DVT victim's father: 'Enjoy gaming, it's great fun - but tak

Your comments on our articles.

David Staniforth's message to players

The father of a young man who lost his life to Deep Vein Thrombosis has advised parents not to stop their children from playing video games - but warned that extended play sessions should be broken up.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby slick loose » 01 Aug 2011, 11:39

He speaks remarkable sense considering he has just lost his son.
slick loose 68

PSN ID: slickloose

Re: DVT victim's father: 'Enjoy gaming, it's great fun - but

Postby Balladeer » 01 Aug 2011, 11:40

What a sensible, well-adjusted man.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby deepbluerd » 01 Aug 2011, 11:41

I do feel sorry for the guys loss but then why didn't he tell his son to take a break? Instead of letting him play 12 hours a day? Did he not have a job or anything?
deepbluerd 38

Postby slick loose » 01 Aug 2011, 11:44

deepbluerd wrote:I do feel sorry for the guys loss but then why didn't he tell his son to take a break? Instead of letting him play 12 hours a day? Did he not have a job or anything?

Have you tried telling a teen to get off the game...never mind a 20 year old!
slick loose 68

Postby G_R7 » 01 Aug 2011, 11:49

Considering what has happened this man needs to be saluted! Normally they would just blame Gaming and be done with it.
http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=GRose7 Visit my YouTube page for videos of my drunken fun including me downing a pint of beer in 3.2 seconds.
3DS Friend Code: 3007 8062 6995. Add me for Mario Kart 7 and any upcoming games!
G_R7 55

Xbox Live: G R7
PSN ID: G_R7

Postby Clusks » 01 Aug 2011, 11:49

Feel sorry for him, even more so for the fact that his words have been taken out of context by the sun and didn't portray the message he truly wanted to get across.

I'm glad the phone hacking scandal was uncovered, it's created a lot of distaste for the tabloids that they fully deserve.
Clusks 45

Postby mental_mick » 01 Aug 2011, 11:56

I never thought I'd see the day that The Sun would take things completely out of context, being such a reliable newspaper and all.
Sorry for your loss David...thoughts are with you
mental_mick 22

Postby robbo666 » 01 Aug 2011, 12:02

If this man needs a hand to raise awareness of some of the troubles I truly hope he gets it and I hope that his work isnt taken out of context and made to look like a hate campaign on gaming!

deepbluerd wrote:I do feel sorry for the guys loss but then why didn't he tell his son to take a break? Instead of letting him play 12 hours a day? Did he not have a job or anything?

I do believe that is a regret he has and why he is trying to raise awareness for other people to not make similar mistakes.
Also his son was at the job centre so im guessing (obviously i could be wrong) he didnt have a job.
robbo666 10
New user

Postby STEVONYMO » 01 Aug 2011, 12:06

I once had a funny turn whilst playing WOW! My legs ached at the top and I went light headed...I had been sat for 6 hours and I guess my circulation was struggling. I work out and run a fair bit so I guess the warning is it can happen to anyone!
STEVONYMO 39

Postby Laughlyn » 01 Aug 2011, 12:09

slick loose wrote:

Have you tried telling a teen to get off the game...never mind a 20 year old!

yer but seriously. at 20 the guy should have known better than sitting in front the computer for 12hours. he's not a kid anymore he's a young adult he should have to count on his parents to tell him when and how long he can play his games. Theres been plenty of stories about folk dying of DVT and its quite common knowledge now.
I have a stroppy 7yr old who isnt best pleased when he has to come off games since his mum is one of the folk who use it as a babysitting tool so when he comes to mine at weekends he just wants to sit on his ds or my ps3 all day. I love games as much as the next gamer but you use commonsense n i kick him off it n send him outside for a few hours otherwise i just get 'I'm Boorrred' from moment he stops playing on em til moment he goes back on it, having a stroppy kid isnt a reason to just leave em huddled up in a room all day. i wanted to when i was a kid so i understand the issue but my parents did same to me and got me off it for a bit. Parents just cant be arsed these days they'd rather risk their kids dying than put any effort into raising them on both food and entertainment
Laughlyn 55

Postby metallicorphan » 01 Aug 2011, 12:19

DVT victim's father: 'Enjoy gaming, it's great fun - but take a break'

I think we have a new hero for this weeks CVG Heroes and Villains article
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby TheLastDodo » 01 Aug 2011, 12:21

Thats something I didn't expect him to say, props to the guy for keeping level headed.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby kirankara » 01 Aug 2011, 12:38

Like anything in life, balance is required , tok much of anything will kill you, even tok much excercise isn't great for you,
Is sad that this kid died, but crikey it sounds like like he was bit of social recluse who didn't get out much at all.
kirankara 57

Postby slick loose » 01 Aug 2011, 12:39

Where is A3HM and rbt2 to call everyone t**ts in here for feeling sorry for someone who has died?
slick loose 68

Postby RichPerry » 01 Aug 2011, 12:42

Good on this guy, he's remaining balanced and fair even though he just lost his son. He deserves a medal, compared to some reactions to gaming in the media.
RichPerry 35

Next