to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Final Fantasy VII: Why it's an unbeatable RPG

Your comments on our articles.

A look back at Square Enix's finest fantasy...

About halfway through Final Fantasy VII's first disc you find yourself entering a squat thrust competition with a wrestler.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Final Fantasy VII: Why it's an unbeatable RPG

Postby Zanasea » 12 Sep 2011, 20:11

Too much nostalgia is harmful. Let's not look back, please.
Zanasea 24

Re: Final Fantasy VII: Why it's an unbeatable RPG

Postby Blue Odeyssey » 12 Sep 2011, 20:26

Its good but its certainly not the best, IX was the ultimate FF experience to be found on the PS1. I suppose I should give dues to VII as it provided the foundation for Square to create IX.
Blue Odeyssey 30

Postby MrPirtniw » 12 Sep 2011, 20:56

Easily my favourite FF- probably due to it having the biggest impact on my gaming life what with ol' Aeris biting the big one. A great story a (mostly) great cast of characters- with a memorable bad guy (very important) and a great battle system. Then Square released 8 and dumped on the series from a tremendous height. From then on the others have ranged from ok to out and out poop which is why I hope 7 doesn't get remade- after the cancer inducing Advent Children making me want to set fire to the DVD, I know Square would balls it up.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Channel4 » 12 Sep 2011, 21:02

I played it for the first time when it was released on PSN. I thouroughly enjoyed it but I have to say it's the music that really holds it together. Quite a lot of the characters and story would have just been too ridiculous to accept and enjoy if the music wasn't so good. It manages to feel epic and personal without being overly melodramatic. It also gets away with some bad dialogue by just having music instead of voice acting, but I suppose that just adds to it's charm. I do think it's the best of the three PS1 FFs. VIII is clearly unfinished despite having some very good moments and I thought IX's battle system was too simple and the story wasn't very interesting apart from Vivi.

FFVII is a game that makes me slightly annoyed at how stories are being used in games these days though. They either seem to have stupidly long cutscenes or they try to tell you everything during gameplay so you either constantly have somebody in your ear or you have to read loads of "intel" to find out anything. Very few games do it right and even fewer have stories worth listening to anyway. Even a game as old as FFVII perfectly balanced telling a story with playing the game. It introduced the characters and setting while you played the game and it didn't hold your hand too much while doing it, all with only a ten second cutscene as an intro. The Uncharted games also do this well, the first two each have a short cutscene that piques your interest in the characters and story and then your dropped straight into action.
Channel4 38

Postby monty_79 » 12 Sep 2011, 21:24

I agree. This was the only one which got everything spot on. 9 even though it was very very good, had a bit of a basic combat system as said above. 8 was good in places, but could actually get really rather dull and Squall was just one of the most annoying characters who I couldn't relate too; which was a pity because he was brilliantly designed and pretty stylish.

7 was amazing as I really did feel a range of emotions with it. I almost felt like I was sitting there with the team when they were gathered around the fire at cosmo canyon, shed a tear for Aries and felt quite bleak when searching for the white materia underwater). Also, the music in that game was simply sublime. I would argue that the music in it is the best ever recorded for a video game (with the only possible exception being Lumines).

Brilliant game. Please don't remake it Square, as I simply don't trust you now to do a good job of it.
monty_79 57

Postby flash501 » 12 Sep 2011, 21:26

One of the greatest games ever made. I didn't have a clue what to expect when I first got it, and to be totally honest, I was a little disappointed with it for the first hour or so but by Christ was I happy I stuck with it. The music, the enemies, the locations, absolutely everything was just perfect. God knows how many times I've replayed it over the years!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby flash501 » 12 Sep 2011, 21:28

monty_79 wrote:Brilliant game. Please don't remake it Square, as I simply don't trust you now to do a good job of it.

One hundred, million percent, THIS!!!!!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby lordirongut » 12 Sep 2011, 21:29

I'm inclined to agree. I haven't played ol' VII in a while, and while I've hovered between VI, VII and IX in the past over the title of best FF, just being reminded of a few of those moments - Aerith's death, putting in Materia, some of those summons... Maybe I've swung back into VII's spectacular arms.

The only real problem with it today is that it's so popular it's become cool to hate. This article is a refreshing change from the hate and crushing cynicism that usually plagues anything FFVII-related on the internet.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 67

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby thirdwatch » 12 Sep 2011, 21:46

My friends and I all still love this game and we all have enduring memories of the various betrayals, great music, battles and hunger pains from having played it all day and forgotten to eat.

It's a pity the only one I've enjoyed since then was number 10 which also had great music, characters, story and beautiful scenery. That I must admit I played blitzball almost as much as the min story until Tidus was so good he could score from the halfway line.
thirdwatch 22

Postby STE MO » 12 Sep 2011, 23:06

What do you mean Aeris dies! Thanks alot you guys you've just gone and ruined some of the sub plot for me . Wankers.
STE MO 51

Postby mideonphish » 13 Sep 2011, 00:42

Final Fantasy VII for me was my first proper RPG and I have many very fond memories of it.

An all around video gaming masterpiece if you ask me.
(BTW the materia used for all offensive and healing magic in game was green and not red, I think you'll find that was
the summon materia).
As for my view on a re-release I would not like to see it brought up to date as I'm not sure Square would do it right.
mideonphish 9

Postby jeffery6803 » 13 Sep 2011, 00:54

this game was great but the best rpg i ever played was breath of fire dragon quarter probably no sequel wil be made but a series that held it`s own with FF and dragon quest the best final fantasy i played was final fantasy 2 at that time for the snes will always remember that game with a honorable mention of FF mystic quest for just being pure fun
jeffery6803 31

Postby Samildanach » 13 Sep 2011, 02:11

I'm so far surprised that nobodies said that FFVI was better because the FF series was still fairly niche back then until the brilliant(for the day)adverts of the CG cutscenes made everyone think the game actually looked like that and everyone and their dog went out and bought it bringing FF to the masses which automatically makes it worse than VI because more people liked it.

And I like the Advent Children movie. Good OTT action flick. Can't wait to see how FFvsXIII plays as I'd nearly bet my house that any remake of FFVII will play near enough like that.
PSN- Samildanach

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.
Samildanach 71
Global Moderator

PSN ID: Samildanach

Postby slick loose » 13 Sep 2011, 05:56

I actually do want a remake, I don't see the problem. Even if they truly f**k it up, we will always remember how amazing the original was. The problem with classics like this, is that fans don't want anything changed. A good example is MGS: Twin Snakes, where the graphics and gameplay were improved a LOT...but the fans of the original MGS say it's s**t because the voices are slightly different and Snake does a back flip...I mean come on!

Anyway, as I was saying, I'm all for a FFVII remake. :D
slick loose 68

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby MattyR95 » 13 Sep 2011, 07:49

slick loose wrote:I actually do want a remake, I don't see the problem. Even if they truly f**k it up, we will always remember how amazing the original was. The problem with classics like this, is that fans don't want anything changed. A good example is MGS: Twin Snakes, where the graphics and gameplay were improved a LOT...but the fans of the original MGS say it's s**t because the voices are slightly different and Snake does a back flip...I mean come on!

Anyway, as I was saying, I'm all for a FFVII remake. :D

Snake doesn't do back-flips!!!!!!!!!! :lol: The change in gameplay messed up some parts of the game like the psycho mantis fight. Things like that is what people need to look out for when they're remaking their games.
MattyR95 54

Next