to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Are console exclusives dead?

Your comments on our articles.

Debate: Multi-format games dominate the run to Christmas...

We spend a lot of time banging on about the console conflict and getting excited about the latest killer app for either side.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Are console exclusives dead?

Postby bennyt » 23 Oct 2011, 18:21

Personally no.
Its only because everyone's deciding to release their games during the run up to Xmas, that exclusives are being overshadowed.
For Xbox, there's Halo CEA and not too mention Forza 4 and Gears which have been and gone.
Kinect-Raving Rabbids, KSS2 and a few others.
PS3-Uncharted 3 .
Ninty-Skyward Sword for the wii and MK7 and SM3DL for the 3DS.

There are plenty of exclusives, perhaps more so than last year, just that there are other games coming out that offer something different aswell and keeps things fresh.

I certainly hope that exclusives are around for a while longer but i wouldn't mind if there was a future console where all games could be played on...a breed of PlayStation, Xbox something and Ninty...end all this fanboyism war thingy bob and experience great games together-ME, Uncharted, Zelda, Mario, Halo, Fable if Peter can deliver an actual decent fable for a change like 1 and 2 etc
bennyt 28

Re: Are console exclusives dead?

Postby damoxuk » 23 Oct 2011, 18:50

Who Cares? Real gamers play on all platforms and get to enjoy all games. Exclusives are just a way to sell consoles to people who can't really afford more than one games machine.

But in the run u to this years christmas only 1 exclusive looks great Uncharted 3, but Batman, BF3, MW3, Skyrim are dominant.

Skyrim easily the game i'm most interested in. Games games and more games..

Oh s**t forgot about Mario Kart and Mario for 3DS gah time to become unemployed.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby drake23 » 23 Oct 2011, 18:57

for the xbox 360 yes for the ps3 no.simples and i own both.
drake23 19

Xbox Live: carter1983
PSN ID: carterbourne

Postby apocacrux » 23 Oct 2011, 19:00

@bennyt I think you partially missed the point of the article.
It is referring to console exclusives specifically from 3rd party companies. Though, yes there were a couple this year, but not nearly as many as there have been in the past.
apocacrux 1
New user

Postby resh » 23 Oct 2011, 19:21

Did gears 3 just come out? I think it did
resh 20

Postby CJG » 23 Oct 2011, 19:39

resh wrote:Did gears 3 just come out? I think it did

As well as Forza 4, some Kinect games, and Halo CE next month.
CJG 26

Postby Fr33Kye » 23 Oct 2011, 19:52

Nah, see sony own like 16 studios. So the number of multiplatform games will increase because we will be making more and more games , but i think sony will just buy more studios, and/or we will get to a point where consoles have there respective strengths and weaknesses so exclusives are the best or only option.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Flamestrike » 23 Oct 2011, 19:57

As long as there is more than one system exclusives-3rd and 1st party-will always be relevant.

Another world beater from CVG. :lol:
Flamestrike 35

Postby gmcb007 » 23 Oct 2011, 20:32

A couple on each side is grand but when they start making exclusive DLC in multiplatform games its a problem. It's alarming how much this is beginning to grow in recent months, especially from Sony. Each platform needs their exclusives for the sake of sales.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby roll3rtoast3r » 23 Oct 2011, 20:43

drake23 wrote:for the xbox 360 yes for the ps3 no.simples and i own both.

its quite funny how you're saying that and your name is drake :mrgreen:
roll3rtoast3r 41

Xbox Live: i am
PSN ID: a little
Wii Code: bit better than you
Steam: are
Battle.net: but everyone
xFire: knows that

Postby Multiplayerking » 23 Oct 2011, 21:15

damoxuk wrote:Who Cares? Real gamers play on all platforms and get to enjoy all games. Exclusives are just a way to sell consoles to people who can't really afford more than one games machine.

But in the run u to this years christmas only 1 exclusive looks great Uncharted 3, but Batman, BF3, MW3, Skyrim are dominant.

Skyrim easily the game i'm most interested in. Games games and more games..

Oh s**t forgot about Mario Kart and Mario for 3DS gah time to become unemployed.

Not really. I could afford both consoles but feel no real need to have both. Sure it would be cool to have an Xbox too, but I don't particularly want one.

That doesn't make me not a "real gamer".
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby mincedbeef » 23 Oct 2011, 21:16

@Multiplayerking...

No, it doesn't make you not a 'real gamer' but it makes you someone who is prepared to ignore a whole library of games, some exclusive and some of the best multiplat versions available. Your call, but all console fanboys seem to go on about are the exclusives. Like someone else said, you need all systems to play the best games. End of story, that's not even debateable.

As for the 360 have less and less exclusives, surely you'd expect that wouldn't you as its going to reach its end of shelf life before the PS3, but at the same time even if there wasn't a single exclusive between now and the day the 360 got superceded by the next console, it's not a problem especially as 9/10 multiplats turn out better on that system.

If the Sony SDF want to wax-lyrical about exclusives then ulitmately, they are the ones losing out because a AAA exclusive come out about 2-3 times a year, and then they get the bum deal on multi-plats which as I said are turning out better on 360 many times more frequently. If I could only have one console then I wouldn't be choosing a PS3 based on exclusives that's for sure.
mincedbeef 33

Postby Imaduck » 23 Oct 2011, 21:25

I think there's a place for them. They're basically a showcase for a lump of hardware, they put the consoles through their paces. A company can sit down and put every second and person onto getting the best they can out of 1 lump (instead of 3 or 4). It's much more efficient, much easier and in general has led to many of the most noteworthy games of the last decade :)
I guess that means we'll always have the fanboys :| but tis a small price to pay for everyone to be catered to surely? I don't want to buy 3 consoles, or even 2 really. I tend to pick the console with the games I want and my PC, and that's more than enough. Last gen it was the PS2, this gen it was the 360, though there is a Wii in my house (who doesn't have 1?!). I'd like to see the lot of them work together more for the good of gaming but what are the chances of that ! :lol:

Back on subject, it's the same reason we have supercars. They push the limits, there's companies out there inventing new bits to fill gaps and getting the max out of what we do have, to push forwards. That tech ends up all over. If Ferrari had to build a cross-country, family-sized and farm-worthy version of every car, it'll really stifle them, limit them, waste time. Same concept with cosole exclusives.

360 games should be on PC too though, MS you bastards! :evil:
Imaduck 58

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 23 Oct 2011, 21:27

mincedbeef wrote:@Multiplayerking...

No, it doesn't make you not a 'real gamer' but it makes you someone who is prepared to ignore a whole library of games, some exclusive and some of the best multiplat versions available. Your call, but all console fanboys seem to go on about
are the exclusives. Like someone else said, you need all systems to play the best games. End of story, that's not even debateable.

But it's the 3rd party game's that are the best this gen. Seriously I don't see any point in having both consoles unless you're working part time or really only plays exclusives. I just recently got rid of my 360 again because I simply haven't got the time to play both.

If you have a 360 my advice keep just the 360 yes you will miss out on some great exclusives but the 3rd software is leagues ahead this gen imo.

If you have a PS3 just keep the PS3 yes you will miss out on some great exclusives but the 3rd software is leagues ahead this gen imo.

If you don't have either just pick which one has your preferred Pad and if you just only want to game online then get a 360 otherwise which ever pad and which ever exclusives you prefer.

Whats the f**king point in having numerous systems if one system has more games than you can possibly keep up with? If you can keep up and have s**t loads of time spare then get them all as they all offer truly great exclusives.
Last edited by Mmmmgrolsch on 23 Oct 2011, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby apocacrux » 23 Oct 2011, 21:48

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:
mincedbeef wrote:@Multiplayerking...

Whats the f**king point in having numerous systems if one system has more games than you can possibly keep up with? If you can keep up and have s**t loads of time spare then get them all as they all offer truly great exclusives.

I couldn't agree more, if you are going to school or working full time and not in the gaming journalism than there is a slim chance you have time to play all exclusives as well as all third party games on every console. I should know, I own all three and hardly have time just to beat my 360 games.
apocacrux 1
New user

Next