20 games that will change online play forever

Your comments on our articles.

A list of titles that will make online gamers out of us all...

Online gaming might be synonymous with Call of Duty's frantic deathmatches, but the best studios are transcending the clichés to embrace innovative new ways to compete, compare and collaborate with online friends.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

20 games that will change online play forever

Postby altitude2k » 09 Nov 2011, 19:55

COD: MW3

Developer Infinity Ward

Publisher Activision

Innovations Stats, heat maps, smartphone access

All of which have been available to Halo for years. Literally. Great "innovations", those.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Re: 20 games that will change online play forever

Postby buckleboff94 » 09 Nov 2011, 20:36

yeah, i agree with the above halo comments..
otherwise an eye opening article i must admit. the sad fact of the matter is that the lobbies will be empty after a few weeks when the next generic military shooter comes out.
AC multiplayer rules, i love the story fuellled idea.
just three things- perhaps add saints row 3 and mass effect 3?
ME3 co-op affects the level of war in your SP without impacting those who dont play it (apparently)
aaand saints row 3, as more games need to give a campaign that can be played fully in co-op and add to the experience. oh plus you can surf on top of a friend-piloted fighter jet XD
also, why dont more games have cross platform play. my hope is, one day to have a ps3 vs xbox multiplayer. im salivating at the very thought..
buckleboff94 27

Xbox Live: buckleboff94
PSN ID: buckleboff94

Postby sepewrath » 09 Nov 2011, 21:46

This is a very liberal use of the word innovative. A lot of this has been done before or is so simple, that there is nothing game changing about it.
sepewrath 29

Postby Fr33Kye » 09 Nov 2011, 22:47

Halo had smartphone access?
Anyway except for a few it's a pretty good list and reminds me we are moving forward in a lot of ways, though we could do better.
I wanna say sound shapes should be on the list. Sound shapes for similar reasons as little big planet but in sound shapes people are sharing music and levels simultaneously, that's gotta be worth a mention right? Ruin also might be one worth a mention, though i'm not an expert on multiplayer in dungeon crawlers. And i sort of hate to say it but maybe reality fighters has earned a spot. You can play in locations from anywhere your opponent is.
And i feel like i'm forgetting some really important multiplayer game. It will come to me eventually.

Dark souls definitely earned it's spot!
Fr33Kye 71

Postby altitude2k » 09 Nov 2011, 23:06

Yep, you've been able to pick up stats etc on your phone for a long time now since Halo 3. Part of Bungie's open web platform meant a whole raft of apps available to do that alongside more official options such as the new Bungie site.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby mazlins » 09 Nov 2011, 23:20

sepewrath wrote:This is a very liberal use of the word innovative. A lot of this has been done before or is so simple, that there is nothing game changing about it.

I believe they are using Apple's definition of 'innovative'.
mazlins 37

Postby Fr33Kye » 09 Nov 2011, 23:35

Ahhh, well then there isn't much point in calling cod innovative. Though it may make it more popular than when bungie did it.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby monty_79 » 09 Nov 2011, 23:42

I'm interested in Dust 514, definitely. The idea of being given specific missions from real people playing in a separate game is brilliant and if done well, could really reinvent the online community. It may even *shudder* build bridges between console players and PC scum, erm, I mean, players :wink:
monty_79 57

Postby Down with robots » 10 Nov 2011, 00:02

The problem with multi player games is the other players. Humans are dicks, especially when they are anonymous, and take great delight in ruining things for everyone else, or cheating because they can't win fairly. I don't play multiplayer games, and have no intention of doing so.
Down with robots 52

Postby damoxuk » 10 Nov 2011, 00:14

The free-to-play model has been huge for PC games like World of Warcraft

Out of all the MMO's you picked the one of the very few what isn't free to play. (play 20 levels doth not constitute free to play - trial is the word).
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 10 Nov 2011, 00:41

If these games are "changing" the online area then.. I think I'll be sticking to the single player aspect of video gaming and staying the hell away from the multiplayer like I always have been. Don't get ahead of yourself CVG, these games aren't doing anything much, if any different, than any game that has an online mode now. They're not doing anything fundamentally new in terms of online play that hasn't in some small or large form been done before, so it's hardly going to get me, someone who is tired of all the online game modes that are just simple variations of team/deathmatch and capture the flag, to play these.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Fr33Kye » 10 Nov 2011, 01:04

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:If these games are "changing" the online area then.. I think I'll be sticking to the single player aspect of video gaming and staying the hell away from the multiplayer like I always have been. Don't get ahead of yourself CVG, these games aren't doing anything much, if any different, than any game that has an online mode now. They're not doing anything fundamentally new in terms of online play that hasn't in some small or large form been done before, so it's hardly going to get me, someone who is tired of all the online game modes that are just simple variations of team/deathmatch and capture the flag, to play these.

Well that's not really fair to journey, starhawk, littlebigplanet vita, dark souls, wipeout, ssx, Fifa, counterstrike, and Dust 514. A lot of those games ARE trying new ideas and/or trying to leverage our increased online connectivity that came with this generation to fit their games in new interesting ways rather than simply copy and pasting what works. A lot of these games represent important steps forward that are now possible because of this generation.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby TheLastDodo » 10 Nov 2011, 01:20

I was about to tear you a new one CVG but then I got to the fifth page.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 10 Nov 2011, 01:41

Fr33Kye wrote:
TheCrimsonFenix wrote:If these games are "changing" the online area then.. I think I'll be sticking to the single player aspect of video gaming and staying the hell away from the multiplayer like I always have been. Don't get ahead of yourself CVG, these games aren't doing anything much, if any different, than any game that has an online mode now. They're not doing anything fundamentally new in terms of online play that hasn't in some small or large form been done before, so it's hardly going to get me, someone who is tired of all the online game modes that are just simple variations of team/deathmatch and capture the flag, to play these.

Well that's not really fair to journey, starhawk, littlebigplanet vita, dark souls, wipeout, ssx, Fifa, counterstrike, and Dust 514. A lot of those games ARE trying new ideas and/or trying to leverage our increased online connectivity that came with this generation to fit their games in new interesting ways rather than simply copy and pasting what works. A lot of these games represent important steps forward that are now possible because of this generation.

Journey: Allowing anonymous connectivity with other players online. Not exactly an important step in my opinion nor is it technically new.

LittleBigPlanet: Bringing a game experience to handheld. Yeah, that's really exciting.

Dark Souls: It's online play would be welcome if it was built into other games other than just itself.

FIFA: Allowing you to "rewrite" history by re-enacting certain real life matches as though a few gamer controlled actions would make a difference? Sounds like an up to date Legend matches mode from the Smackdown games to me.

Counter Strike: Another game hoping to pit pc players against console players as though it's important.

Dust 514: Would be nice.. if it wasn't a MMO shooter that looks eerily like Halo.

Starhawk: Having the ability to turn flag bases into weapons themselves by dropping them on people is hardly an exhilarating thought.

Wipeout: Connecting handheld and console players.. hardly fun for the experience itself.

SSX: Sharing routes through what will no doubt be semi linear levels in the first place? Err, no thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for changing things up but the things that these games are bringing are not "innovative" nor are they "important" or in a lot of ways new. The majority of these are just a bunch of games with features that are designed to make them stand out. Whether standing out is good or not is not my point, what is actually fun in innovation , is. Feel free to reply back with a "But these game features aren't trying to be innovative, they're features that are important steps forward on the path to online connectivity" response all you want but innovation is a word used a lot in this article and that is the area I'm questioning. These, are not in my opinion, innovative, nor are they even that exciting, to me at least.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Fr33Kye » 10 Nov 2011, 04:13

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:
Journey: Allowing anonymous connectivity with other players online. Not exactly an important step in my opinion nor is it technically new.

LittleBigPlanet: Bringing a game experience to handheld. Yeah, that's really exciting.

Dark Souls: It's online play would be welcome if it was built into other games other than just itself.

FIFA: Allowing you to "rewrite" history by re-enacting certain real life matches as though a few gamer controlled actions would make a difference? Sounds like an up to date Legend matches mode from the Smackdown games to me.

Counter Strike: Another game hoping to pit pc players against console players as though it's important.

Dust 514: Would be nice.. if it wasn't a MMO shooter that looks eerily like Halo.

Starhawk: Having the ability to turn flag bases into weapons themselves by dropping them on people is hardly an exhilarating thought.

Wipeout: Connecting handheld and console players.. hardly fun for the experience itself.

SSX: Sharing routes through what will no doubt be semi linear levels in the first place? Err, no thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for changing things up but the things that these games are bringing are not "innovative" nor are they "important" or in a lot of ways new. The majority of these are just a bunch of games with features that are designed to make them stand out. Whether standing out is good or not is not my point, what is actually fun in innovation , is. Feel free to reply back with a "But these game features aren't trying to be innovative, they're features that are important steps forward on the path to online connectivity" response all you want but innovation is a word used a lot in this article and that is the area I'm questioning. These, are not in my opinion, innovative, nor are they even that exciting, to me at least.

You seriously should look into journey more because i think you're missing the point.

You should seriously look into the littlebigplanet vita and the the vita's social features in general.

Don't get your point about dark souls.

I included fifa because it represents the increased connectivity of consoles. Things can be frequently updated and released, it's basically what the promise of dlc was.

Counterstrike, letting everyone use whatever control scheme suits them, ranking them based on skill, and one server for mac, pc and ps3 is kind of a big deal. The goal for multiplayer for a lot of people is playing universally. Counterstrike gets pretty damn close which is why i included it.

Dust 514 does eerily look like halo but not sure how that makes it's innovations invalid.

That's not what starhawk is about.....It's not just dropping bases on people from the sky. You should look into that game as well.

I included wipeout because it allows for 8 player multiplayer with any number of console or handheld participants, allowing ps3 players to play on vita maps and vita owners to play wipeout HD maps. The entire experience on a handheld of being able to play anywhere, with anyone, is kind of a big deal. It's an example of perfect handheld-console multiplayer.

I included ssx because it used an online mode strictly suited for itself, rather than just going for basic ranking and head to head multiplayer.

Innovation is the act of introducing a new way of doing things, or even just improving on what exists. I would say these are innovative, the ones that use online in a way that is tailored for there game is innovative because instead of copy and pasting what's there, they are using new ideas and methods. Games like journey, starhawk, and dust are innovative because they represent new ways of multiplayer rather than simply running around shooting each other in first person so you can see a score at the end. You don't seem to know a lot about these games, nor do you seem inclined into liking multiplayer in any form so i can see why it wouldn't excite you, but what would you call innovative?
Fr33Kye 71

Next