to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Peter Moore responds to 'Origin sucks!' heckle

Your comments on our articles.

EA "innovating in areas that are unusual for gamers", some fans don't "get it" yet

EA's Peter Moore has responded to a heckler who shouted "Origin sucks!" during the COO's keynote at last weekend's EB Games Expo in Australia.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Peter Moore responds to 'Origin sucks!' heckle

Postby spam23 » 19 Oct 2011, 10:18

So why doesn't it suck?
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Re: Peter Moore responds to 'Origin sucks!' heckle

Postby pRM8 » 19 Oct 2011, 11:01

People do get it, they are just so stuck up Steams ass they cant seem to be open to the fact that competition is a good thing and that Origin is in its infancy compared to it.

Yeah, it isn't the greatest piece of software out there (neither was Steam when first released) and its obviously not as feature packed as Steam is but it does what its designed to do without any problems (for me anyway). EA will obviously add more function/features to it in the future and I wouldn't be surprised if they copied a few of Steam's along the way.

I love Steam, I have over £1,000 worth of games/content on it and I'm pre-loading FM12 as I type this but I still want to see what Origin will bring to the table. Its funny looking back now but when Valve launched Steam all those years ago it got a s**t load of flak, very much like Origin is getting and look at Steam now :D
Avoiding Destruction Since 1982...
The CVG Player strikes again!
pRM8 60

Postby richardgeefe » 19 Oct 2011, 11:14

actually he didn't really prove the guy wrong. all he said was five million people use it and it's still early days. he didn't say it doesn't suck and he didn't explain WHY it doesn't suck. Johnny English sucked but enough people went to see that to make it number 1 at the box office.
richardgeefe 22

Postby Headsrinker » 19 Oct 2011, 11:17

Well i've been very impressed with Origin. I Love steam, dont get me wrong, but as already mentioned, competition is GOOD. Come on you Steam lovers, get a bit of adultery in your lives! :wink:
Headsrinker 49

Steam: TheHeadshrinker

Postby KesMonkey » 19 Oct 2011, 11:41

pRM8 wrote:People do get it, they are just so stuck up Steams ass they cant seem to be open to the fact that competition is a good thing and that Origin is in its infancy compared to it.

Exactly.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 61

Postby Drusus » 19 Oct 2011, 12:29

Yeah it's in it's infancy and competition is good but...

Origin sucks, it really does, also I'd like to see how good competition could possibly lower Steam's prices.
Drusus 57

Postby Metatasian » 19 Oct 2011, 12:36

I think origin is not too bad actually, although I havent bought any games from there so far, prices seem a bit high, surely digital distribution should be cheaper as there are no overheads with regards to packaging.
Metatasian 39

Postby beemoh » 19 Oct 2011, 13:40

>so we just convinced him over 35 minutes why it actually doesn't suck.

With bats and fists?
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59

Postby jdkoke » 19 Oct 2011, 15:27

Drusus wrote:Yeah it's in it's infancy and competition is good but...

Origin sucks, it really does, also I'd like to see how good competition could possibly lower Steam's prices.

I hae to agree like. The layout, EA's account system, broken find friends features etc mean for me at the moment Origin sucks donkey balls. If it gets better then good I'll be happy as I'm forced to use it - and will keep using it for ME3, SW:TOR, Battlefield etc regardless - but it's s**t now. In my opinion anyway.
Oh and the people that go on about people liking Steam blah blah and it wis crap to start with, it's nae now so am I allowed to say I love Steam and really don't like Origin? Or does that just mean, fit wis it, my heads up my ass or Steams ass or someones rectal passage anyway??
Everytime there's an article about Origin I hear the same crap about Steam and folk that use it over and over again :roll:
jdkoke 43

Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Postby LisVender » 19 Oct 2011, 19:22

I love Valve's games, but I don't like Steam at all. If Origin is supposedly worse than Steam, then maybe there is something to the heckling.

Also, if you have to admit that your product needs time to develop before it will win you over, you probably shouldn't have released it yet.
LisVender 18

Postby Mastermue » 19 Oct 2011, 22:06

It sucks because it steals the information from your pc which is then sold on to marketing companies. If you're happy with that then fine. It won't be touching my pc though.
FYI, Steam does the same thing, but there is an opt out option. Origin won't let you opt out.

*edit* If you don't believe me, read the full terms and conditions which you agree to...carefully.
I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
Mastermue 52

Postby nathar » 20 Oct 2011, 10:40

5 million users a day? With that EULA? The one that can cancel your account? The one that can share, send and sell your personal details to third parties? Really?

I think you may be manipulating the figures there, Peter. I didnt sign up for Origin, but I did recieve the email telling me that my EA log-in was now magically an Origin account so Im going to assume what you meant was that 5 million people a day play games that involve a forced log-in to EA, because that makes you appear less of a mental.
nathar 47

Postby Critical Bill » 05 Nov 2011, 00:27

All of you "Origin isn't so bad" folks are missing the point. That point being, I purchased a game and all I want to do is play the game I bought. If I want to socialize, I'll go to Facebook or the equivelent. If I want to chat with my friends I'll use an IM client or text them. If I want to talk to friends, I'll use Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Skype or my phone. If I want to purchase the latest game I'll go to Newegg and order it. If I can't wait the 2 or 3 days for it to be delivered, I'll go to a brick and mortar to buy. If I need the latest patch for a game, I'll Google The games name and the word "patch" and within 5 or 10 seconds I have the required patch.
I do not have a Steam account, don't want one, don't need one. I do not care what they have to offer. I do not want or need an Origin account...unless I want to actually play the game for which I just spent $60.
That leaves just one reason for the kind of bullshit program that Origin is...spyware. Collecting personal info to sell or to spam me. No thanks.
If EA want's their own little chat, IM, voip, distribution client, that's fine, just don't make it stand between me and the game I just spent MY money on.
Mr. Moore, with all due respect...you and EA can go out and f**k your selves.
Critical Bill 1
New user