to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Duke Nukem Forever

Your comments on our articles.

Rip it a new one?

So this review is a little late, but given the company we're in that's probably acceptable.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Duke Nukem Forever

Postby R_A_LEE20 » 21 Jun 2011, 12:51

Ah CVG your just the rest of them, arn't you!
R_A_LEE20 30

Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Postby sakaspuds » 21 Jun 2011, 12:55

in short, buy it on pc to do away with the long load times and relatively poor graphics
sakaspuds 42

Postby Headsrinker » 21 Jun 2011, 13:01

I got a shock when i saw this. I didn't think CVG was going to bother.
As for the review, its alot fairer than most and makes some fair points. I enjoyed the game, and if your a fan of Duke, i would recommend it. But i can understand why not everyone would enjoy it, and thats the perspective a reviewer must have, a neutral one.
Any future Duke game needs to be ground breaking, not old school. Theres so much that can be done with a Duke game, it just needs a team to capture the potential in the right way (easier said than done)
Headsrinker 48

Steam: TheHeadshrinker

Postby InsertMoreCredit » 21 Jun 2011, 13:02

So, another slating for Duke.

It's a shame that so many gamers are praising this junk while Child of Eden barely scrapes into the top 25.

Todays gamers are a confused bunch-or is that easily led?
People on internet boards who constantly use the phrase "in my opinion" are often just talking boll*cks.
InsertMoreCredit 27

Postby cian84 » 21 Jun 2011, 13:24

I would say this review is the most in line with what I got out of the game. As the reviewer said some of the reviews have been ridiculously harsh as there are genuine moments of fun to be had. My overall thought throughout the game was there's some good ideas here that could be more properly exploited by better level designers - the shrunken monster truck level at the start summed it up for me first. You have this great initial concept of driving around in a 3D Micro Machines type world but they managed to make it really dull and uneventful. It doesn't compare at all to the shrunken Duke Burger level which I probably enjoyed the most out of the whole game.
cian84 46

Postby MPH » 21 Jun 2011, 13:26

"Downers:
Not even vaguely amusing"

Say what? I thought the game was hilarious in places. The gay Riverdance Duke does in front of the mirror when jumping is one such instance. The gay Riverdance Duke does in front of the mirror when jumping and holding poop is another.
MPH 52

Postby ensabahnur » 21 Jun 2011, 13:51

Guess somebodys off The Redner Groups christmas card list then.

TBH i think its a pretty fair score, i was unfortunate enough to be locked into buying the full game after signing up for the demo by shop-to (i really should have taken that as a warning) and i have to say i was highly disappointed with the game. You know you aren't getting a good game when you have to force yourself to play the first few levels. There was quite a few things wrong with the game from horrible texture loading, lazy level design to p**s poor weapons. And let not forget some of the longest loading i've seen in a game, honestly i felt like just turning it off there and then when i died a few times in a row.

Its good to see reviewers actually being honest about a games faults and marking it down accordingly, i just wish we could see some consistency in that. There's too many games getting the high 9's that just don't deserve them.

Then again this generation of gamers seem to think that anything lower than an 8.5 is a poor game. Maybe Mr Redner is one of these people?

P.S. is anyone else having problems with the site just now, i keep getting the login page appearing even though i've already signed in?
Last edited by ensabahnur on 21 Jun 2011, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 21 Jun 2011, 13:54

Well done CVG that's the fairest review i've seen written on it. Keep up the good work.

But would you want duke to take another 14 years to come back i thought that was the biggest problem.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby welshy32 » 21 Jun 2011, 14:22

This is the one argument I hate most - It would have fared better on xbox/ By Doom 3 / etc etc - Some of the mechanics feel old, but isn't that what everyone was hoping for?
Just because a game is using old designs its poor? Battlefield/CoD/MAG/MoH are all the same yet get 9s?
Are all Speccy and Megadrive games, and all the ones we loved from yesteryear poor now because they are now old?

Duke is probably worth a 7.5.. broken and rough, but its the first game since Gears 2 that I could be bothered to finish all the way through because it amused me.. funny enough and entertaining.

Bring on Duke 5!
welshy32 36

Postby Moribundman » 21 Jun 2011, 14:32

The timing of this wouldn't have anything to do with Take 2's ads running their course on CVG would it? ;-)

Still, unlike the game: better late than never...

I'll shut up now 8)
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby Moribundman » 21 Jun 2011, 14:47

InsertMoreCredit wrote:So, another slating for Duke.

It's a shame that so many gamers are praising this junk while Child of Eden barely scrapes into the top 25.

It would help sales if Child of Eden didn't require people to buy a £100+ peripheral as a prerequisite to play.

Vast swaithes of otherwise keen core gamers won't buy it until kinect supports more "proper" games in a sensible way, and the casuals who bought kinect for Christmas are still playing Kinect Adventures or the one additional game they got with it... MS probably found this out pre-E3, prompting their cosying up to the paying core gamers they shunned last year...
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 21 Jun 2011, 15:20

Moribundman wrote:

It would help sales if Child of Eden didn't require people to buy a £100+ peripheral as a prerequisite to play.

Vast swaithes of otherwise keen core gamers won't buy it until kinect supports more "proper" games in a sensible way, and the casuals who bought kinect for Christmas are still playing Kinect Adventures or the one additional game they got with it... MS probably found this out pre-E3, prompting their cosying up to the paying core gamers they shunned last year...

It doesn't. you can play it with a pad if you want. I prefer using kinect for it but it is by no means a prerequisite.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby anytime » 21 Jun 2011, 15:41

5.9 isn't that bad anyway
anytime 45

Postby photoboy » 21 Jun 2011, 17:10

What's so wrong with first person platforming? One of the best platformers of this generation (IMHO) is Mirror's Edge and that was a first-person platformer. I don't think the lack of platforming in other FPS games is an indication of it being "padding" or outdated, I think it's an indication that modern FPS games are so rigid they can't do much beyond moving the player from one scripted set-piece to another with the occasional tank level stuck in to alleviate the boredom.

DNF should have been applauded for reminding us that FPS games can have variety in them, even if that is just to microwave popcorn or pump some iron. My only real criticisms of the game would be the lack of secret areas (one of Duke3D's biggest features) and that the dam section dragged on for a bit. It would have been nice to revisit Earth orbit and the moon like in Duke3D.

Still, at least CVG's review wasn't vindictively savage like some of them. The game is no classic, but it certainly didn't deserve the hostility it received from some quarters.
photoboy 47

Postby InsertMoreCredit » 21 Jun 2011, 17:44

Moribundman wrote:

Er, not only can you play it with a pad it's actually better doing so.

Might help if you did some research before posting.
People on internet boards who constantly use the phrase "in my opinion" are often just talking boll*cks.
InsertMoreCredit 27

Next