Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Samari

Your comments on our articles.

Pt.1: The Unreal engine kings on the gaming years ahead...

When Epic Games' Samaritan demo dropped at GDC in March, you could hear the gasps all the way to Frankfurt.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Samari

Postby martinawatson » 03 Aug 2011, 14:34

Sorry not good enough, i want more than this for my next gen, but then i guess this is the advert to snare a few mill from Microsoft to help develop there engine a bit more (i mean build a new game)
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 67
 
Posts: 3934
Joined: 01 May 2004, 11:48
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby StonecoldMC » 03 Aug 2011, 14:55

@Martin

Seriously? You dont think Samaritan looked good enough :shock: ?

This interview may have all been about hardware and specs and the technical stuff but this was the most important thing that I took from the interview:

I think that really is the key thing. The ultimate stress test for anything we do is whether it is fun. If it's not fun there's no point in doing it.

Carry on making Games that are Fun, Epic. If they look as good as Gears 3 then thats just a Brucey Bonus :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
User avatar
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14315
Joined: 14 May 2007, 20:47
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby TOKEN » 03 Aug 2011, 14:56

martinawatson wrote:Sorry not good enough, i want more than this for my next gen, but then i guess this is the advert to snare a few mill from Microsoft to help develop there engine a bit more (i mean build a new game)

i was gonna say the same thing also but i have to say that cryteks engine is looking good.
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
User avatar
TOKEN 51
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: 22 Jul 2010, 12:40
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 03 Aug 2011, 16:43

Yeah sorry but, no dice. Before new consoles are even released they'll be outdated by yet more semi-improved hardware for the PC, which will no doubt be leaving the consoles playing catch up whilst PC fanboys will be boasting about their fancy powered games with little to no soul to them. In other words, back to square 1, clearly labelled 2011. The same genres just with fancier looking visuals. You don't need all this fancy new tech to create an amazing game. Sony and Microsoft do not need to release some overpowered box that juuust about can do what high end PCs can do. Developers actually have to use what they have available to them right now. Not sure about anyone else but I'll be looking more forward to what certain designers and developers are able to do, such as Team Ico, rather than seeing what fancy yawn-fest corridor shooter-esque third or first person shooter, that Epic and ID will no doubt come out with.

If this is seriously going to become yet another generation of graphics whores over substance, I'm out.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
Image
User avatar
TheCrimsonFenix 70
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 23:06
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby martinawatson » 03 Aug 2011, 17:24

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:Yeah sorry but, no dice. Before new consoles are even released they'll be outdated by yet more semi-improved hardware for the PC, which will no doubt be leaving the consoles playing catch up whilst PC fanboys will be boasting about their fancy powered games with little to no soul to them. In other words, back to square 1, clearly labelled 2011. The same genres just with fancier looking visuals. You don't need all this fancy new tech to create an amazing game. Sony and Microsoft do not need to release some overpowered box that juuust about can do what high end PCs can do. Developers actually have to use what they have available to them right now. Not sure about anyone else but I'll be looking more forward to what certain designers and developers are able to do, such as Team Ico, rather than seeing what fancy yawn-fest corridor shooter-esque third or first person shooter, that Epic and ID will no doubt come out with.

If this is seriously going to become yet another generation of graphics whores over substance, I'm out.



Yes mate, you said exactly what i was thinking only with increased eloquence .
It will be interesting to see the sort of games coming out for ps3 (or xbox360 or wii u even) in a couple years time from the people who made LA Noire (especially with the face tech),or heavy rain, or the valve team and obviously my mate Ken levine.
To me it is only about now when we can really see what the current consoles are capable of and a couple more years before we see some real classics that are squeezing every inch of juice out of those consoles.
According to something i read the other day , there are only 22 games on PC that use direct x 11 , which is pretty bonkers if you think about it, whats the point of people buying these games on PC and in actuality no games are exploring what the (£200 to £400 ) graphics card you put in can really do with them.
I am pretty obsessed by game engines and have been for a few years, so im definitely not slagging off the Unreal tech, i think its probably the best choice for most publishers, and this demo does look great (just not the step i want). I think the wise thing for Epic to do would to be concentrating on getting games out using there current engine and build some original IPs , as there are a million storys that can be told using that tech.
I played Limbo the other day, i would think that some clever stick could actually produce a clone of that title working on a ps2 , however i think its only now that someone could of come up with that game after experiencing other titles and their clever use of physics, lighting etc, so hang on don't wish away the current crop of consoles , lets see some thinking , innovation and fun titles.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 67
 
Posts: 3934
Joined: 01 May 2004, 11:48
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby sonic_uk » 03 Aug 2011, 19:42

TheCrimsonFenix is right. I'd rather devs focus on making the games more engaging and the gameplay solid as even now the graphics are getting so good that we are already bordering on photorealistic in some games. I'm sure the next generation of consoles and new PC hardware advances will give us even better looking games so that's already a given. I want to see better A.I, a more engaging world, oh yes I almost forgot, a joypad too. I am not interested in any console without one. Sony, Ms and Ninty take note - you can shove your motion controls where the sun don't shine thanks.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
User avatar
sonic_uk 56
 
Posts: 3458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby Polarwiseman II » 03 Aug 2011, 20:27

I think the problem with tech demos like this is that graphics is the only thing they can really show off, which makes it seem like graphics is all they care about. If you're going to make a really intelligent AI, then how do you show that off in a demo like this? It isn't really going to be apparent until you get the chance to play around with it for a while and see what it does, so it isn't very apparent what you've actually done. Similarly if you have a really cool and unique gameplay idea, the chances are you're going to make that into a game yourself, rather than show it off as a demo.
Polarwiseman II 31
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Jun 2011, 17:48
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Polarwiseman
Steam: polarwiseman

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 03 Aug 2011, 20:39

Ok so, say the new xbox and ps come out, if you want it to have almost as good as PC hardware then the console itself will cost an absolute fortune.

I think we can all agree that afordability is a huge thing in gaming, just look at the awesome wii sales or poor 3DS sales. Price is a really important thing.

The next gen of consoles will be a massive disappointment if you think it will ever catch up to the level of possible PC specs.

However, I'm not fussed, long gone are the days of graphics = king. I'm still happy with my Xtriple sixty for a few more years.
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
User avatar
NEO_SUPERMAN 44
 
Posts: 723
Joined: 07 Oct 2009, 20:15
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby Raptor117 » 04 Aug 2011, 10:03

According to something i read the other day , there are only 22 games on PC that use direct x 11 , which is pretty bonkers if you think about it, whats the point of people buying these games on PC and in actuality no games are exploring what the (£200 to £400 ) graphics card you put in can really do with them.

Ah, martinawatson and friends....

If you're saying PC gamers with those cards are wasting their money because there are too few games to use the DX11, please stop.

Even if a game doesn't support DX11, it doesn't mean your Win 7 PC can't play it. I believe there's DX10 and DX9 mode if you chose to use them with your DX11 card. 22 games using DX11, yes feeble. But, do you how many games that supports DX 10 that can be played on a DX11 card? Let's not forget that you can put those same cards in a Win XP PC which can only use DX 09, which the are present on the consoles. I wonder how many games that still uses DX 09 on the PC. Consoles ports for the PC using DX 9 are more than 22, last I checked.

Remember Crysis2? It was initially a DX9 game but after a simple mater of a PATCH, it's a DX11 game. A mere patch! The same goes for Total War Shogun 2. Remember those DX9 console ports? I'm sure they are able to be patched with DX 11. If developers can make great looking games with what they have, why can't they make a simple patch?

I think the problem with tech demos like this is that graphics is the only thing they can really show off

C'mon. Really? Mike Gamble himself have admitted to that in the interview that THAT particular demo was just to show off some DX11 capabilities of the Unreal engine, nothing more.

Developers crave to advance their craft and creations in any or all medium. Even Rage will have an iPhone version. It's the publishers who are holding them back. I mean Microsoft made DX 11 but have what...ZERO(?)...games from their internal or third party studios that utilized DX11. Especially Gears of War and Halo. Alan Wake was supposed to be a Dx10 exclusive but suddenly it became an X Box exclusive because apparently you can't be scared properly if you're not on the couch. Before Red Dead Redemption's release, Rockstar said there's no plan for a PC release. After it was release, Rockstar said they would've made a PC version if it weren't for the publisher's wish.
Raptor117 19
 
Posts: 69
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 11:09

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby sonic_uk » 05 Aug 2011, 17:40

@ NEO_SUPERMAN - The new consoles wont cost as much as you think. Don't forget that every console that has ever been released has retailed for a high price initially and as the months and years go by the price drops considerably as technology moves at a rapid pace and gets cheaper and easier to manufacture. Look at the price of a Ps3 or 360 now compared to launch, or if we go back a few years how much the Ps2 was at launch - it its last days they were selling it at below £99. Its like anything really, technology is one of the quickest things to advance and therefore lose its value once it goes out of date. A five year old PC is virtually worthless today yet may have cost half a grand (or more if you get ripped of by places like P.C World) when purchased at the time.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
User avatar
sonic_uk 56
 
Posts: 3458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby murphy7801 » 05 Aug 2011, 23:20

martinawatson wrote:
TheCrimsonFenix wrote:Yeah sorry but, no dice. Before new consoles are even released they'll be outdated by yet more semi-improved hardware for the PC, which will no doubt be leaving the consoles playing catch up whilst PC fanboys will be boasting about their fancy powered games with little to no soul to them. In other words, back to square 1, clearly labelled 2011. The same genres just with fancier looking visuals. You don't need all this fancy new tech to create an amazing game. Sony and Microsoft do not need to release some overpowered box that juuust about can do what high end PCs can do. Developers actually have to use what they have available to them right now. Not sure about anyone else but I'll be looking more forward to what certain designers and developers are able to do, such as Team Ico, rather than seeing what fancy yawn-fest corridor shooter-esque third or first person shooter, that Epic and ID will no doubt come out with.

If this is seriously going to become yet another generation of graphics whores over substance, I'm out.



Yes mate, you said exactly what i was thinking only with increased eloquence .
It will be interesting to see the sort of games coming out for ps3 (or xbox360 or wii u even) in a couple years time from the people who made LA Noire (especially with the face tech),or heavy rain, or the valve team and obviously my mate Ken levine.
To me it is only about now when we can really see what the current consoles are capable of and a couple more years before we see some real classics that are squeezing every inch of juice out of those consoles.
According to something i read the other day , there are only 22 games on PC that use direct x 11 , which is pretty bonkers if you think about it, whats the point of people buying these games on PC and in actuality no games are exploring what the (£200 to £400 ) graphics card you put in can really do with them.
I am pretty obsessed by game engines and have been for a few years, so im definitely not slagging off the Unreal tech, i think its probably the best choice for most publishers, and this demo does look great (just not the step i want). I think the wise thing for Epic to do would to be concentrating on getting games out using there current engine and build some original IPs , as there are a million storys that can be told using that tech.
I played Limbo the other day, i would think that some clever stick could actually produce a clone of that title working on a ps2 , however i think its only now that someone could of come up with that game after experiencing other titles and their clever use of physics, lighting etc, so hang on don't wish away the current crop of consoles , lets see some thinking , innovation and fun titles.

Yer huge flaw but you wouldnt get nearly any the innovations you get for your consoles hardware wise with pc development. Also indy games that become large nearly always started out on the pc you would get half the talent or games without the pc market. Also £400 graphics also run no DX11 titles very well unsurprisingly. Also recently GPU technology has had massive advancement which really changed the whole market card these days which is £150 can run crysis 2 at medium to low graphics at 1080p and still look good. Also the whole PC market moving fast has always been like this for nearly since the inception of pc gaming on the directx platform its the nature of the industry. Also current consoles have run into brick walls on the hardware in last 12 months the problem is that discounting graphics (say just average console graphics nothing spectacular) having lots physics, AI and scripting is becoming to hard due to the low amount RAM on both consoles and limited gpu power which means they have lump more work on the cpu holds back how much you can do. I personally have a only one thing less than gtx 580 as the pc used for the Samerian tech demo aside from that quite similar yer it cost alot money but I happy with the set up also use it for other things and its all good.
murphy7801 8
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 06 Aug 2010, 11:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby sonic_uk » 06 Aug 2011, 21:16

Yes but if devs concentrated on PC alone you would find code very unoptimized. The consoles hardware limitations have forced devs to be more creative and look at new ways to gain big leaps in performance out of modest hardware and to be honest they've done a remarkable job with games looking almost identical from their PC counterparts with only marginal differences in AA levels, Resolution and fps, all of which is HEAVILY DEPENDENT ON YOUR RIG. If consoles failed to exist most devs would become lazy and not bother optimizing code. You would find a lot of games would NEED the latest gfx card or Cpu just to run properly at high settings, or else you would be forced to play the game at low settings and resolutions just to be able to play it properly. The consoles limitations have taught devs new tricks which they can also use on their PC code to gain performance. It benefits everybody, both console gamers who get a great looking and running game, and PC owners alike for the same reasons and unlike the old days, you don't need a monster PC to play the latest PC games nowadays at reasonable/high settings.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
User avatar
sonic_uk 56
 
Posts: 3458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Epic Games: The future of consoles, PC exclusives and Sa

Postby stalepie » 07 Jan 2012, 00:58

Seems like Diablo or Starcraft would play well on a tablet or with a stylus.
stalepie 9
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 21:28
Location: United States


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cloakedvengance, ding, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]