to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Peter Molyneux: 'They used to criticise the PC mouse... Kine

Your comments on our articles.

The gaming legend on Milo, Kinect and the Amiga...

Microsoft's European Games Studios overlord, Peter Molyneux unveiled his new Kinect-enabled Fable project at E3 last month - and then immediately hailed the showing 'a horrendous mistake'.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ingy » 12 Jul 2011, 12:47

For me, the problem with motion control is that it brings nothing to the market that improves on what we already have.

In fact if anything it takes away things we have, ie feedback and precision.
ingy 64

Postby ianson » 12 Jul 2011, 12:50

For once I agree with Mr Molyneux, interested to see how this pans out tbh. If they get even a little close to allowing free movement using Kinect it could really open things up. Also, voice control is a big deal for gaming and the sooner it gets some really good implementations the better.
ianson 47

Re: Peter Molyneux: 'They used to criticise the PC mouse...

Postby ianson » 12 Jul 2011, 12:55

ingy wrote:For me, the problem with motion control is that it brings nothing to the market that improves on what we already have.

In fact if anything it takes away things we have, ie feedback and precision.

I disagree, especially with Kinect. There are some precision issues with controls tat we are still having problems with. Take Assassins Creed for example. Directing your apprentice assassins is hard since you haven't the precision to point and direct. If I was playing and could do an air pump (like Ezio does in the game) to call an arrow strike then it would be brilliant. Directing NPCs in general could benefit from being able to point to a place in 3D space rather than wrestle with the markers and reticles that we usually have to. I think of it more as a way to ADD to the controller than remove it entirely... imagine using hand signals to control your team in ghost recon instead of a radial menu. Quicker, real time, doesn't require pausing or covering the players vision and is super super cool.
ianson 47

Postby Cogglesz » 12 Jul 2011, 13:08

I think the lag lets it down, pc mouses don't lag, imagine playing something like counter strike with a laggy mouse compared to one that doesn't lag at all, i do think kinect is cool being able to track your body and all but i think i'd wait till Kinect 2 to enjoy a proper core game on it, saying this i'm basing my lag off a half an hour session i had with it, if it came to online gaming where you were agaisn't people with a controller in say a first person enviroment you'd be at the bottom of the leaderboard for sure, along with the other kinecters in the match, this is the reason kinect doesn't appeal to me and why i think he shouldn't compare it to a mouse, mouses are really really accurate, kinect is like getting your mouse and using it on top of a large bowl of jelly.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby ianson » 12 Jul 2011, 13:30

He isn't comparing it to mouse because of the qualities of a mouse, he is comparing it because of how people have responded to it. Also, as he pointed out, the mouse allowed games that didn't exist before to spring up.
ianson 47

Postby spam23 » 12 Jul 2011, 13:50

But I don't have enough room for the expensive peripharal that allows you to play awful casual games!

I do have a mouse mat, which provides my mouse with plenty of room for me to play any kind of game I like.
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby ingy » 12 Jul 2011, 13:55

ianson wrote:He isn't comparing it to mouse because of the qualities of a mouse, he is comparing it because of how people have responded to it. Also, as he pointed out, the mouse allowed games that didn't exist before to spring up.

You're right in that the mouse allowed new games to spring up, but the problem with motion control is we're not seeing new games, instead we are getting poor controls shoe horned into existing games.
ingy 64

Postby wildhook2 » 12 Jul 2011, 14:49

I accepted mouse straight away when I had Amiga.

Nice try Molyneux!
wildhook2 54

Postby Crossblade_2000 » 12 Jul 2011, 18:04

Sorry Pete, but a mouse has something Kinect doesn't... BUTTONS!!! :D

Still see Kinect as a novelty anyhow, fun for some games, but that's about it. :o
Crossblade_2000 26

Postby Ninja Sheep762 » 12 Jul 2011, 18:59

Personally, i love kinect. I love the potential... and it makes me cry to see it collecting dust. I think that although it kind of defys the point, a wireless analog stick you could strap to your arm would make all these adventure games 10 X better. oh, and it's my idea, so :P
Ninja Sheep762 29

Postby RetroJB » 12 Jul 2011, 19:06

ingy wrote:The problem with motion control is that it brings nothing to the market that improves on what we already have.

/thread.
"I'm not available to answer my phone at the moment, so please leave a message & the News of the World will get back to you...
RetroJB 42

Postby corkscru74 » 12 Jul 2011, 19:54

ingy wrote:
ianson wrote:He isn't comparing it to mouse because of the qualities of a mouse, he is comparing it because of how people have responded to it. Also, as he pointed out, the mouse allowed games that didn't exist before to spring up.

You're right in that the mouse allowed new games to spring up, but the problem with motion control is we're not seeing new games, instead we are getting poor controls shoe horned into existing games.

I remember playing Doom using only the keyboard. Seriously, saw the option in the menu and couldn't understand how on earth that would even work! It wasn't until Half Life that I actually embraced Mouse and Keyboard in perfect harmony :D
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby cjw101 » 12 Jul 2011, 21:09

corkscru74 wrote:
ingy wrote:You're right in that the mouse allowed new games to spring up, but the problem with motion control is we're not seeing new games, instead we are getting poor controls shoe horned into existing games.

I remember playing Doom using only the keyboard. Seriously, saw the option in the menu and couldn't understand how on earth that would even work! It wasn't until Half Life that I actually embraced Mouse and Keyboard in perfect harmony :D

Quite - let's give it more than five bloody minutes before we write it off...
XBL GamerTag: LotusCrispy

Selling my PSP
cjw101 72

Postby ianson » 12 Jul 2011, 22:09

ingy wrote:

Yeah, but, not every game that came out using a mouse (or even every piece of software) was great to begin with. Dance Central is awesome, the integrations in Mass Effect and Ghost Recon look to also be significant. Right it off now and you might look silly later on... it will allow stuff that we haven't even conceived of yet.
ianson 47

Postby freds1 » 12 Jul 2011, 23:30

wildhook2 wrote:I accepted mouse straight away when I had Amiga.

Nice try Molyneux!

So did I, I used it straight away and thought it was great, coming straight from the Speccy. Though this reminds me when my dear 'ol mum tried to use a mouse, she picked it up and started waving it in the air..."Why's it not working?! It's not even moving!" lol. Ahead of the times she was.

Anyway I'm sure Kinect will be good eventually, or something evolved from it. But it's not something I'm interested in right now.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 56

Next