've invalidated any points you're trying to make with your own words.

starvinbull wrote:The fact is that what the community can do with LBP2 vindicates who and what they are as a developer.

They are vindicated by the work and time others have put into the game? Run that one by me again. I'm not saying LBP is a bad game, I'm saying it isn't as good as people seem to try have me believe.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot