Battlefield 3 review scores sneak out

Your comments on our articles.

PC review scores only, with console verdicts to follow later this week

The first Battlefield 3 review scores are now live, but they're for the PC version only.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Battlefield 3 review scores sneak out

Postby StonecoldMC » 24 Oct 2011, 10:10

So, BF3 on the PC is getting favourable reviews? Quelle surprise.

I think I read right that IGN will not be releasing their review for PS3 or 360 until the Day 1 patch for the consoles goes live?

Doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence being a console Gamer, however, if your a PC Gamer, this looks like a must have.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Re: Battlefield 3 review scores sneak out

Postby Donpedro » 24 Oct 2011, 10:23

I've read the IGN review... They gave 9.5 points for the graphics (PC). Mmmm... For the PC version of RAGE, they also gave 9.5 points. I've played the PC beta @ FUll HD, ultra settings, and i could see with my own eyes that BF3 has so nice graphics, no other game ever had. And they give it a 9.5. Congrats IGN(orant)...
Donpedro 2
New user

Postby spam23 » 24 Oct 2011, 10:26

Gojjamit! No decent games for months and now there's this, Arkham City, Skyrim and Saints Row 3 all coming out at a time when I'm both broke and supposed to be saving up to buy other people things for christmas.

I think I'm going to have to get some mates together and quest deep into Gamestation, dragon shouting at the employees, tying them upside down under gargorlyes and hitting them with masssive purple dildos until they just give me the games.
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby EvilDog77 » 24 Oct 2011, 10:44

No doubt MW3 with it's age-old graphics and unchanged gameplay will yield similar review scores.
EvilDog77 51

Postby nologo » 24 Oct 2011, 11:43

EvilDog77 wrote:No doubt MW3 with it's age-old graphics and unchanged gameplay will yield similar review scores.

indeed.. MW has been using that engine longer than Valve has been using "source" ha!
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby ChotaDon » 24 Oct 2011, 13:59

According to game-trailers this game has 3 multilayer modes and a 5 hour campaign ????? PASS

I think I'll invest my money in COD since it will come with a lot more features and buy battlefield 3 when it become £20, I aint paying £40 for 3 multiplayer modes and a 5 hour campaign wtf.
ChotaDon 23

Postby Metatasian » 24 Oct 2011, 14:55

ChotaDon wrote:According to game-trailers this game has 3 multilayer modes and a 5 hour campaign ????? PASS

I think I'll invest my money in COD since it will come with a lot more features and buy battlefield 3 when it become £20, I aint paying £40 for 3 multiplayer modes and a 5 hour campaign wtf.

How old are you? 12?
Metatasian 41

Postby TheLastDodo » 24 Oct 2011, 15:01

Well Gametrailers are idiots then and you shouldn't listen to them, since there are at the very least four modes in the multiplayer (TDM, SDM, Conquest, Rush) + Hardcore variants on these modes, so that's eight modes, plus a co-op mode, so nine multiplayer modes at very least.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Monkey-d » 24 Oct 2011, 15:58

EvilDog77 wrote:No doubt MW3 with it's age-old graphics and unchanged gameplay will yield similar review scores.

I don't know if you read anything in the article, but it said that the BF forumula hasn't seen that many changes. I even think that MW3 has more gameplay changes since they have a new look at the kill streaks, weapon ranking and more.

I still play games for the gameplay and fun and thus I couldn't care less if a game doesn't have top notch graphics. Besides, everybody flames MW3 for being ugly but it just isn't. The textures are fine, a lot of detail and big scales in the singleplayer and a drawing and design style I can appreciate more than BF3's realistic and steril looks.

Both games are fun to play (altough it's still a matter of taste since I won't be playing BF3 that much) so I don't see why they couldn't get the same score.

Oh and before I forget, everybody flames on IW for being a crap studio while in fact they only made 1 crap game. And MW2 wasn't even that crappy on a technical side, the only problem is that the studio was falling apart and thus they couldn't patch the game enough.
Monkey-d 34

Postby nocturnal » 24 Oct 2011, 16:11

5 hours campeign.... really?

I don't understand why they bother making a campaign if its crap and 5 hours long. Just release the game as a multiplayer only and charge us £20 instead of £40.

If you want a better multiplayer shooter, just save your money and wait for Counter Strike: Global Offensive. It always was, and still is the best multiplayer shooter.
nocturnal 24

Postby jeffery6803 » 24 Oct 2011, 16:50

once egm became sony`s whore i stopped taking review scores into consideration the best reviews usually come when a company just starts up before they have to sell their soul and ad space
jeffery6803 31

Postby MerseyMal » 24 Oct 2011, 17:10

Any reason why you couldn't have done a review of the PC version in the meantime? It is Computer And Video Games after all!
MerseyMal 18

Postby Channel4 » 24 Oct 2011, 17:21

What's your point? BF3 on consoles won't get reviews this high. The funny thing is that even if MW3 is the greatest game ever made it probably won't get reviews this high. The other funny thing is that if COD never existed and a game came out that was exactly the same as MW3 but with a different name and developer it would probably get perfect 10s all round and vice versa for BF3.

The actual review scores are mostly irrelevant unless you work for a game company and your bonus pay for some reason depends on the metacritic score, as is strangely the norm nowadays. Anything above an 8/10 is more about circumstance and the games status than the actual quality of the game.
Channel4 38

Postby ckyleburnett » 24 Oct 2011, 23:52

Metatasian wrote:
ChotaDon wrote:According to game-trailers this game has 3 multilayer modes and a 5 hour campaign ????? PASS

How old are you? 12?

Dude/kid has obviously never played a Battlefield game. The 3 modes he refers to; conquest, rush & deathmatch have always been Battlefield. No, there are no crappy made up modes; gun game, capture the flag, sharpshooter, etc because that ISNT war and B3 is a realistic war game, not an arcade game. You have real objectives and it takes a teamwork to accomplish them. Also, may i point out that each mode plays completely different on each of the 9 maps making a total of 18 different experiences not to mention the added 5 maps that will be coming with Back to Karkland.
Go ahead and spend you 15.00 for you ripoff mappacks. I got 5bucks right now saying that COD will outsell B3, but B3 will have a better metacritic score!
ckyleburnett 23

Postby mincedbeef » 25 Oct 2011, 00:14

Donpedro wrote: I've played the PC beta @ FUll HD, ultra settings, and i could see with my own eyes that BF3 has so nice graphics, no other game ever had. And they give it a 9.5. Congrats IGN(orant)...

No you haven't. The PC beta had options to select 'Ultra' but it was actually locked at medium. The good news is that selecting 'ultra' in the retail game cranks it up a few notches and it looks and plays even better than the beta! I speak from experience as i've been playing it all night. If you have pre loaded the pc version via digital distribution i have put instructions in the pc forum to unlock it legally without breaching any terms or conditions.
mincedbeef 33

Next