to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sonic Generations: Have Sonic's fortunes finally changed?

Your comments on our articles.

Bridging the generation gap with the 'hogs...

Placed side-by-side, the Sonics of 1991 and the current gen don't make for a stunning visual contrast.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby wwinterj » 30 Jun 2011, 18:36

I was looking forward to this, enjoyed the demo and it looked great however after seeing the leaked level list that sega left in the demos code I see this game will be very short. That's when this game went to a bargain bin title. It's a shame that the list is so short. It's like one stage per era. I'd have liked at least two maybe in even 3 and that would justify the price tag.

Ah well I'll still buy this at some point though as the demo was fun but it'll have to be when cheap. :roll:
wwinterj 50

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby toaplan » 30 Jun 2011, 18:58

The leap from 2d to 3d has proved surprisingly difficult for Sonic, in contrast to the Italian plumber, who has been happily bouncing in three dimensions for many years already. Ep4 showed that Sega can still do a decent 2d Sonic, and no doubt the 2d levels in this one are going to be fine. I hope that finally the 3d gameplay will work too, camera angles, collision detection, frame rate, physics and all. The screenshots certainly look promising, so I'll keep my hopes up, despite having been disappointed by the previous 3d Sonic titles.
toaplan 74

Re: Sonic Generations: Have Sonic's fortunes finally changed

Postby laminated0 » 30 Jun 2011, 19:12

wwinterj wrote:I was looking forward to this, enjoyed the demo and it looked great however after seeing the leaked level list that sega left in the demos code I see this game will be very short. That's when this game went to a bargain bin title. It's a shame that the list is so short. It's like one stage per era. I'd have liked at least two maybe in even 3 and that would justify the price tag.

Ah well I'll still buy this at some point though as the demo was fun but it'll have to be when cheap. :roll:

I thought the stage list had like 7 or 8 different zones meaning each would have their own 2-3 acts creating (just in 2D) approx 21-24 different stages just in the 2D game a similar length to the megadrive sonics, maybe a little shorter. Plus bonus stages and then the 3D sonic levels. If it does turn out 1 act per zone I'll be very dissappointed, as I have no interest in the 3D sonic just the 2D the 3D for me is like a tacked on bonus as well as them including the megadrive emulators. But completing the demo green hill zone there was no boss just the sonic spin board at the end so that leads me to believe there will be 2-3 acts per zone

I really can't wait for this the demo is the best sonic ive played since the megadrive era.
laminated0 36

Xbox Live: Jon Ryo

Re: Sonic Generations: Have Sonic's fortunes finally changed

Postby only_777 » 30 Jun 2011, 19:28

After playing the demo I put a pre-order straight away on it. I'm calling it now, better level design than Sonic Rush and that was the best Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 1 on Dreamcast.

I think they'll be wanting to really nail the moden sections with this game, but from what I've played, the 2D sections are spot on.

If they manage to nail the 3D sections, this wont just be a retern to form, this could suppass Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush and Sonic Fan Remix. And finally we could have a Sonic game that is good and not released on a Sega Machine.
Earn Money from clicking a link, stupid but true: http://paid2refer.com/ref.php?refId=239717
only_777 61