to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The future of video game graphics - or a load of old nonsens

Your comments on our articles.

Euclideon says games won't be the same again; Notch accuses Aussies of selling a "scam"

An Australian computer graphics company has released a video showcase of its new tech - which it claims can revolutionise the future of games software.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby adison » 05 Aug 2011, 15:23

I totally agree.
there's a time and place for everything. and this is neither the time nor the place

psn id :- Johnny_Damage_
adison 43

Postby cult » 05 Aug 2011, 15:26

Theory is excellent but how about giving us a real world example.
Take epic's samaritan put that through the converter and what do we get?
Samaritan running on this gen consoles or a zip file for a future console?
Is this the killer app for middleware?
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Re: The future of video game graphics - or a load of old non

Postby DKMFan » 05 Aug 2011, 15:29

Subtle plug:http://www.howtoplayblog.co.uk/2011/unlimited-interview/

I interviewed them.
Last edited by DKMFan on 07 Aug 2011, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
Why don't I just shut up?
My IQ is 159
DKMFan 35

Postby TheRandyNinja » 05 Aug 2011, 15:33

if what they say is true then very well done to the team and i hope the game industry jumps on board would be intresting to know what specs this would need to run on also.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby JakeyBaby » 05 Aug 2011, 15:38

Yeah, you see thats what I was thinking too...

>.>

<.<

Did anybody believe that, did I sound convincing?
JakeyBaby 32

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 05 Aug 2011, 15:38

Even if it was technically possible, there is little point in boasting about how many doo-dahs you can produce if it's still going to need a heck of horsepower behind it, if not super powered pc with the amount of semi-virtual reality nonsense this guys talking. Not just that but who the hell is going to suddenly drop current methods of development for this theoretical yet-to-be-properly-proven-in-game graphics technique? Not anywhere nearly enough to shift developer attention that's for sure.

I wouldn't go as far to say the guy is selling a scam. More like this is someone who has thought a whole lot into it but hasn't entirely looked at the reality of this sort of thing in terms of actually getting it to work flawlessly at this point in time.
Last edited by TheCrimsonFenix on 05 Aug 2011, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Toninho deZoete » 05 Aug 2011, 15:46

So.. Are the tiny little atoms made of polygons? Or wat? :D
Currently playing: Nintendoland, NSMBU, ZombiU, Mario Kart (3)DS, COD: BO2, Halo 4, Trials Evolution
Toninho deZoete 37

Xbox Live: toninho dezoete
PSN ID: bigtimetoni
Wii Code: 3485 3463 7847 3418

Postby revdogma » 05 Aug 2011, 15:48

Voxel meshes are not all that this company claims they are .. you cant really animate with them at the moment. The unfortunate fact is as well is that the "unlimited detail" is still limited by the capability of the hardware. Voxels have their place and are an exciting thing in some respects but Euclidean is claiming its crazy new tech that will change everything over night...nothing could be further from the truth. It currently is just a fancy alternative to polygons that only has a few niche uses until the tech grows. This company didn't invent voxels and it also isn't the only company (nor the first) working on the concept...

The video is nothing more then a gross over exaggeration. The only reason the island looks the way it does is because of the recycled geometry all over the place as well as the fact that there is no dynamic shadowing and NO animations....and remember its still only running at 20 frames per second. I think that says enough.

The primary use for Voxels right now is in 3D rendered post production in films. You know the scenes that take them 2 months to render.

Tessellation with DX11 is probably cheaper resource wise, and looks good enough compared to this tech demo.
Last edited by revdogma on 05 Aug 2011, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
revdogma 31

Postby KMakawa » 05 Aug 2011, 15:56

Here is a post I made at one of the EA forums I work with;

All im going to say is, there is a ton of shiney on show.

And i'd be amazed when we see things that support a fully-fledged game.

There is a big leap from "tech demo" to "polished full title", and well, think of the amount of things that are in a world within our current day games. Think on how much space that would take up if it was all atoms, ontop of that thing on what system requirements are needed for such an execution, and you will instantly realize that although this may be shiney and desirable, most of it will be out of reach by user constraints.

IE: Not everyone will have the tech to run most of it.

[saves me retyping it all] -- thats my thoughts on this engine showcase.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 64
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
Battle.net: PMforit@
xFire: iArctic

Postby charliecheswick » 05 Aug 2011, 15:58

The guy in the video sounds like Lloyd Grossman. I would like to punch him so he could feel my unlimited power.
charliecheswick 46

Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby STEVONYMO » 05 Aug 2011, 16:01

Does this mean the Holo deck is a step closer? Oooo to be able to have a computer perfect Kate Beckinsale as my bitch! :shock:
STEVONYMO 39

Postby tomshelley » 05 Aug 2011, 16:09

You can play a voxel game right now if you wish. Outcast (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/outcast) was released in 1999 using voxels. I personally didn't care for it; but there are plenty of people who really liked it.
---
boxed
tomshelley 32

Postby sonic_uk » 05 Aug 2011, 16:11

Saw this on Gametrailers a couple of nights ago. It is not "unlimited" as suggested, and just like a traditional polygon rendering engine it is still limited by the spec of the machine you're running it on (further evidence of this is the fact the resolution is very low). I also noticed a lot of missing "atoms" in the video and they weren't the "shadows errors" the narrator mentioned, they were actual missing pixels or "atoms" as I said. I also find it hard to imagine why the artist they used thought it better to render a fantasy style of world rather than a realistic one to show off what the engine renderer could really do - the only logical reason I can see why this fantasy style was chosen is because the engine is not capable of recreating the same more realistic looking results as a traditional polygon engine at this stage). As a result of all that I remain skeptical for now although maybe in a more advanced state this technology could be of more use. I think only time and further research will reveal if it is worth pursuing.
Last edited by sonic_uk on 05 Aug 2011, 16:18, edited 3 times in total.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 55

Postby dannyhulse » 05 Aug 2011, 16:13

Basically what Notch is trying to say is:

While the island is realy big and is alot more detailed that a traditional Polygonal island, if you look closely at the video most of the objects on the island are duplicates, all of them facing the same direction.

It is "Unlimited Detail" if there were like 5 different trees and 5 different rocks that all had the same light and shadows, the same colour and faced the same direction, yeah, try making a game out of that! :D :D

And even if they were to just come out and say: "we made a Voxel engine" there are much better examples, like these:

Atomontage Engine: http://www.atomontage.com/?id=gallery

Video of Atomontage Engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sfWYUgxGBE

Notch linked this video in a different blog post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkn6ubbp1SE
dannyhulse 47

Postby lordirongut » 05 Aug 2011, 16:18

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Next