to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo's Aonuma drops next-gen Zelda hints

Your comments on our articles.

Series overlord looking to "take advantage" of console's power

Zelda overlord Eiji Aonuma has dropped more hints as to the direction Nintendo will take the series on its next-gen console, Wii U.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Nintendo's Aonuma drops next-gen Zelda hints

Postby TOKEN » 12 Sep 2011, 11:57

It would be nice to know full spec besides 4870 GPU
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Re: Nintendo's Aonuma drops next-gen Zelda hints

Postby AJDarkstar » 12 Sep 2011, 13:02

Dear Nintendo, I love your games dearly and the DS and Wii were amazing consoles, though I do wish we had seen some new F-Zero and Star Fox on Wii and perhaps a new play control Wind Waker, and though I enjoyed the 3DS you messed up the launch to rush the hardware out. Please make sure the Wii U is ready before you launch it, the rumblings from developers over inefficient wireless communications between the console and the controller are somewhat worrying. Put a decent chipset in it and substantial RAM and I'm sure it'll be amazing.
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby The_Jaster » 12 Sep 2011, 13:57

Someone is certain that Nintendo reads CVG. :)
"who gives a f**k about an Oxford comma" certainly not saswatch
The_Jaster 61

PSN ID: Shaolin_Jaster
Wii Code: 5818-5057-5763-4098
Steam: ShaolinJaster
xFire: 3DS FC: 4081- 5482 - 6750

Postby ste hicky » 12 Sep 2011, 14:46

Dear Nintendo, take your time. No worry's here. as long as you don't launch an unfinished console and make sure to iron any problems out pre launch without removing features like ps3 or rushing shoddy hardware out like 360, things will be fine.
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
ste hicky 64

Postby Laughlyn » 12 Sep 2011, 15:17

My faith has been dwindling in Nintendo in recent times and Wii U hasnt really done too much to start creeping it back up, afterall what makes it unique can soon be done with PSP2 and PS3, cant shake that feeling of missing the party.
Its probably gonan be worth buying for the First party games but majority of mates have a ps3 so they're gonna be playing colonial marines, BF3 and other big 3rd party games on that and probably with PSP2 doing same as wii controller. with its lack of media playback theres nothing to draw a ps3 owner away from it since most folk who own a ps3 wont be that interested in Nintendo first party titles cos of the kiddified shadow the wii has cast over them. I'll bout buy one cos i've had every other nintendo console since the NES and teh first party titles will hold it up well but i still hav ethat horrid feeling in my gut that after Wii U, Nintendo may quite possibly go same way as SEGA :(
Laughlyn 55

Postby ste hicky » 12 Sep 2011, 15:48

if sega had had a gen where they sold 85 million machines and counting before the dreamcast, they'd still be in the game.

let's not forget the 100-odd million ds' nintendo have shifted in the last few years.

i'd actually say nintendo have money to burn right now and the idea that they'll go multiplat in the next 6-8 years is delusional.

people cast stones at the guy at the top, nintendo will just have to roll with it for now i feel.
ste hicky 64

Postby PMIKE5 » 12 Sep 2011, 15:58

It'd be great if the characters actually talked with voices. I know purists will argue against it, but it'd just make the game so much less 1980s.
My artwork. Hope you like it :)
My kindle comics
PMIKE5 46

Postby ste hicky » 12 Sep 2011, 16:33

no. i'm a purist though, so there you have it. :)

seriously though, i would accept nigh on everyone in the world speaking in some form, just not link.

however, i start having a problem when i imagine the deku tree spouting english: i think if nintendo go the voiced route they should look at okami for influence, maybe even something like panzer dragoon orta.
TOKEN wrote:It would be nice to know full spec besides 4870 GPU
can't give a spec sheet but according to IBM it shares architecture with the Watson Supercomputer at the CPU level.

could be great, could be gack. we'll see but it's certainly a comparison that paints it in a decent light.
Last edited by ste hicky on 12 Sep 2011, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
ste hicky 64

Postby Laughlyn » 12 Sep 2011, 18:01

ste hicky wrote:if sega had had a gen where they sold 85 million machines and counting before the dreamcast, they'd still be in the game.

let's not forget the 100-odd million ds' nintendo have shifted in the last few years.

i'd actually say nintendo have money to burn right now and the idea that they'll go multiplat in the next 6-8 years is delusional.

people cast stones at the guy at the top, nintendo will just have to roll with it for now i feel.

admittedly sega had a rough time with teh saturn failing to teh PSone and dreamcast losing out to xbox, ps2 and gamecube. Sure Nintendo have a lot of cash to burn atm but remember that nintendo have always made a profit on their machines, 3DS is first one (i think ever) to be losing money on each unit sold which is going to reduce that cash pile a lot. Development of wii U plus games is going to cost a lot and if nintendo start making losses on that then that big pile of cash they have starts getting smaller and smaller. I'm a huge nintendo fan, trust me i'd hate nothing more than see them just become a 3rd party dev/publisher but they seem to be making some very strange decisions of late (how sega went) releasing hardware too soon, announcing a machine with current gen specs near end of this gen and not only that but still not taking the hint of an all in one games/media centre, sure wii u will have streamed movies but it doesnt offer anything unique other than Nintendo games, Wii was different and unique... for a time, now everyone doing it and with Wii U sony have oppertunity to do teh same with an already established userbase, why essentially downgrad eyour hardware and lose your friendlists when for £200-£250 u can buy PSP2 (still refusing to call it vita here) and get the same experience as Wii U but with all your old mates as well as a nifty bluray player, love film/netflix for streaming, 4od, bbc Iplayer, ITV player ect?

The last time nintendo mimmicked their competitors they lost out (gamecube) its gonan be a rough time if am honest, until 3DS catalogue improves and sales pick up, but even still, they still lose money on every unit sold, stupid enough making it more difficult to use a flash cart has hindered the 3DS sales too. every other nintendo handheld has simple piracy methods and sold insanely well. at least 90% of folk i know have a DS with an R4 card, sure its impossible to see how thinhgs are gonna go, ds was a slow starter at first n look how that turned out, as for wii u. still not seen anything stand outish for to to get excited over it, which as a nintendo fan for almost 25yrs, is kinda sad for me
Laughlyn 55

Postby ste hicky » 12 Sep 2011, 18:15

at what point are nintendo mimicking man, do you mean vita that was said could copy wii u by the boss of sony after nintendo's presentation?

the techniques may be replicated elsewhere but from what i saw at e3, there'll be a lot we've never done. i also think to write nintendo off creatively is utter folly, i've heard since the snes that it's over, it's not. they are still here and they'll outlast most of us. they've carried 3 generations of home console almost single handedly and only token 3rd party support. i'm not sure they need 3rd parties, frankly.

sure. if they wanna score with the kids, it's cool for mw, bf3, etc.. to be around but the last i checked nsmbwii annihilated black ops at retail. i lost count after 25 million sales tbh. same for mario kart too.

whether they're fashionable or not is another conversation, when i was younger sega were cooler, so were atari and the amiga was a smash in europe. now ms are cooler, sony are cooler but nintendo are still here.

also, and i don't wanna sell wii u it's just an oversight people are content to make, will ps3 owners get vita out of the box with a ps3 purchase?

will it cost less than say 3 ton for a ps3, vita and compatible software?

i very much doubt it.
ste hicky 64

Postby shadowsblaze » 12 Sep 2011, 18:19

PMIKE5 wrote:It'd be great if the characters actually talked with voices. I know purists will argue against it, but it'd just make the game so much less 1980s.

They tried that with Metroid Prime: Other M and we all know how big an improvement that was. :roll:
shadowsblaze 55

Postby Laughlyn » 12 Sep 2011, 19:04

ste hicky wrote:at what point are nintendo mimicking man, do you mean vita that was said could copy wii u by the boss of sony after nintendo's presentation?

the techniques may be replicated elsewhere but from what i saw at e3, there'll be a lot we've never done. i also think to write nintendo off creatively is utter folly, i've heard since the snes that it's over, it's not. they are still here and they'll outlast most of us. they've carried 3 generations of home console almost single handedly and only token 3rd party support. i'm not sure they need 3rd parties, frankly.

sure. if they wanna score with the kids, it's cool for mw, bf3, etc.. to be around but the last i checked nsmbwii annihilated black ops at retail. i lost count after 25 million sales tbh. same for mario kart too.

whether they're fashionable or not is another conversation, when i was younger sega were cooler, so were atari and the amiga was a smash in europe. now ms are cooler, sony are cooler but nintendo are still here.

also, and i don't wanna sell wii u it's just an oversight people are content to make, will ps3 owners get vita out of the box with a ps3 purchase?

will it cost less than say 3 ton for a ps3, vita and compatible software?

i very much doubt it.

By mimmicking i mean having a console that is too similar to its competitors, with gamecube they tried to make it appeal to a broader audience by copying xbox and ps2 after the N64 was'nt as successfull as psone, sure the games on the machine are great same as gamecube, i have a stack of 50+ GC games i still go through and they are great, just a lot of them ignored by the PS2 'hardcore crowd' same as a lot of great Wii titles are ignored by 360/ps3 owners who instantly dismiss teh wii as a serious console. many times i've tried convincing mates about some Wii games for it to devolve into a bickering of Wii not being a real console.

As for Black ops not selling well, thats because when you say Call of Duty to someone they dont think 'oh yeah i'll get that on wii, it'll be loads better' its put on there as almost a sympathy vote, same as why goldeneye is being released on ps3 and 360, it just didnt sell well enough on wii, all first party games on a nintendo machine will sell like hot cakes, its a firm guarantee that a first party game will be great, even the bad ones still run rings round the competition, but third party games tend to be after thoughts. It'd be nice if things change for Wii U but the games will only be as good as the weakest link, teh 360 but since there is still a massive userbase of 360 its keeping its head above water despite being back of the pack. a CoD game on 360 will always get more sales than any othe rconsole and activision put more effort into it. PS3/PSP2 and Wii U will be able to do a vast amount of things but will developers even bother since it cant be done on the 360 and only on PS3's who have PSP2, the creativity will be lost due to deadlines and money same as rest of stuff.

Also of course PS3 users wont get it out of box, thats where i said an Existing Userbase. those who have a PS3 can spend same cash (maybe less) on a PSP2 and get same effects as Wii U but with their PS3, their same friendlists they've had for years and dont have to convince their friends to buy a Wii U. None of my mates with PS3 will buy a Wii U so i'm going to be only one with it, and other users will be same, there maybe one ghuy who liek me has had nintendo for years but been pushed into a HD machine to get a better online experience. Sure we all know what sony are like. see summat from competition and say tehy can do it (demosnstrated by teh laughable motion controls when wiimote announced) but now they've seen possiblity of the Wii U and know nintendos reputation they can start intergrating it in advance and may have upto 6month headstart on Nintendo. WE know they ripped em off but Joe Public see it on PS3 and think its great and Wii U is copying that.

U seem to have impression i'm against nintendo but i'm really not, i'm just giving a realistic viewpoint that the Wii U may have a fight on its hands. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do but with developers putting less effort into games as it is i cant really see as many developers utilising the Wii U's 'advantages' other than nintendo, who we all know will lay out some awesoem ideas but othe rcompanies simply wont bother too as they're just lazy
Laughlyn 55

Postby ste hicky » 12 Sep 2011, 20:27

y'got me wrong, when i mentioned black ops i didn't mean on wii.

no, it's far more impressive than that: i meant that nsmbwii outsold every version of black ops combined on one format or near as damn it.

people are too quick to ignore nintendo's insane sales figures of key wii titles.

even casual fare like wii sports resort topped 28 million sales in august.

from last month: To date, Nintendo has sold over 86m Wii consoles worldwide, with a colossal 716m Wii games sold since launch. Of those, the biggest-selling Nintendo titles are of course Wii Sports at 76.76m sales, Wii Play at 28.02m and Wii Sports Resort with 27.68m copies shifted so far. Three other Nintendo games have sold over 20m — Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

sony and ms would mame for those type of figures and that seems about as far from being in trouble as i could imagine a game company being man.
ste hicky 64

Postby snowdog » 12 Sep 2011, 21:00

@Laughlyn: You and a great deal of other people are seriously underestimating the power that the U is going to have. Whilst a PS3 and Vita can replicate the functionality that the U and the new controller provides the U is going to be 4 or 5 times more powerful than the PS3 by the time it launches. The PS3 and especially the 360 aren't the technical powerhouses they were 5 and 6 years ago.

From what we've had confirmed from IBM and AMD the CPU is a Power7 and the GPU is a modern Radeon HD.

The lowest spec Power7 on the market is a quad core clocked at 3.0GHz with 16Mb eDRAM. Even if it only has 3 usable cores and is underclocked to just 2.5GHz the 16Mb eDRAM and the 4 SMTs per core will run rings around the Cell.

A modern Radeon HD could mean any of the following chipsets: an r700 or rv770 (a 4000 series), an Evergreen (a 5000 series) or a Northern Islands (a 6000 series). An Evergreen chipset is the best fit (despite the rumours of a 4870 which I suspect was in an early hardware revision) because it'll be cheaper, more powerful and cooler to run than a 4000 series as well as having multidisplay (Eyefinity) support built-in. Have a look at the GPU in the 360, an X1900. It's the equivalent of a Radeon HD 2000 with 512Mb of GDDR3 shared with the system and a 128 bit bus. Have a look at the GPU in the PS3 - a Geforce 7800 GT with 256Mb of GDDR3 dedicated to it and, again, only a 128 bit bus. And both GPUs only have Shader Model 3.0 support.

Even if AMD and Nintendo only decide on a 4000 series with only 512Mb of GDDR3 (and 1Gb is more likely imo) it'll still have twice the VRAM and twice the bandwidth thanks to a 256 bit bus...and if that wasn't enough it'll also have the processing advantages and shader effects that Shader Model 4.1 provides.

The PS3 and Vita may be able to replicate the functionality of the U and the controller, but having the power to exactly replicate a U game itself with the eye candy that goes with it is a completely different kettle of fish altogether. There are going to be plenty of people very pleasantly surprised at what the U is going to be capable of compared to the aging tech inside the PS3 and 360.
snowdog 28

Postby Fr33Kye » 12 Sep 2011, 21:50

snowdog wrote:@Laughlyn: You and a great deal of other people are seriously underestimating the power that the U is going to have. Whilst a PS3 and Vita can replicate the functionality that the U and the new controller provides the U is going to be 4 or 5 times more powerful than the PS3 by the time it launches. The PS3 and especially the 360 aren't the technical powerhouses they were 5 and 6 years ago.

From what we've had confirmed from IBM and AMD the CPU is a Power7 and the GPU is a modern Radeon HD.

The lowest spec Power7 on the market is a quad core clocked at 3.0GHz with 16Mb eDRAM. Even if it only has 3 usable cores and is underclocked to just 2.5GHz the 16Mb eDRAM and the 4 SMTs per core will run rings around the Cell.

A modern Radeon HD could mean any of the following chipsets: an r700 or rv770 (a 4000 series), an Evergreen (a 5000 series) or a Northern Islands (a 6000 series). An Evergreen chipset is the best fit (despite the rumours of a 4870 which I suspect was in an early hardware revision) because it'll be cheaper, more powerful and cooler to run than a 4000 series as well as having multidisplay (Eyefinity) support built-in. Have a look at the GPU in the 360, an X1900. It's the equivalent of a Radeon HD 2000 with 512Mb of GDDR3 shared with the system and a 128 bit bus. Have a look at the GPU in the PS3 - a Geforce 7800 GT with 256Mb of GDDR3 dedicated to it and, again, only a 128 bit bus. And both GPUs only have Shader Model 3.0 support.

Even if AMD and Nintendo only decide on a 4000 series with only 512Mb of GDDR3 (and 1Gb is more likely imo) it'll still have twice the VRAM and twice the bandwidth thanks to a 256 bit bus...and if that wasn't enough it'll also have the processing advantages and shader effects that Shader Model 4.1 provides.

The PS3 and Vita may be able to replicate the functionality of the U and the controller, but having the power to exactly replicate a U game itself with the eye candy that goes with it is a completely different kettle of fish altogether. There are going to be plenty of people very pleasantly surprised at what the U is going to be capable of compared to the aging tech inside the PS3 and 360.

Vita has a processor and you can use more than one of them together. Argument is invalid.

No but really it's a f**king handheld. People don't think nintendo are in trouble because of sales or just cuz there at the top, people think nintendo are in trouble because they appear to be f**king insane.
Fr33Kye 71

Next