to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Saints Row: The Third: Pure, ridiculous fun

Your comments on our articles.

Malice in wonderland

We could start with the dictionary definition of fun, but that's not very Saints Row, is it? Not unless this particular dictionary flips you a V-sign before launching out of a cannon, writing the words over the clouds, parachuting back down with a prostitute and landing in a penthouse. That explodes.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby IplayVideogames » 07 Oct 2011, 19:50

Sounds like the videogame equivalent of Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO :P
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Postby IplayVideogames » 07 Oct 2011, 19:52

Sounds like the videogame equivalent of Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO :P
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Re: Saints Row: The Third: Pure, ridiculous fun

Postby gmcb007 » 07 Oct 2011, 20:49

Very good read! You hit the nail on the head about fun.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby spam23 » 07 Oct 2011, 21:41

I totally agree, there's not enough mental, balls out, juvenile, purile 'do what you want because it feels good' type games out there, I can't wait to have a little fun with the teenage boy inside me. wait, that came out wrong... lol
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby lonewolf2002 » 08 Oct 2011, 11:01

spam23 wrote:I totally agree, there's not enough mental, balls out, juvenile, purile 'do what you want because it feels good' type games out there, I can't wait to have a little fun with the teenage boy inside me. wait, that came out wrong... lol

What the teenage boy or what you said? :twisted:
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby jester00773 » 08 Oct 2011, 22:52

And how long are people going to find farting, and sticking 2 fingers up at people funny and entertaining? 2 hours tops? This game is just too stupid.
jester00773 15

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 09 Oct 2011, 00:20

I think I'm going to enjoy SR3's humourous gameplay for longer than two hours.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby SavageEvil » 09 Oct 2011, 05:46

jester00773 wrote:And how long are people going to find farting, and sticking 2 fingers up at people funny and entertaining? 2 hours tops? This game is just too stupid.

Hey look its the morally correct police. Give it a rest buddy, games are entertainment some like a wide range of games. Those individuals tend to enjoy their games the most as they like a myriad of things. You don't like it, you don't buy it. I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to do in SRTT than farting and poking fingers...the nerve of people. Just because you don't care for it, doesn't make it wrong for others to.

I aim to play this game as I much enjoyed SR2, that game was hilarity. Those protection missions were incredibly funny, tossing people over roof tops, into helicopter blades and all sorts of manner of deadly machinery. This game looks like it will be the best in the series.
SavageEvil 51

Postby budge » 09 Oct 2011, 18:05

This is going to be my light relief inbetween shouting at dragons, silent killing in old Turkey and banter with Elaine. I can't wait until November. :D
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby jester00773 » 12 Oct 2011, 17:17

SavageEvil wrote:
jester00773 wrote:And how long are people going to find farting, and sticking 2 fingers up at people funny and entertaining? 2 hours tops? This game is just too stupid.

Hey look its the morally correct police. Give it a rest buddy, games are entertainment some like a wide range of games. Those individuals tend to enjoy their games the most as they like a myriad of things. You don't like it, you don't buy it. I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to do in SRTT than farting and poking fingers...the nerve of people. Just because you don't care for it, doesn't make it wrong for others to.

I aim to play this game as I much enjoyed SR2, that game was hilarity. Those protection missions were incredibly funny, tossing people over roof tops, into helicopter blades and all sorts of manner of deadly machinery. This game looks like it will be the best in the series.

First point, why does it make me "the morrally correct police" because i find something stupid? What has been "morrally correct2 got to do with it? You do know what morrally correct means dont you? I think you should go look it up.
Did i say at any point that all there were to do in the game is farting and poking fingers? No
Where did i say that because i dont like it then its wrong for other people to? Again, i didnt.
You also say "I aim to play this game as I much enjoyed SR2, that game was hilarity." Good for you!
jester00773 15

Postby trail mix boy » 22 Oct 2011, 06:09

There can't be a single ethnic group it doesn't lampoon, while no stereotype is left unused. Come release, untold millions of innocent virtual citizens are going to come to a very messy and violent end indeed. And so what?

Funny games are few enough. Games where the humour is authored by the player are even thinner on the ground. SRTT is as important for the industry as Heavy Rain, because gaming has to be ridiculous as well as sublime. We're naturally inclined to value high-minded projects over ones that appeal to more basic instincts, and to some extent we're even hypocritical about what we enjoy.

When the game is criticised for its concept, in one sense it's gaming that's being commented on - base humour and an appeal to destructive impulses are dismissed, even within the industry, as childish and stupid. Escapism is fine, apparently, as long as you don't have too much fun doing it or - perish the thought - do things that wouldn't be appropriate in real life.

The real world is often a lousy place, though. There are wars everywhere, endless economic woes, panic on the streets of London, and hangovers get worse as you get older. Indulging your inner child is simply one way of staying sane, and when we get right down to brass tacks, nothing in Saints Row is as crass as real American politics.

Why shouldn't games be about massacring the populations of virtual cities? They're not real. Who could pass by a stack of dominoes without thinking about toppling them? The greatest compliment you can pay Saints Row The Third is that the GTA comparison, so easy to reach for, no longer feels relevant.

Does this guy even realize how nuts this sounds? This poster seems to heavily imply that killing pixels that clearly resemble people is right. Most gamers that play SR say that people complain about killing virtual people, yes they are virtual, but they still resemble people, they look like people, they talk like people, they bleed like people. It doesnt matter if theyre pixels or not. And since when is a fictional city make this any less wrong? I hope they make a game like this set in a real city like NY or LA and see how that works out. And no, dont change anything, not the name, not the names of cops or stores..

And before people get their panties in a twist, no, Im not that stupid politically correct, Jack Thompson supporting moronic person. However, I believe there's a fine line between violent fun and just plain wrong. SR3 seems to be heading in the latter. The first Saints Row was fine, fun yet tame, SR2 started getting over the top and ultraviolent, and now in SR3 we have the ability to launch people out of a cannon at a high velocity straight at a wall, and smack people with dildos.

Does this sound fun in context, yes, but the way it looks is just too immersive, too real looking. Not to mention, there are nice people in these games, not just corrupt ones as the stereotype goes, and it sickens me people find killing a nice dude ok.

Knock down the immersion, maybe by keeping stuff generic, unnamed, and make the people complete douchebags, and its justified..
trail mix boy 6

Postby Flamestrike » 22 Oct 2011, 09:32

Given that I'm still playing Saints 2 online and have been through the story several times and given that 2 doesn't have half of what's going on in 3, I'd say a few years.

I like to play my games, not do half of a game then trade it in for a new one then repeat the process again. I'm a bit old fashioned like that.
Flamestrike 35

Postby TheLastDodo » 22 Oct 2011, 14:35

Wow some people really have a problem with this game :lol:.

Here's an idea: Don't like the sound of it? Then don't play it.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Flamestrike » 23 Oct 2011, 14:15

trail mix boy wrote:
Does this guy even realize how nuts this sounds? This poster seems to heavily imply that killing pixels that clearly resemble people is right. Most gamers that play SR say that people complain about killing virtual people, yes they are virtual, but they still resemble people, they look like people, they talk like people, they bleed like people. It doesnt matter if theyre pixels or not. And since when is a fictional city make this any less wrong? I hope they make a game like this set in a real city like NY or LA and see how that works out. And no, dont change anything, not the name, not the names of cops or stores..

And before people get their panties in a twist, no, Im not that stupid politically correct, Jack Thompson supporting moronic person. However, I believe there's a fine line between violent fun and just plain wrong. SR3 seems to be heading in the latter. The first Saints Row was fine, fun yet tame, SR2 started getting over the top and ultraviolent, and now in SR3 we have the ability to launch people out of a cannon at a high velocity straight at a wall, and smack people with dildos.

Does this sound fun in context, yes, but the way it looks is just too immersive, too real looking. Not to mention, there are nice people in these games, not just corrupt ones as the stereotype goes, and it sickens me people find killing a nice dude ok.

Knock down the immersion, maybe by keeping stuff generic, unnamed, and make the people complete douchebags, and its justified..

My word, I cannot actually believe the utter crap I just read.

It's moronic fools like you that are the problem spouting rubbish like the above, not Saints Row, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or the Marilyn Manson music video.
Flamestrike 35

Postby trail mix boy » 23 Oct 2011, 18:25

Flamestrike wrote:
trail mix boy wrote:

My word, I cannot actually believe the utter crap I just read.

It's moronic fools like you that are the problem spouting rubbish like the above, not Saints Row, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or the Marilyn Manson music video.

what, is there a problem with people who dont support the murder of people (or the representation of people) who dont deserve the kinds of deaths they get? Shooting people with guns and running them over is one thing, but shooting people,running them over, chainsawing, blowing up, and reviving them just to do the same thing again is another.

Im not trying to sound like a hater, but what I've heard from people who want SRTheThird makes me question if they made it past the fifth grade.

I tried to keep what I said in a logical, reasonable manner. Theres no reason to spout out pisspoor reviews on what people think.
trail mix boy 6

Next