to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Will the November 2011 release crush hurt gaming?

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: John Dean thinks games publishers are taking massive risks with our cash...

2011 is without a doubt one of the greatest years that gaming's ever seen. Anyone with a niche interest has likely found something wonderful to tickle their fancy already, and some of the year's biggest hitters haven't even arrived.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby justforkicks101 » 19 Oct 2011, 15:03

its going to hurt my wallet
Im Playing tons of Planetside 2 with
Rock Planet Shotgun, on Miller, Join us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
justforkicks101 65

Xbox Live: jfk101
PSN ID: jfk101
Steam: jfk101
xFire: justforkicks101

Postby RustySpoon80 » 19 Oct 2011, 15:06

I've already missed Deus Ex so far and will probably miss Batman. I have BF3 pre-ordered & will get MW3 on release. Then Skyrim for xmas. Those 3 games alone will chew up hundreds on hours.
I'd like to fit in Rage, Metal Gear HD, God of War HD2, Ico HD, Silent Hill + others Im probably missing. But there is no way I can play them all.
RustySpoon80 54

Postby richardr » 19 Oct 2011, 15:10

A good article John and as Will mentions above yes it's going to be a wallet hurter.

From my point of view, I tend to buy one game at a time, to ensure I play it and don't get distracted by another newer shinier one. So I will be first getting Assassin Creed, as I love the games series to date, and also my girlfriend likes playing them. That fact alone makes it better to get as if she can also play then it means less nagtime.

Afterwards I'll check out Skyrim, Batman and Saints Row, and you know what? I'll be the winner. These games after this wait will be cheaper first hand, or even be available second hand. The pre-Christmas crush is basically designed for kids and their Christmas list for their parents, so they'll get three or four game at once. I'm 31 so I get one yuletide game. If I'm lucky.

I can't help but feel that maybe Deus Ex perhaps benefited from releasing in a game-free void where it was the only real new game of note. Maybe more publishers should take notice of that.
richardr 12

Re: Will the November 2011 release crush hurt gaming?

Postby ricflair » 19 Oct 2011, 15:13

They're nearly all bloody sequels. I don't care if any of Ubi, Bethesda, Sony, EA, MS, Activision etc etc lose out. They're all pretty much selling reskinned games from a year or two ago, with the exception of Skyrim as it's been ages since Oblivion.

It's not like they've taken risks releasing new IPs in this window. In fact I hope the yearly updated games actually fail, but they won't.
Woo
ricflair 75

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby charliecheswick » 19 Oct 2011, 15:15

Great read that was. I think there's something for everyone being released before Christmas but i also think some games wont do as well as expected because of the avalanche of goodness. Would really like a few of the new releases but,from next week til way into the new year,BF3 and Zelda SS will be hogging all my game time. Still,hopefully some of the prices will have dropped and i'll pick up some gems when the time allows.
charliecheswick 45

Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby stickyfiddle » 19 Oct 2011, 15:18

As the above guys have said. There are just too many games coming out in the next 8 weeks.

Add Skyward Sword & UC3 to the list too..

And yet there were several weeks over the summer where not a single big game came out. I know that a lot of these won't have been finished in July, but still.

The reality is that most casuals will buy Fifa/ProEvo, MW3 and maybe one other. I currently have about 10 games I'd like over the next 6 weeks. But I know that I won't buy more than 2 or 3 of them (likely Skyrim & Batman, POSSIBLY MW3 or BF3 depending on what appears most on my friend list). After xmas, because most of the others will have sold comparatively fewer I'll go out and pick up MGSHD, Ico HD, Zelda, Batman, UC3.. and spend far less money, but I'm still not convinced I'll actually have time for all of those this side of NEXT christmas. I still haven't picked up Dead Space 2 and I'm not half way through Deus Ex yet either
stickyfiddle 38

PSN ID: stickyfiddle

Postby jim2wheels » 19 Oct 2011, 15:18

The industry will feel it even more if they manage to squeeze out used game sales with all this one time pass activation malarky. I for one would like to see them get an idea of exactly what they're in for if they keep on pushing the consumer to breaking point.
jim2wheels 67

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby stickyfiddle » 19 Oct 2011, 15:22

jim2wheels wrote:The industry will feel it even more if they manage to squeeze out used game sales with all this one time pass activation malarky. I for one would like to see them get an idea of exactly what they're in for if they keep on pushing the consumer to breaking point.

Damn right. Between DLC announced before the game is released, online codes just to get the game you've already paid for and EXTORTIONATE prices if you buy direct from PSN/XBL it's getting silly.

I'm genuinely surprised no publisher has thought of trying a buy-back scheme
stickyfiddle 38

PSN ID: stickyfiddle

Postby Legendeer » 19 Oct 2011, 15:22

Sonic Generations and Uncharted 3 won my final quarter funds.

Deus Ex and resistance 3 narrowly lost out to Team ICO HD for the early purchase too =(

Its just harsh considering the only other game i've pre-ordered this year was Portal 2 and pokemon waaaaay back then.
Legendeer 44

Steam: Legendeer

Postby extracurricular » 19 Oct 2011, 15:24

So true, same every year. I end up buying all the new games and they sit on the shelf unfinished until I get chance to play them but by that point there are MORE games coming out.
After the BF3 beta I decided to only buy one shooter this year (mw3) and pick up BF3 after xmas. A first for me but there's no way I've got time to play two FPS, skyrim, uncharted 3, AC-revelations, Batman AC, Zelda, Mario 3D world, MGS, RE, etc in two months. Then as soon as xmas is over Final Fantasy rolls into town to steal weeks of my life!
extracurricular 34

Postby brookie_2001 » 19 Oct 2011, 15:27

It isn't that bad.
I think the year GH: World Tour came out really hurt my wallet. I think i remember that was £150 alone and then on top of that we had a selection of games out in the space of two months. I think i spent near £400 then. This time i think i haven't spent nearly as much.

Some of the games Sonic Generations, BF3, i will put on the xmas list.
brookie_2001 62

Postby veato » 19 Oct 2011, 15:31

There are too many new (good) games coming out. I've yet to play my copy of Deus Ex, hardly touched F1 2011 as well as not buying some of this years other releases (LA Noire, Crysis 2, etc). Now I've got to decide on Skyrim, UC3, BF3, MW3, Batman..... argghhhhh
What I'm Playing Most: GTAV (PS3) / Titanfall (XBO) / SimCity (Mac/PC) / Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

BLOG
veato 47

Xbox Live: veato
PSN ID: veato666
Steam: veato

Postby jim2wheels » 19 Oct 2011, 15:32

stickyfiddle wrote:
jim2wheels wrote:The industry will feel it even more if they manage to squeeze out used game sales with all this one time pass activation malarky. I for one would like to see them get an idea of exactly what they're in for if they keep on pushing the consumer to breaking point.

Damn right. Between DLC announced before the game is released, online codes just to get the game you've already paid for and EXTORTIONATE prices if you buy direct from PSN/XBL it's getting silly.

I'm genuinely surprised no publisher has thought of trying a buy-back scheme

By the time they realise how tight they've been grasping our metaphorical gaming necks, it will be too late.
jim2wheels 67

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby AvatarIII » 19 Oct 2011, 15:36

deus ex is less than 2 months old and I have picked it up the other day for £17 for PS3, that's at least £2 less than the RRP of platinum titles, and nonpreowned games very rarely drop below £10, i only didn't buy it on release because i felt it was one too many new games i planned on buying in that part of the year, and I'm not even going to have time to play it any time soon, since I'm getting Batman and Uncharted, but I figure I can play it when I have finished with those, not only does that mean Square got only a tiny amount of money from my purchase of a almost brand new game, but games that I might have taken a chance with later in the year or early next year are less likely to get a sale out of me, because I'm already overburdened with games I already really want to play.

it's a shame that companies are losing out but it seems like an unfortunate coincidence, what can they do about it?

PSN ID: AvatarIII
Steam: AvatarIII

Postby dwhlufc » 19 Oct 2011, 15:38

Ice learnt my lesson the hard way,year after tear I bought 4 or 5 titles brand new and never touched them for months after only to see them at least half the price I paid.So I'll be buying Incharted 3 and I already have PES so that will jeep me happy well into next year.

dwhlufc 74

Next