to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Time Extend: Far Cry 2

Your comments on our articles.

Welcome back to the jungle...

Everyone in Leboa-Sako and Bowa-Seko wants you dead. Sure, there's the guy who drives you into town who seems nice enough and a friendly vicar or two, but not one of them will help when your intended assassination target is pointing your own gun at you and a civil war is erupting outside.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Time Extend: Far Cry 2

Postby Jimmy Luxury » 18 Jun 2011, 21:58

I love these sentiments! Love them! It pretty much describes my relationship with this game. I have long since stopped playing it, I can see it sitting there, gathering dust next to the Chronicles of Riddick and God of War Collection. Every time I look at my collection and I see it there, knowing full well I haven't finished it, I just can't bring myself to play it. I got sick of everything killing me, including sodding malaria. It's an excercise in self flagelation, this game. For all it's promise and potential, it just made me sodding angry. Who wants to come home from work, having spent almost a day's wage on a leisure pursuit that makes them wish they were back at work? f**k you, FarCry 2!
Bring back Super Skidmarks. Cow racing FTW.
Jimmy Luxury 47

Re: Time Extend: Far Cry 2

Postby Metatasian » 19 Jun 2011, 10:55

Far Cry 2 was a steaming heap of shite! How many f'ing times do I have to clear out the same check point I drove past 15 seconds ago, fully restocked with militia who magically appear right in front of your eyes! Not to mention the fact that I acquired malaria early on, great! everything about this game was sub par, the driving, the shooting, the missions, the AI, the menu system, I could go on...
Metatasian 39

Postby Reegeee » 19 Jun 2011, 12:46

What a load of absolute cobblers.

The guy writing it basically says, 'it doesn't really work, but imagine if it worked! That probably wouldn't work now would it?'

Make your mind up!

In my opinion it didn't work and was a boring mess. The malaria thing was just a stroke of complete idiocy and half the time it was just boring. Even the basics like turning while running weren't done very well.
Future wants to close CVG. Lets try and stop that with this petition Change.org
Reegeee 72

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby bleugh » 19 Jun 2011, 13:47

Seriously all I'm getting from this feature is that you suck at the game. Seriously, I love Far Cry 2, it's an underrated gem if you don't try to play it like it's Call of Duty. Because it's not.

I'm not saying it's not flawed - for example the checkpoints are far too common, the 'categorised' weapon system doesn't work brilliantly cause you can't easily carry enough weapons to play to the experimental strengths of the game until you have found many diamonds and in pursuit of player choice, they made a very well-told story into a bit of an aimless mess, but there is soooooo much in this game that's BRILLIANT that if you buy into it you don't really mind.

The main thing that really makes me love it is that I felt more emotion than I have in almost any other game when my friends were gunned down, because if they die it's your fault and not part of the script, and the characters are very strong.

FC3 looks very promising, though putting you back on another tropical island and making you Mr. Generic 30-ish White American seems like something of a step backwards.
bleugh 28

Postby Ali_ » 19 Jun 2011, 13:47

I can only echo everyone elses disappointment in this game. Add to those points the fact that you could only save at safe houses, so any mistake in an hour long mission meant a tedious slog to get back to where you were, and the fact that the jungle and open world wasn't. It was wide corridors and rooms disguised, quite artfully, as an open world, like a glorified Atic Atac. It really wasn't anything new at all, it just gave a glimpse into what might be possible in the next generation, much like Crysis 2 did. But, ultimately, both were far more traditional FPSs than they led you to believe.
Ali_ 56

Postby MutilateTheDead » 19 Jun 2011, 14:58

bleugh wrote:Seriously all I'm getting from this feature is that you suck at the game. Seriously, I love Far Cry 2, it's an underrated gem if you don't try to play it like it's Call of Duty. Because it's not.

I'm not saying it's not flawed - for example the checkpoints are far too common, the 'categorised' weapon system doesn't work brilliantly cause you can't easily carry enough weapons to play to the experimental strengths of the game until you have found many diamonds and in pursuit of player choice, they made a very well-told story into a bit of an aimless mess, but there is soooooo much in this game that's BRILLIANT that if you buy into it you don't really mind.

The main thing that really makes me love it is that I felt more emotion than I have in almost any other game when my friends were gunned down, because if they die it's your fault and not part of the script, and the characters are very strong.

FC3 looks very promising, though putting you back on another tropical island and making you Mr. Generic 30-ish White American seems like something of a step backwards.

The game was TERRIBLE ... that is all! Even people saying it was s**t are overrating it!
MutilateTheDead 49

Xbox Live: MutilateTheDead
PSN ID: IHave1Ball

Postby Adam81uk » 19 Jun 2011, 17:34

MutilateTheDead wrote:
bleugh wrote:Seriously all I'm getting from this feature is that you suck at the game. Seriously, I love Far Cry 2, it's an underrated gem if you don't try to play it like it's Call of Duty. Because it's not.

The game was TERRIBLE ... that is all! Even people saying it was s**t are overrating it!

You know others are allowed a different opinion, stating what you think doesnt make it fact.

Far Cry 2 was one of the first games i played on the ps3, and yeah it had many failings (noteability the checkpoints) but i think it got a few things right and i enjoyed the difficulty and challenge in completing it; and the multiplayer was fun and compared favourably to other games at the time and was very much underated. Indeed Capture the diamond worked very well on the maps provided and was more enjoyable to me than Crysis 2's multiplayer amongst others.
Adam81uk 40

Postby budge » 19 Jun 2011, 18:51

I completed it and really liked the game. There was nothing better than the serene feeling i felt after securing a safehouse.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby TheExpendable » 19 Jun 2011, 20:25

The overriding memory from this game for me was, when you start the game and have your machete. I thought GREAT! all this foliage and dense environments, i could be a stealth BEAST and take out an entire camp before they even knew. OHH how wrong i was. even sniping from half a mile away on a ridge, the enemy have eyes of an eagle and start shooting at you, i mean seriously, ive never seen such awareness from any enemy in my life!

i love how they fool you into thinking stealth is an option, stealth is impossible in that game, enemies spot you miles away and that always means you have to fight your way through everything. and for me, that completely ruined it.
PSN: The_Expendable_
TheExpendable 41

Postby icedmetal57 » 19 Jun 2011, 21:11

TheExpendable wrote:The overriding memory from this game for me was, when you start the game and have your machete. I thought GREAT! all this foliage and dense environments, i could be a stealth BEAST and take out an entire camp before they even knew. OHH how wrong i was. even sniping from half a mile away on a ridge, the enemy have eyes of an eagle and start shooting at you, i mean seriously, ive never seen such awareness from any enemy in my life!

i love how they fool you into thinking stealth is an option, stealth is impossible in that game, enemies spot you miles away and that always means you have to fight your way through everything. and for me, that completely ruined it.

Well, then you weren't doing it, I was able to hide quickly without a problem. Even in the main town in the first area of the game where there was a cease fire. They handled just fine. I was able to silently kill someone, someone else would notice the corpse shortly after then they'd go looking for me and when they found me I was still able to hide even in an area surrounded by enemies like that town. As for the sniping thing, yeah people are able to tell where the bullet came from, but they were never able to find me instantly, if I just sat there they'd find me so you would have to relocate to stay hidden. This wasn't a game where you could camp and easily pick off your enemies one by one from afar and I liked that.
icedmetal57 35

Postby Augustus_aka_AG » 20 Jun 2011, 12:48

There was only one good thing about Far Cry 2. Fire. And once you had experienced the novelty of virtual arson, it was equally satisfying to eject the disc and burn it in a real fire.
Augustus_aka_AG 32

Postby feeg86 » 20 Jun 2011, 13:48

Far Cry was broken. A broken mess. I only feel sorry for the guy that brought it off me on ebay. Sucker.
feeg86 43

Postby dragonjim » 20 Jun 2011, 15:29

the game isn't broken, people just don't play it right.
dragonjim 31

Postby lawless1891 » 20 Jun 2011, 18:48

Far Cry 2...is my Quantum of Solace.
lawless1891 58

Postby Jesuslookslikeme » 20 Jun 2011, 21:26

The most underrated game on the 360, in my opinion. Yes, the malaria was about as much fun as, um, having a chronic disease and the checkpoints were far too quick to re-populate. But the sense of immersion (slightly ruined by some dodgy voice acting) and the freedom to approach each skirmish however you wanted, were the things that made the campaign special. The combat was tight, the weapons many and varied, and the plot was surprisingly sophisticated for a modern shooter.

My favourite aspect was the multiplayer, which attracted a dedicated and decent-sized community because it was bloody good. I, along with several of my mates, spent many a happy month playing Capture the Diamond. The user made content added real longevity to the multiplayer mode without any need for price-gouging dlc and I wish more console games would ship with map-making tools like FC2.
Jesuslookslikeme 1
New user

Next