to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Duke Nukem Forever review average drops below 50

Your comments on our articles.

Time for duke to stick to chewing gum?

He put up a decent fight but even Duke hasn't been able to stand strong against the barrage of criticism thrown at him since the release of Duke Nukem Forever. After hovering around the half way mark, the 2K published shooter's review average has finally dropped below 50.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby dragonjim » 28 Jun 2011, 14:42

fail to the king baby
dragonjim 31

Re: Duke Nukem Forever review average drops below 50

Postby ingy » 28 Jun 2011, 14:52

I just don't take any notice of reviews any more.

I know this game has split opinions and all i will say is, i really enjoyed this on campaign, great fun,

also just completed 'alice madness returns' good old fashioned platforming, reminds me of why i got into gaming in the first place, both these games i would have missed had i listened to the reviews.
ingy 64

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 28 Jun 2011, 14:53

Should have stayed '' Duke Nukem Fornever ''.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby SuperNova MZ » 28 Jun 2011, 14:55

I think the game is getting too much bad rep, it's as if everyone was expecting the best game ever made.

I bought it knowing full well it wouldn't be great and after finishing it yesterday, I felt it was actually pretty good, not great, not 9/10 material, but still an enjoyable game and not deserving of all the crap it's getting. It's just a good old fashoned, over-the-top, crude and rather immature shooter, anyone expecting anything else is an idiot.
SuperNova MZ 13
New user

Postby kimoak » 28 Jun 2011, 14:56

It's all turned out rather embarrassing now. I didn't expect the game to be brilliant, but I am a little surprised it has gone down this bad. 3D Realms never had any real faith in the game at all or it would have been completed years ago. I think they knew after some time it was going to turn out a turkey.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 28 Jun 2011, 14:57

Just like Duke himself said, he's got balls of fail. I tried playing it again to see what people like about it and well.. that didn't go down too well. It just feels like one big unfunny mess. Tried so hard to turn down my brain for it but it's just a strain to play.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby mogel94 » 28 Jun 2011, 15:18

At the end of the day its just a shite game which had it not been Duke Nukem would have never seen the light of day. The time I spent playing that game (can't criticise if you haven't played it :wink: ) was truly horrendous and wish I could get back but whatever. At least its out and done with so now Gearbox can release Aliens Colonel Marines and perhaps a Duke game to rectify the poor quality of this one.
mogel94 43

Xbox Live: SoggySage
PSN ID: Iski94I

Postby budge » 28 Jun 2011, 15:20

I played the demo. I thought it was terrible.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby JAKEevans » 28 Jun 2011, 15:24

Not trying to flame here....but if you've only played the xbox version like i first did....do yourself a favor and play it on PC or PS3! It runs so much smoother it makes the game far more enjoyable.
"well spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska"
JAKEevans 46

Xbox Live: jake316
PSN ID: jakeomac

Postby anytime » 28 Jun 2011, 15:33

I like to play it when i have had a few drinks or a splif, you can really see what the developers where trying to do. How come everyone thought it was funny all those years ago and not now. You could say they grew up but i doubt it. The humour hasn't changed the people playing it have.
anytime 45

Postby Felly117 » 28 Jun 2011, 16:05

DNF was a good game. Not worth a replay but definately good. To those who say you need to be stupid to find it funny I say stop being so serious and get a sense of toilet humour.
The Cake is a Jill Sandwich
Felly117 28

Xbox Live: felly117
PSN ID: felly117
Steam: felly117

Postby lordirongut » 28 Jun 2011, 16:21

Tried the demo and thought it was horrendous. The graphics are among the worst this gen and the shooting was abysmal. The only thing that was a bit funny was when they jokes about the development time.

It's not that it's old or feels old, it's just that it's a bit s**t. When you compare it to Ocarina of Time which is even older thn DNF and is still beloved 14 years later, you see Duke Nukem Forever as a giant festooning turd that should have died years and years ago. This someone who plays a lot of old, outdated games. The jump back to 1990s gameplay mechanics should have been easier for me than just about anyone. The problem is that the gameplay mechanics aren't just 1990s gameplay mechanics - they're bad 1990s gameplay mechanics.

DNF is a game that should have been left under DNF status. Scratch that, it was released DNF.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 67

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby Obscure_Metaphor » 28 Jun 2011, 16:35

I think the worst thing is, its completely forgettable. and the ending isn't just forgettable... it didnt even enter my brain while playing it.
Obscure_Metaphor 40

Postby Micheil794 » 28 Jun 2011, 16:48

I played the demo, hated it. Played the full game & actually enjoyed it quite a bit, I'm on second playthrough on Insane & i'm still not bored :D
Micheil794 35

Postby manky » 29 Jun 2011, 10:36

Micheil794 wrote:I played the demo, hated it. Played the full game & actually enjoyed it quite a bit, I'm on second playthrough on Insane & i'm still not bored :D

Surely that is the definition of being 'bored'.
manky 28

Next