to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

id has 'definitely struggled' with console latency vs PC, bu

Your comments on our articles.

Pad input has proved troublesome, says studio - but id Tech 5 saves the day

id has told CVG that it has "struggled" with input latency on console during the development of Rage - but that the game is now running "really fast" on all systems.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

id has 'definitely struggled' with console latency vs PC, bu

Postby KesMonkey » 04 Aug 2011, 13:42

"It runs really fast, 60hz on all the systems."
60Hz =/= 60 frames per sec. Battlefield Bad Company 2 for example runs at 60Hz and 30fps (on consoles). I have an old 120Hz CRT monitor, but that doesn't mean my GeForce 260GTX can give me 120fps in Crysis.
But, I assume he means 60 fps.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 60

Re: id has 'definitely struggled' with console latency vs PC

Postby martinawatson » 04 Aug 2011, 14:05

KesMonkey wrote:"It runs really fast, 60hz on all the systems."
60Hz =/= 60 frames per sec. Battlefield Bad Company 2 for example runs at 60Hz and 30fps (on consoles). I have an old 120Hz CRT monitor, but that doesn't mean my GeForce 260GTX can give me 120fps in Crysis.

i didnt think he could get the ps3 upto 60 fps , if he has , well done mate , your a clever old stick
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 64

Postby manky » 04 Aug 2011, 14:59

Are you calling out Mr Carmack... good luck.

Frame rate (also known as frame frequency) is the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. The term applies equally well to computer graphics, video cameras, film cameras, and motion capture systems. Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS), and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz).
manky 28

Postby kirankara » 04 Aug 2011, 15:42

martinawatson wrote:

i didnt think he could get the ps3 upto 60 fps , if he has , well done mate , your a clever old stick

By all accounts he has done just that, also why single out ps3 here, is 360 exempt from your doubt? Is it somehow received a power boost I was unaware of?
If you understand the tech used by them it all seems more understandable , although still impressive.
The mega textures used by them, effectively are pre drawn compressed textures stored on disk and streamed into game. They are also often low res , but are at a distance and not really noticeable (although there's some hideously low res textures lying round in game if u look). Thus the consoles aren't constantly having to draw background objects write textures onto these objects, along with fact these are not consisting of large amounts of polygons and are not interactive in any way shape or form, and this all frees up lots of power/ram for frame rate.
kirankara 56

Postby ingy » 04 Aug 2011, 16:00

The only thing worrying me about this, apart from the pointless driving bits, is the constant need to crow about their amazing game engine. Fair enough, but let's hope come launch it's the gameplay were all talking about and not the tech.
ingy 63

Postby martinawatson » 04 Aug 2011, 18:13

By all accounts he has done just that, also why single out ps3 here, is 360 exempt from your doubt? Is it somehow received a power boost I was unaware of?

Hi mate
Just to clarify , i am pretty obsessed by game engines so have soaked up a lot of info on this impressive bit of tech. Carmack previously claimed that he couldn't get the ps3 upto the same frame-rates as the pc and 360 version.
I guess this is due to the 360 architecture being a bit closer to PC and the 360 certainly has a pretty fast chip, so im very pleased that he has achieved the framerates on the ps3 as well.
Admire Mr C for the things he has achieved over the years , however i think nowdays your only as good as your last game, so fingers crossed that Rage is a cracker, i think the market place demands that the multiplayer has to be dead on otherwise they can really forget it. So come on ID , bloody go for it! 8)
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 64

Postby Paranoimia » 04 Aug 2011, 18:31

Their amazing game engine potentially isn't that amazing if it suffers from major controller lag. Supposedly lesser engines seem to manage just fine.

Of course, if mouse and keyboard offer noticeably less lag, you could always implement mouse and keyboard support on the console versions. Well, you could on PS3 anyway.
Paranoimia 32

Xbox Live: Paranoimia UK
PSN ID: Paranoimia

Postby kirankara » 04 Aug 2011, 22:27

martinawatson wrote:By all accounts he has done just that, also why single out ps3 here, is 360 exempt from your doubt? Is it somehow received a power boost I was unaware of?

Hi mate
Just to clarify , i am pretty obsessed by game engines so have soaked up a lot of info on this impressive bit of tech. Carmack previously claimed that he couldn't get the ps3 upto the same frame-rates as the pc and 360 version.
I guess this is due to the 360 architecture being a bit closer to PC and the 360 certainly has a pretty fast chip, so im very pleased that he has achieved the framerates on the ps3 as well.
Admire Mr C for the things he has achieved over the years , however i think nowdays your only as good as your last game, so fingers crossed that Rage is a cracker, i think the market place demands that the multiplayer has to be dead on otherwise they can really forget it. So come on ID , bloody go for it! 8)

nah he actually said, that at that point, it wasnt running at same rate as 360, but he expected that they would get it running at 60fps, and that the ps3 was a pain in backside, as they were having to do things in very strange ways, and it was taking lot longer to do things.
kirankara 56

Postby LordVonPS3 » 08 Aug 2011, 15:16

manky wrote:

Are you calling out Mr Carmack... good luck.

Frame rate (also known as frame frequency) is the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. The term applies equally well to computer graphics, video cameras, film cameras, and motion capture systems. Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS), and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz).

Hertz (Hz) is a scientific SI used to denote a frequency defined as the number of cycles per second of a periodic (not necessarily regular) phenomenon. Thus 60 Hz would mean 60 times in a second. The phenomenon in question here is likely attributable to the game rendering virtual objects to a specific memory buffer for output to the display. :roll: I'm just saying (Kes has a point - but it's probably nitpicking)...
LordVonPS3 56