to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Why do so many gamers hate cut-scenes?

Your comments on our articles.

Tedious obstacle or the 'emotional glue' of gaming? CVG investigates...

It's becoming a tedious, knee-jerk response to dismiss almost any game if it contains hours of expository, non-interactive cut-scenes to tell a story as the player progresses. But why do so many gamers and games developers hate on cut-scenes?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Oct 2011, 14:04

I generally don't have a huge issue with cut scenes, as long as they ain't too long *cough* Kojima! however what does make my s**t itch is when you are forced to re-watch cutscenes with no option to skip when you have had to restart at a checkpoint a la Gears 3, Rage etc etc......

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
KK-Headcharge78 60

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Denther » 26 Oct 2011, 14:08

but many players want to get straight into the action and don't care about your subtle narrative or over-complicated story.

Perhaps this is what is wrong with gamers...

I am playing Red Dead Redemption at the moment and find those, if you can call them cut-scenes, a key part of the story. Perhaps it's because they appear with in-game graphics and therefore make me feel like I should listen to the ramblings. But I don't because I DON'T CARE. I'd rather take 20 seconds reading the mission points than 10 minutes viewing somebody's hopeful Hollywood audition.

I don't like this man

I love the stories in games, and that is the main reason I play games, obviously the game play has to be good as well, but story is what I go for first in a game. I love cutscenes (although as above, hate no option to skip if you have seen it!!!!)
Denther 12

Postby thirdwatch » 26 Oct 2011, 14:11

I was trading in mgs4 recently and some chap at the counter asked what I thought. I wanted to say it was brilliant and it is but good lord the amount and duration of the cut-scenes were beyond a joke. Off hand I don't know how long the last one was at the end of the game but it felt like hours and I was busting for a wee halfway through.

So I don't hate cut-scenes but I appreciate games a whole lot more which don't rely on them. I'm looking at you Demon Souls, you beautiful bitch.
thirdwatch 22

Re: Why do so many gamers hate cut-scenes?

Postby RichPerry » 26 Oct 2011, 14:14

I think it's quite sad that some people simply can't be bothered to watch a cutscene (excusing the ones that are overly long - I played Metal Gear 4, I know). It seems like a general disinterest in the story, which basically robs you of most of the experience, essentially turning the game into a simple excercise of game mechanics. I enjoy cutscenes and the narrative of a game as it helps me feel like what I'm doing matters within the game.
RichPerry 35

Postby gmcb007 » 26 Oct 2011, 14:17

Being a primary SP person, i'll never skip an unseen cutscene or i'll lose out in story. However, if I am replaying the campaign for the sake of collectibles then i'd just skip em. What annoys me though is the games that do not allow you to skip them at all especially if the last checkpoint is located just before it kicks in!.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 62

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby jdkoke » 26 Oct 2011, 14:18

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:I generally don't have a huge issue with cut scenes, as long as they ain't too long *cough* Kojima! however what does make my s**t itch is when you are forced to re-watch cutscenes with no option to skip when you have had to restart at a checkpoint a la Gears 3, Rage etc etc......

Exactly this
jdkoke 43

Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Postby ricflair » 26 Oct 2011, 14:21

I don't really like the stories in games, so generally cut scenes take me away from what I'm interested in: the gameplay, 9 times out of 10. It also takes a lot more skill on the developers' part to actually tell the story in game.

I don't mind them every now and then, but I'd much rather they were properly in game, even if it makes them less cinematic and not being able to skip them is a sin. I know they were vital in LA Noire, but going back over the scenes took so long I couldn't be arsed going back over hardly any of them.
Woo
ricflair 75

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby richardr » 26 Oct 2011, 14:23

It depends on how well they're done isn't it? Red Dead Redemption and Assassins Creed 2 do them well, for me, as they fit the mood, carry the story further, can be humourous and crucially aren't that long.

I have to agree with the comment on Deus Ex: HR in that they went on for far, far too long, the voice-acting and animation was noticeably weak and not particularly smooth (not that it knackered the game in any way for me). Each massive speech and conversation slowed the pace so much it just felt like the first time I saw the second Matrix film and The Architect talked non-stop for half an hour in a monotonous flat voice that made everyone forget what the hell was going on.

Cut-scenes are great, and are an integral part of building a good story, but when they go on too long or are simply done too badly then they become the enemy. It's all about for me I guess about how they hold your interest.
richardr 12

Postby TheLastDodo » 26 Oct 2011, 14:25

As long as they're not too long (MGS4), as long as they don't break up the action far too often (KZ3), as long as they're well acted and progress the story/characters (Uncharted) I don't have a problem with cut scenes.
TheLastDodo 76

Postby c3dpo » 26 Oct 2011, 14:26

oooh nice debate:

For me I watch them only when needed, i.e. heavy rain and things that I form an emotional attachment with.

Showcasing their next gen GFX just for the sake of it, well waste of budget IMO. though I love the cool action sequences from games like Baynetta, DMC etc as their stories are so bland they need the cool scenes :)

Now the real question:

How many gamers are playing online Vs offline?

The above is the one biggest reason my SP gaming has taken a hit, and COD and BF will only be played SP by me when their is issues with XBL (rare I know) or the game itself is bugged.

Sad I know, but I really think this needs a good analysis if not already done to better help developers and publishers choose where they spend their budgets in this overly competetive market.
c3dpo 35

Postby lordirongut » 26 Oct 2011, 14:27

It depends on the game. In RPGs like Final Fantasy, they are fundamentally necessary - the only ways to tell the story are through text boxes and cutscenes. It's the same with Metal Gear - yes, the cutscenes are long, but they fundamentally work because Kojima wanted to get a lot across - something that really couldn't have been done without the cutscenes. Fans of both series' expect and enjoy the cutscenes in those games - I certainly do. Whether it be the beautiful CG of Final Fantasy or the depth and drama of Metal Gear, both use cutscenes well.

Equally, however, some games wouldn't work with cutscenes - ICO wouldn't, Half Life wouldn't and neither would numerous others. And fans of these games wouldn't want them to. Just as some of the charms and intricacies of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear are explored through cutscenes, the charms and intricacies of ICO and Half Life wouldn't translate well to cutscenes. There's nothing wrong with that.

There's nothing wrong with either approach. It depends entirely on the game. I genuinely believe that games can tell better stories than films - if only because the world that they are set in can be contextualized so much more thoroughly and there is more time to develop the story. Whether this is done with or without cutscenes is up to the developer - Metal Gear wouldn't be half as compelling if it used Half Life storytelling and vice-versa.

What does annoy me, however, is when cutscenes can't be paused. Especially when they're 40 minutes long. I'm looking at you, Star Ocean 4.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 65

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby metallicorphan » 26 Oct 2011, 14:30

i love cutscenes,Metal Gear Solid Cut scenes,need to be twice as long!!! :P
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby rbt2 » 26 Oct 2011, 14:33

Don't mind 'em meself.
The longer the better as far as I is concerned.

Gives me a chance to have a real big turn ahhhhhhht on the khazi*

*real big turn ahhhhhhht on the khazi = a right big s**t and a good clear ahhhhhhhhhhhht in the bumhole dept*

*A good clear ahhhhhhhhhhhhht in the bumhole dept = a right good clear ahhhhhhhhhhhht in the bumhole 'department'.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby StonecoldMC » 26 Oct 2011, 14:37

I must admit, I can hardly think of any Game that I skip the cutscene. When I play a Game, expecially a story driven one then I want to soak it all in, be it Bioshock, Alan Wake, Gears, Halo, Fable anything.

I have a friend though, who only plays FIFA and COD, like that is it! I persauded him to buy Gears 3 and asked him how he was enjoying it? He said he loved it and when I asked him what he thought of the story he said, what story? He skipped every cutscene and just wanted to get onto the next shooting/explosive bit.

Each to their own though.
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Oct 2011, 14:42

rbt2 wrote:Don't mind 'em meself.
The longer the better as far as I is concerned.

Gives me a chance to have a real big turn ahhhhhhht on the khazi*

*real big turn ahhhhhhht on the khazi = a right big s**t and a good clear ahhhhhhhhhhhht in the bumhole dept*

*A good clear ahhhhhhhhhhhhht in the bumhole dept = a right good clear ahhhhhhhhhhhht in the bumhole 'department'.

You clearly need this up and coming holiday :mrgreen:

My most recent cut scene fury was with Gears 3 where most of the cut scenes were just after a check point so whn me and some chums were 4 player co-oping it on hardcore there was more than one occassion when I got rather tired of seeing the same f**king cut scene again and again. Love the game though aside from that. Could be worst we could be talking about Codemasters epic loading times for pretty much every flippin' game they make :evil:

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
KK-Headcharge78 60

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Next