to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Epic: Bulletstorm 'didn't make money for us'

Your comments on our articles.

People Can Fly shooter was a hit with critics, not with consumers

Bulletstorm had flair, brutality, lush visuals and unique gameplay. Reviewers liked it, but the punters just didn't respond.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic: Bulletstorm 'didn't make money for us'

Postby mogel94 » 24 Jul 2011, 22:17

Shame, really neat game and I wouldn't mind a sequel.
mogel94 43

Xbox Live: SoggySage
PSN ID: Iski94I

Re: Epic: Bulletstorm 'didn't make money for us'

Postby marcofarlio » 24 Jul 2011, 22:54

It really is one of the most original games around at the moment. Surely millions bought this just for the GOW3 Beta!
marcofarlio 30

Xbox Live: Mark Farley

Postby BenThomasFoster » 24 Jul 2011, 23:15

If your a real developer you don't care about how many it sell only how the fan's rated it and how the critic's did and anyways with publishers these day's you won't have the fanicial impact of say valve would have it it's games selled poorly
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby TheLastDodo » 24 Jul 2011, 23:23

Good game but it wasn't half as original as it made out and I found myself getting bored towards the end.

I'd say it does deserve a sequel, just get someone that knows how to develop with Unreal Engine on PS3 to do it.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Deinsleaf » 24 Jul 2011, 23:41

If the publisher knows that the developer made a good game, then it doesn't matter if the sales suck. It's just a matter of time until people warms up to the games made by them. It would be such a shame if one of the "Three Bs" will disappear. Bulletstorm was such a good game. Dicktits.
Deinsleaf 19

Steam: deinsleaf

Postby dannyhulse » 24 Jul 2011, 23:59

BenThomasFoster wrote:If your a real developer you don't care about how many it sell only how the fan's rated it and how the critic's did and anyways with publishers these day's you won't have the fanicial impact of say valve would have it it's games selled poorly

What?

Valve can subsist soley on Steam sales, and believe me, publishers will care more about the bottom line than critics scores.
dannyhulse 47

Postby Multiplayerking » 25 Jul 2011, 01:23

BenThomasFoster wrote:If your a real developer you don't care about how many it sell only how the fan's rated it and how the critic's did and anyways with publishers these day's you won't have the fanicial impact of say valve would have it it's games selled poorly

Don't be so naive. They need to put food on the table.
Hey
Multiplayerking 68

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby blugrunt92 » 25 Jul 2011, 02:29

marcofarlio wrote:It really is one of the most original games around at the moment. Surely millions bought this just for the GOW3 Beta!

I will admit I did buy Bulletstorm for the sole purpose of getting the Gears 3 Beta, but when I actually got it and played it I found it to be a pretty good game. The only thing I didn't like about it was all the cussing and ignorant phrases they said. They were just too childish and made no sense. Like some type of cussing you would hear a 14 year old kid say just to try and sound cool.
blugrunt92 25

Postby The_KFD_Case » 25 Jul 2011, 03:44

That bit of news doesn't surprise me one bit. It might be fun in small amounts, yet it struck me very much as a one-trick-pony.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby solamon77 » 25 Jul 2011, 06:57

I guess that explains why there are so few "real" developers anymore... with attitudes like that they all went out of business! :D

Don't kid yourself bro. As great as it is to release a highly lauded game, video games are a business first and a creative endeavor second. The fact is, if you can't release games that are both highly rated AND financially successful, you won't stick around too long.

Look at the legendary Looking Glass Studios (Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, etc). For those too young to have played their games in the 90s when they originally came out, this is the company that housed developers like Ken Levine (System Shock 2, Bioshock), Seamus Blackly (the creator of the Xbox), and Warren Spector (Deus Ex, Epic Micky), among many others. Despite the fact that almost every game they produced was a critical success, they struggled to find retail success and ended up closing their doors in 2000. In the end, all the critical success in the world doesn't put food on the table.
solamon77 43

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 25 Jul 2011, 08:59

I just hope it gets a sequel. I loved it, It was what Duke Nukem forever should of been like. Rediculous but incredibly fun to play.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby julez316 » 25 Jul 2011, 09:36

Brilliant game would love either a sequel or even more DLC. Don't mind paying for DLC if it's a worthwhile game
julez316 59

PSN ID: julz1

Postby Micheil794 » 25 Jul 2011, 10:06

I would of thought it would of been the other way round. IE critics saw it as average and gimmicky & the public falling for the gimmick & buying it in buckets. I myself disliked the game, in fact my brother bought it & I never even put it in my machine (I played the demo & bits on his PS3 but found it boring)
Micheil794 35

Postby STE MO » 25 Jul 2011, 10:28

Bulletstorm didn't really do it for me. It looks great and the game play was good and so was the story. I think I got lost with the Kill with Skill aspect. I found it frustrating trying to pull off move after move after move, pulling out the same thing time and time again. I'm just not a Kill with Skill kind of guy.
STE MO 50

Postby ricflair » 25 Jul 2011, 10:57

Loved the demo, but when I finally got around to the main game it just didn't do it for me. I think the Echos would have been fun, playing it for scores, but the main campaign didn't come across like that for some reason and I'd had enough of it by the time I finished it, so didn't even have the inclination to go through the Echoes.

I was very glad I didn't buy it on release as I loved the demo.
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Next