Batman: Arkham City - The most ambitious game of 2011?

Your comments on our articles.

P-p-punch out a penguin...

It's a relief to finally get some proper hands-on time with Arkham City. Not that we didn't know what to expect; not that we didn't know it'd be ace - it's just that, hell, it's been too long.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Batman: Arkham City - The most ambitious game of 2011?

Postby sened9 » 15 Jul 2011, 20:23

People are going to hate me for saying this but I thought the 1st game was so over rated. I tried to like it, hell, i bought it day one but I just couldn't get in to it. Still I'm willing to give this one a go to see if it can change my mind.
[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/133499.png?32800917[/img]
sened9 26

Xbox Live: Sened11
PSN ID: Sened2008

Re: Batman: Arkham City - The most ambitious game of 2011?

Postby RumbleThunder » 15 Jul 2011, 21:01

I thought the first was incredibly overrated. The combat was nice at first, and the animations were very crisp. Enemies were hugely unvaried, bosses were a laugh. Upgrades were mostly pointless. Graphics were very nice and game was well optimised, though.
Stealth sections had potential that was never met, I thought, but a few of them felt damn good.
The best bit about the game was the fact that you were Batman, and this was done well (you know what I mean..)
I feel this game is going to have to do something very special in order for it to live up to the hype.
Epidemic!
Take no prisoners...
RumbleThunder 59

Postby Lady Gagagged » 15 Jul 2011, 21:16

RumbleThunder wrote:I thought the first was incredibly overrated. The combat was nice at first, and the animations were very crisp. Enemies were hugely unvaried, bosses were a laugh. Upgrades were mostly pointless. Graphics were very nice and game was well optimised, though.
Stealth sections had potential that was never met, I thought, but a few of them felt damn good.
The best bit about the game was the fact that you were Batman, and this was done well (you know what I mean..)
I feel this game is going to have to do something very special in order for it to live up to the hype.

I feel the same. After hearing universal, gushing praise from my mates, on a stoic anti DC comic book reader, that I felt I must be missing out on something special. I picked up a copy and got an above average but far from great game.

That said if the sequel improves on the first game then it is something to look forward to.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby JD_Method » 15 Jul 2011, 22:01

Hmm... a lot of hate here.

I loved Arkham Asylum.
JD_Method 58

Postby Lady Gagagged » 15 Jul 2011, 22:15

JD_Method wrote:Hmm... a lot of hate here.

I loved Arkham Asylum.

I'd say not as much love as expected rather than hate.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby humanhand » 16 Jul 2011, 01:15

(ignoring thee above posts...)

OMG R U kidding? (seriously, I'm OMG'ing the article) These guys are my heroes for really taking the time to make this game shine! Not rushing it out with a half arsed job because some exec wants more money right now... this WILL be contender for GOTY. I just hope that the articles and hype for this game stay within reasonable levels, because while I'm quite sure all warranted, I think this game is on everyone's radar. It really doesn't need pushing, I want most of it to be a surprise. Unfortunately there isn't much coming out before then so I think this game is going to have all of the attention for a while.
Check it Out! Season 2 on tv NOW!

playing: Mortal Kombat PS3 and Vita, Max Payne 3, Resistance Burning Skies, Mario Tennis Open
gaming since between 1985 -1993 and 1999 - present
humanhand 46

Xbox Live: humanhand
PSN ID: humanhand
Wii Code: 5097 5406 0203 1031

Postby Imaduck » 16 Jul 2011, 03:16

I'm another who thought the first was shockingly overrated. I really can't understand the fuss at all....

The iconic Batmobile? Gets beaten up by thugs with sticks, then used as a bulldozer before sinking into the sea ..... hell yeah!
The jet thing? he uses it to break a window and deliver mail ...... awesome!

The flashback stuff was weak. The combat pretty much won itself for you, one button all the way. Over stylised til it just got f**king irritating. No boss fights I'd consider decent, no puzzles that were confusing. Physchic or braindead AI depending on well, who knows, roll of a dice? Scarecrow was interesting in parts.

The only thing I thought was great was the Joker. Then they managed to ruin even him with the end. Apart from him, none of the other characters were developed at all really or remotely interesting.
So basically it ended up a test of patience for me. The fights won themselves, my planning and scheming was foiled by poor design and bugs, the story was flat, the characters were as exciting as the wallpaper, the vehicles were uneeded and a joke. I was left trying to like it, restarting the game, trying to get it, but never getting it. Feel like I've missed something that made it awesome for everyone else somewhere along the line. Or maybe it's just a case of differing opinion and taste ? .................... NAY THIS R THE INTERNET! MY THOTS R FACT! :roll:
Imaduck 58

Postby metallicorphan » 16 Jul 2011, 07:23

sened9 wrote:People are going to hate me for saying this but ...blah blah blah

I hate you :P

bring on Batman AC,i loved AA to bits and couldn't get enough
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby dwhlufc » 16 Jul 2011, 08:31

This can't come soon enough for me, I've just finished a hard playthrough and currently trying to get all batarangs on he combat rooms.As for complaints about the combat I find them abut daft really, like GoW and other games in this genre it's up to you if you just hammer counter and punch or mix it pup with the batclaw,batarangs,stun,throw,finishers so to say the combat is limited is daft,look at some of he combat room scores to see how well they've varied there combos for huge scores.

The last 3 months of the year are madness once again this year,1 week after this Uncharted 3 lands and then BF3,MW3 etc.
dwhlufc 76

Postby JD_Method » 16 Jul 2011, 14:19

If you only used one button for the combat, you wasn't playing it right.
JD_Method 58

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Jul 2011, 18:35

I liked the 1st, loved Scarecrow and it had some neat weapons. Sadly however it also got a bit samey as between the bosses it was just hoards of thugs to beat up again and again and again. Also the boss battles were too simplistic aside from Ivy IMO. I did love that bit with the corridor, seeing the Bats past and stuff was awesome.

As for this actual story I'd wager Bioshock Infinite is more ambitious, if such a thing could ever be accurately measured of course!

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Marlonjb » 16 Jul 2011, 23:40

sened9 wrote:People are going to hate me for saying this but I thought the 1st game was so over rated. I tried to like it, hell, i bought it day one but I just couldn't get in to it. Still I'm willing to give this one a go to see if it can change my mind.

Well, that's your opinion. I don't agree with it but as you didn't trash the game just because you didn't like it I respect this. Personally I enjoyed the first game a lot and I'm actually buzzing to play this now. This and Bioshock infinite are two of my most anticipated games on the near (ish) horizon.
If people are talking behind your back it's only because they cant talk to your face. PS3, Xbox360 Elite and Wii Owner so the lame ass "Fanboy" BS wont work on me. Do not bother!
Marlonjb 38

Postby KippDynamite » 17 Jul 2011, 23:01

RumbleThunder wrote:I thought the first was incredibly overrated. The combat was nice at first, and the animations were very crisp. Enemies were hugely unvaried, bosses were a laugh. Upgrades were mostly pointless. Graphics were very nice and game was well optimised, though.

I pretty much agree with you. I liked the first game, and I'll get Arkham City when it's a bit cheaper and I'm sure I'll have a good time. I think AA is a bit overrated because it is basically the first decent superhero game. I think that Arkham City does have high ambitions, but something like Skyrim is clearly and definately more ambitious in my eyes - it's just that people are expecting that.
KippDynamite 49

PSN ID: KippDynamite

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 18 Jul 2011, 14:55

To all the idiots on here saying the game was overrated. Read these facts:

Won multiple gaming awards from various entertainment sites.
Sold in excess of 5 millions copies.
Has a metacritic score of 92.
Won BAFTA GAME OF THE YEAR Award in 2010 (Most important award of all).

Over-rated my a$$!!!! MORONS!!!!
MANYOO4EVA 40