to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Epic Games: Apple, hacks and Gears Of War

Your comments on our articles.

Pt 2: Our chat with industry innovator hots up...

In the first half of our giant interview with Epic Games, we touched on the company's stunning Samaritan tech demo, the prspects of it making a PC exclusive - and what the very future of interactive entertainment might look like.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic Games: Apple, hacks and Gears Of War

Postby ilovenewtech » 05 Aug 2011, 14:34

Alan: And I don't think that consumers care. All they want is the game, they don't care if they buy a disc and put it in, or download it, or play it on something like OnLive where it is essentially streaming, all they want is the game. So if we can come up with great ways to serve that, it'll work.

I am sorry to say to you kind sir but you are wrong. The majority do care and the majority want to buy physical disc's and as you said 'put it in'.

Physical discs for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 55

Re: Epic Games: Apple, hacks and Gears Of War

Postby martinawatson » 05 Aug 2011, 17:09

ilovenewtech wrote:Alan: And I don't think that consumers care. All they want is the game, they don't care if they buy a disc and put it in, or download it, or play it on something like OnLive where it is essentially streaming, all they want is the game. So if we can come up with great ways to serve that, it'll work.

I am sorry to say to you kind sir but you are wrong. The majority do care and the majority want to buy physical disc's and as you said 'put it in'.

Im not stalking you (ilovenewtech) by the way, just to say i think it depends on your age and/or you caught on to itunes early. I think young people really don't care and are far less attached to the physical than us crumblies, however i think within ten years even the most hardened of crumblie would of forgotten their attachment to physical media.

Infinity Blade is this the best looking app on itunes ? i think it might be , the combat seems to have a real weight to it, very intelligent design.

I also believe that Epic should expand there "make something unreal" competition even more, brilliant initiative however there may be ways to capitalise on Social networks etc to put even more people together who are interested in designing products using unreal, taking into account differing ability levels.

Scaleform is also a very recent and interesting addition to the Unreal engine and i definitly will be looking into this, is it just for menus/hud or would it be possible to go even deeper.

It will be interesting to see how games develop using their engine when the ipad is actually the lead platform and main consideration. It was interesting in the recent issue of Edge mag , where the xbox main man was commenting that Apple have won (and they have undoubtedly won! ) and he stated that Apple weren't even bothered until recently and they actually don't even like games anyway if the truth be known. If Apple bring out a gaming pad at some point with cloud gaming then every other console maker is going to be needing a change of trousers, i tell thee.

Cheers

PS i also love (unreal engine powered) Sanctum on steam , great little game and ive spent hours on it , really surprised at the amount of monsters on screen that the game can handle without slowing down, and sniping those giant triffid like monsters from below with their lolling heads is a pretty sublime gaming experience.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby ilovenewtech » 05 Aug 2011, 17:47

martinawatson I totaly respect your awesome point of view however I do respectfully disagree. We can not compare the digital music downloads to video game downloads. A song from iTUNES is 99p if I some how loose it it is not the end of the world but when we talk games we are looking at a much larger investment. When I have my physical it is mine to use when I want with no restrictions unlike cloud/streaming. As for kids driving this idea forward, remember parents buy games for birthday's, christmas etc. I would put to you young people would rather open a wrapped up game than a wrapped up voucher, and I have not even started with people of all ages actualy just enjoying having a large collection of games to show off to there friends. We may one day go digital but it will be much further down the road than 10 years.

I hope I did not spoile you awesomeness, I got a lot of awesomeness annd love for you my super awsome fellow forum poster!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 55

Postby martinawatson » 06 Aug 2011, 11:25

ilovenewtech wrote:martinawatson I totaly respect your awesome point of view however I do respectfully disagree. We can not compare the digital music downloads to video game downloads. A song from iTUNES is 99p if I some how loose it it is not the end of the world but when we talk games we are looking at a much larger investment. When I have my physical it is mine to use when I want with no restrictions unlike cloud/streaming. As for kids driving this idea forward, remember parents buy games for birthday's, christmas etc. I would put to you young people would rather open a wrapped up game than a wrapped up voucher, and I have not even started with people of all ages actualy just enjoying having a large collection of games to show off to there friends. We may one day go digital but it will be much further down the road than 10 years.

I hope I did not spoile you awesomeness, I got a lot of awesomeness annd love for you my super awsome fellow forum poster!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesomeness intact, in fact improved, through the power of civilised debate and listening to someone else's view my awesomeness has been quadrupled , i hope all CVG fellow forum posters now feel empowered to put their point of view across , not just on these forums but in life as they follow their own path to a destiny of joyfullness.........althou i think i was right in the first place........i mean and everything is balanced and stuff. :D :lol:
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby Yellow6 » 06 Aug 2011, 11:46

martinawatson wrote:
ilovenewtech wrote:Alan: And I don't think that consumers care. All they want is the game, they don't care if they buy a disc and put it in, or download it, or play it on something like OnLive where it is essentially streaming, all they want is the game. So if we can come up with great ways to serve that, it'll work.

Im not stalking you (ilovenewtech) by the way, just to say i think it depends on your age and/or you caught on to itunes early. I think young people really don't care and are far less attached to the physical than us crumblies, however i think within ten years even the most hardened of crumblie would of forgotten their attachment to physical media.

I have to agree with the point that kids are more likely to not care about the physical format of a game.
Unfortunately whether you want to keep your games and have physical disks or not the modern world and pressure on housing/space will impact this too.
If you are a young'un living in a big city, in a tiny room in a shared house then you will be going with the downloaded/streamed option whether you are a collector in your heart or not.
As a bit of a collector I hope the games developers keep making discs/physical copies until i'm dead and buried at least.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby ilovenewtech » 06 Aug 2011, 13:10

Awesome love to martinawatson. You shall have a king sized slice of cake!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome love to Yellow6. yo shall also have a king sized slice of cake!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome friendly debates with friends for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ilovenewtech 55

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 06 Aug 2011, 14:27

ilovenewtech is super awesome :D :D :D :D :D
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby ilovenewtech » 06 Aug 2011, 15:02

So much awesomeness and love to Very_Silver_Ownz. A lifetime full of cake and games for you my super fellow forum poster. How wonderful it is to all be feeling the love and awesomeness through the awesome CVG.

Very_Silver_Ownz for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

CVG for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ilovenewtech 55

Postby StonecoldMC » 08 Aug 2011, 10:04

To be honest, im not too fussed if a Games comes on Disc, Digital Download or Cloud Based like OnLive.

I just like good Games :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Yellow6 » 08 Aug 2011, 10:27

ilovenewtech wrote:Awesome love to martinawatson. You shall have a king sized slice of cake!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome love to Yellow6. yo shall also have a king sized slice of cake!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome friendly debates with friends for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Funny you should say that coz I did have a caramel round cake all to myself on the weekend.
I spread it over Friday and Saturday as I couldn't manage it all in one go, despite my best efforts :lol:
I don't think I'll be doing that again for a while though :oops:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby cult » 08 Aug 2011, 11:05

I left a cake in here... who's effin had it.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby ilovenewtech » 08 Aug 2011, 11:47

cult wrote:I left a cake in here... who's effin had it.

Here have a piece of super awesome happy cake and a hug.!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hugs and awesoome cake for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ilovenewtech 55

Postby bazz2k » 08 Aug 2011, 17:44

Wtf, have I walked in to a gay gang bang or something? Get a room gays!
bazz2k 42

PSN ID: QuagmireUK

Postby ilovenewtech » 08 Aug 2011, 18:29

bazz2k wrote:Wtf, have I walked in to a gay gang bang or something? Get a room gays!

bazz2k do you need a awesome cuddle and a awesome piece of cake. Feel the awesome love flowing my awesome fellow forum poster!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome cuddles for everyone!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome cake for everybody!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ilovenewtech 55